Do any of you suffer from chronic pain or illness?

Forum: Large Families

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree9Likes
  • 5 Post By HalfDozen
  • 1 Post By mom2many2010
  • 1 Post By Farmers-wife
  • 1 Post By Repti.Mom
  • 1 Post By UrbanMomma

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Large Families LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 18th, 2014, 11:22 AM
4 Boys & 4 Girls !
Do your children know? How do you manage it?

Does any of your children have a chronic condition or illness?
April 18th, 2014, 11:30 AM
UrbanMomma's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to UrbanMomma
No, luckily, no one here suffers from anything chronic.
#12 is on the way
April 18th, 2014, 11:44 AM
HalfDozen's Avatar Formerly Number5OnTheWay
Not here, either. Sorry! Unless you count chronic pregnancy.

April 18th, 2014, 05:13 PM
Mega Super Mommy
i do - asthma. it is well controlled now due to new meds but for my kids childhood, they knew how to give me my emergency shots to save my life. they also knew if i was gone when they woke up in the morning, it meant i had gone to the ER in the night and to mind the oldest kid till i got home.

~~terre~~
April 18th, 2014, 05:13 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I cracked up laughing at chronic pregnancy.

I have arthritis, I have painkillers for it but I only take them when I need to. It's only new (past 18 months or so) so it's not really bad just yet. Kids know about it, it's a little hard to miss when I'm hobbling around.
April 18th, 2014, 06:28 PM
Mom to 8 amazing kids
My back always hurts, big boobs will do that, then there's my sciatic. Most of the time it's livable, sometimes I crawl through my house it's so bad. I went to the doc a few times and they just give me exercises. I just deal with it.

We do have a few other issues but nothing to bad.
April 18th, 2014, 10:01 PM
4 Boys & 4 Girls !
Only Dd1 has activity induced asthma and keeps an inhaler in her backpack for at school. The rest are ok so far FX'd.

Cybele what type of arthritis do you have, if you dont mind sharing?

I have OA osteoarthritis and a big list of back neck issues, cyst in my right knee that causes spurts of pain sometimes and the list goes on and on, just had my MRI so waiting to find out if my new hip pain is related to my back getting worse of if its a new problem, lool.

I really try to keep going and although it slows me down sometimes and body lets me know when Ive done to much, I try my best not to let it stop me from doing my daily tasks. I do usually get things done and done well but I do worry about how my conditions affect my children and dh. I dont have pitty parties for myself and the more I get done everyday, just pushes me on to do more.

I dont share my issues with anyone except a couple of close friends. I have an in-law that suffers from a chronic 'illness' but I dont really relate to much to that person.

If you were to 'look' at me, you would not know I suffer. I look fine, and am good at not showing my pain when I hurt except for when my walking is affected, then like Cybele, you can see from my 'hobbling' that im not ok.

I really dont know why I posted about this, I guess in a way it nice to talk about it and get it out but maybe connecting with other moms that understand what its like dealing with this because for whatever reasons people tend to be critical and dont have to nice of things to say when it comes to it. sort of a 'prejudgement' attitude.
April 18th, 2014, 11:16 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Same as you, OA. It's mostly in my hands and hips at the moment.

I kind of know what you mean, there have been times when my hips have been playing up when I've gotten looks if I'm with my youngest, but I don't seem to get them when I'm with my teenagers. But I think that's really more along the lines of that older women having children stigma rather then the fact that I'm not walking great.
April 19th, 2014, 06:34 AM
Mom to 8 amazing kids
My MIL has had multiple back surgeries, actually when I met my husband a lot of our first dates were at his house cause his mom was recovering from one, and his older brother was to bothered to help out.

Looking at her, you wouldn't know, if you know her well you'll see a bad day cause she walks off, a little slower. On a really bad day she just doesn't get out of bed. She has a handicapped parking pass, whatever they are called, and I've heard people make comments. Most of the time she just ignores them, sometimes (usually a day she's in a lot of pain) she'll pull her shirt up so they can see the scars. They shut right up, but it goes to the whole 'if you can't see it, it must not be bad' mentality. Its also a mentality that people have towards mental health.

