Shoes in the home?

Forum: Large Families

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By partyofeleven
  • 1 Post By UrbanMomma

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Large Families LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 18th, 2014, 12:19 PM
4 Boys & 4 Girls !
Do you allow shoes ( that have been worn outside) to be worn inside the home?

If you dont, like me, do you have a sign in the entrance of your home that says it?

How do you handle guests that dont want to? Do you provide new socks or new slippers?

Or do you not give a rip?
April 18th, 2014, 12:43 PM
HalfDozen's Avatar Formerly Number5OnTheWay
I'd say I'm in the not giving a rip category. Growing up, we all wore our shoes quite a bit of the time, and my dad hardly ever took his off. I kind of picked up on it. Most times, I wear some type of shoes. And I definitely don't make visitors take them off. We have a few that do, but that's because that's what they do at their house anyhow.

My biggest struggle is our hardwood floors. I hate them!!! Everyone goes on about how wonderful they are, and in certain rooms, that's true. But seriously, we can NOT get them clean, and they're way more work than carpeting. My son's clothes are constantly filthy from crawling all over them, and I know we never had those issues with carpeting. A little more info than you asked for....

New picture in progress......
April 18th, 2014, 02:27 PM
Repti.Mom's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
People are supposed to take off their shoes. I'm not chinese so they can wear their own socks or bring slippers if they want lol

April 18th, 2014, 02:40 PM
partyofeleven's Avatar Member
I fought for years to have our house be shoe free but no matter what, my dh leaves his on. As my boys have gotten older,they follow his lead. The house we live in now is all hard floors and when someone wears shoes, it's inevitable they get dirty, so my socks are always filthy. I gave up and bought myself some fun house shoes. In like them because they give me more support since I'm on my feet most of heat day anyways. I generally tell people to leave their shoes on. Our floors are hard and cold in the winters and I am embarrassed by how quick their socks would get dirty. We sweep several times a day and mop weekly but that's the best I can do and there will still be dirt, so I go with it and pick better battles.
HalfDozen likes this.

April 18th, 2014, 04:29 PM
4 Boys & 4 Girls !
Im not chinese either, but I do provide either or. We never wear shoes that we wear outside the home, inside. I think because of my back issues, its hard for me to go barefoot so I have several different brands of good quality flip flops that I wear.

My kids will wear socks usually and also bare feet sometimes. We have seperate slippers that are for the bathrooms. and those stay just outside the door to wear as you enter.

However, I am not a shoe natzi. I do have a guest sometimes not remove them and I dont make an issue of it, thats what my swiffer and carpet shampooer are for. lool. I just personally cant stand the thought of dragging into my house all the germs and junk from the grounds especially after going to places like the zoo, parks (because of the pets peeing and pooping) and the hospital. I know I am being ridiculously stupid with thinking like that but just cant changit lool.
April 18th, 2014, 06:08 PM
angelinal09's Avatar Super Mommy
We try to have a shoe-free home. I have one dd who loves to go barefoot (even outside, little hippie, lol) and one who HATES taking off her shoes (even for bed, little weirdo, lol). We very rarely have guests (outside of the kids friends, who usually take off their shoes without being asked) so it's not really an issue. The one or two times a year we do, they can leave their shoes on.
April 18th, 2014, 06:18 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I think I fall in the "don't give a rip" category.
April 18th, 2014, 07:24 PM
Mom to 8 amazing kids
Shoes off because we have goatheads, they're nasty thorn like things that hurt worse then a Lego being stepped on. My husbands the worst about not taking off his shows, especially before work. Lupan seems to think he doesn't have to anymore, which drives me crazy. I often vacuum twice a day because of the goatheads.

Guest usually take them off but if they don't I don't care that much. I just pull out the vacuum and vacuum behind them lol. Elderly or injured people are always exempt though.
April 19th, 2014, 10:32 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Everyone takes their shoes off in the winter because of the snow we always have here.

I wear my sandals in and out in the summer, and I get to because I am the one that mops the floors.

I few of my elderly haircutting clients keep their shoes on and that's totally fine. The only people that tick me off is my sister and dad, because they're just being inconsiderate. I'll tell people to keep their shoes on if I'm going to be mopping in the near future (and my floor is already very dirty) otherwise everyone takes them off.

Sidenote, in Holland where I am from no one takes their shoes off to come into the house. And many people will wear their shoes in their own home, which is pretty nutty to me, but they think we're weird for taking our shoes off, so it's just what you're used to.
April 19th, 2014, 12:50 PM
UrbanMomma's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to UrbanMomma
Don't care
Farmers-wife likes this.
Nehemiaah Franklin 11/10/14 4:16am 9lbs 9oz
Welcome to the world lil' man!!
April 19th, 2014, 10:33 PM
Farmers-wife's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Dh and I get dressed including tie up shoes every morning before we leave our room. Shoes stay on all day til I'm getting in bed. We can barely get the kids to put shoes on.
April 20th, 2014, 10:14 AM
Platinum Supermommy
DH, myself, and the kids don't wear shoes in the house. Just because we like being barefooted... We have a shoe rack by the front door. Guests can leave them on or take them off, I don't care.
April 20th, 2014, 02:47 PM
4 Boys & 4 Girls !
M2M Im really glad you xplained 'goatheads' loool
April 24th, 2014, 12:30 AM
deaths final kiss's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm thinking of making a cute sign when we move to hang in the entryway/shoe area telling everyone (guests) to remove their shoes. If you see a pile of shoes at the door, and everyone is barefoot, take a hint, and remove your shoes! It pisses me off! I always ask when I go to someone's house. If they wear their shoes, I keep mine on, if not, I remove them. DH is waaay better about taking off his shoes now, but always wore them in the house before. My oldest two are pretty well trained, the "baby" wears hers sometimes, if my hands are full when we come in, and I can't remove them. I think it's gross, you walk in so much crud outside your home, I don't want it inside. /shudder

Angels 3-27-04 9wks, 6-2-14 8w5d

April 24th, 2014, 04:21 PM
Mega Super Mommy
We are 100% shoes off in the house and guests to. We always have babies crawling on the carpets and wood,tile floors. We used to always live on a farm. We don't have all the animals at the moment but I still demand NO shoes. I was raised that way and DH was not but my floors stay cleaner...at least in my mind they do. LOL

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search