You'll get no judgement from me.
AmiraX4 likes this.
April 19th, 2014, 09:46 PM
Farmers-wife's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I just made this point with a fb friend (very close in high school). She made the same comment about someone in a parking lot. As much as I don't want someone in pain, I wish she had done that to my friend. Also, I knew a young woman in college who had brain surgery and a plate. In her head. She really wasn't supposed to be out in the sun for long periods. So she had the handicap parking sticker. You would never know to look at her.

But to the op, no. None of us has chronic anything. My back always hurts, but it is poor posture and no abs from babies and no exercise. I could make it better, but I'm too lazy.
AmiraX4 likes this.
April 20th, 2014, 10:09 AM
Repti.Mom's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Nothing too bad here. Bastian doesn't poop, so I guess he's got chronic constipation issues. I think it's from him trying to control things, not from anything medical, because miralax doesn't do much of anything.

I need to get myself into the chiro for my arm numbness/pain, it's only usually bad if I've gone for lots of walks (pushing stroller) or when I'm pregnant. Last pregnancy it was so bad I'd get up and icy hot my entire right arm so I didn't have to feel the pain inside. I don't know where the pain is coming from, it's a good portion of my arm that goes numb, from elbow down so it's not carpal tunnel. I refuse to have surgery.

April 20th, 2014, 01:32 PM
4 Boys & 4 Girls !
Repti----that totally sounds like a neck issue? you could some problems with your discs in the neck! From what I learnedfrom my neck problems, any numbing in the arm/hand/finger needs to be looked into.. an MRI.

hopefully its not though.

M2M---have you been seen by a rhuemy doctor? you may find help and given a diagnosis.
April 20th, 2014, 02:50 PM
I just need to stop being a procrastinator lol it's only like $3 for the set of xrays and then $1 copay. I get all seven kids in already so it's just a little extra paperwork and time.

April 22nd, 2014, 09:35 AM
4 Boys & 4 Girls !
Repti I didnt understand completely. Xrays as in the ones that show bones? thats a great price. Or do you mean MRI for $3? Is that your insurance covering all that? did all your children need mri's or xrays?

sorry...just didnt get it?? but still, you seriously will never get better rate than that even for just a reg doctor visit! and is that after your yearly deductable?
April 22nd, 2014, 11:21 AM
That is for the chiro, they just check to make sure if you have any bone fusing or anything I suppose. They don't do them for the kids, they just do this little back scan thing.

We get medicaid here, so yes that is all I pay for co-pay. Some places don't have any co-pay, my medications are $1, dermatologist is $3, some bloodwork is $3-$5.
Medicaid here goes from free to $200 a month depending on income, now that obama care is in effect
AmiraX4 likes this.

April 22nd, 2014, 11:57 AM
UrbanMomma's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to UrbanMomma
I used to have really bad sciatica, but it is better, a lot better, since I did physical therapy for the herniated disk in my back. Doesn't bother me at all now.
AmiraX4 likes this.
#12 is on the way
April 22nd, 2014, 01:15 PM
4 Boys & 4 Girls !
That is GOOD coverage repti!!

I dont know if any of you that suffer at times from sciatica ever use tennis balls? you can use it for your lower back too as a pressure point.
April 22nd, 2014, 02:36 PM
Jayde used them for foot pain. I used to have the same thing where it feels like your tendon in your foot is tearing.

April 28th, 2014, 07:41 PM
6 Girls and 4 Boys
I deal with ulcerative colitis. My colon works when it feels like it. I used to be in the hospital a lot. Its been better the last few years. The kids were born knowing all about mommy having a ickycolon. Lol. So many ofmine are older so its not so hard any more but used to be. My poor husband had to hire a nanny for one whole summer so I could recooperate in bed. Cost us a fortune but I needed help.But my kids all chip in and are much older if I ever got that bad again.
May 3rd, 2014, 10:54 AM
I have suffered through 3 bad head injuries. I have chronic headaches, degenerative disk disease in my neck, and more pain than I like to deal with daily! My kids know that I have headaches a lot and are good about helping me out when I need it. My dh has his own chronic pain and is so supportive of the days I have to stay in bed. I was taking a lot of muscle relaxers and pain killers, but I got off of them all when I got pregnant and now go to the chiro 2x a week. It is not a cure-all, but it definitely helps!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search