Drinking alcohol when your kids are home

Forum: Large Families

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By UrbanMomma
  • 1 Post By cybele

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Large Families LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 31st, 2014, 11:16 AM
4 Boys & 4 Girls !
First off, this is NOT a topic about wrong or right. The question does NOT imply being alcoholic.

Neither me or my Dh ( or anyone (mostly anyways)in our entire families ) drink alcohol. We pay close attention that nothing we eat has been in contact with alcohol either. That decision is not only faith based but personal choice as well. Am NOT judging anyone who chooses to drink as I totally understand we are NOT the norm when it comes to that choice.

I have tried it in the past. Dh never has. Although the friuty cocktails do taste good even non alcoholic versions, I could not drink one without feeling 'buzzed'. I dont like that feeling. Probablly would benefit from a drink now and then though so Im not so 'uptight'! lool I personally would not be able to drink and parent at the same time. Thats just me though.

Do any of you drink alcohol when your kids are home? Do you tend to drink it when they are sleeping or away?
What would happen if you accidently drank 1 too many? Anyone have a funny story?
Also, does anyone drink and breastfeed at the same time?
May 31st, 2014, 03:29 PM
Mega Super Mommy
The reason why you would feel buzzed after one cocktail is because they are a mix of spirits (occasionally wine, but mostly spirits) so you can consume multiple standard drinks in one go. There are some cocktails that can contain up to five or six standard drinks. So one cocktail can be the equivalent of drinking five beers or even eight glasses of white wine (depending on your glass size, of course).

If I go on what is in my fridge at the moment, I have a white wine that is 3.6 standard drinks per bottle (around 5-6 glasses) and a red that is 3.8 per bottle. Just to give you a rough idea of exactly what you are consuming when you drink a cocktail.

(A standard drink, and I'm sorry, I only know the metric measurement for this, is 10g of alcohol contained in whatever serving size, so if we are talking something like whiskey or vodka or gin, 30ml is one standard drink, for a white wine, around 110ml is a standard drink)

Following all that, yeah, obviously I drink. My kids are very familiar with alcohol, they know it's a adult drink, I think it does them some good to see it consumed in moderation, it takes the excitement and fun out of it if it's just a regular, everyday thing. That's just my view though. We don't actually have an official legal drinking age in Australia, we have a legal age of purchase, which is 18, but if provided by parents it is not illegal for 'underage' people to consume alcohol, nor is it illegal for a parent to provide it for their own child. With that said, our household rule is from 16 upwards you can have a drink at home if you ask first.

To answer the questions though, instead of going off on another tangent.

Yes drink at home.
When they are asleep or when they are awake, I don't really care.
It's never happened, if you know your alcohol and serving it to yourself it doesn't tend to happen.
I did drink while breastfeeding, alcohol works itself out of breastmilk the same way it works itself out of your bloodstream, the general rule of thumb is it takes two hours to work itself out of your bloodstream, 60mins after consumption, per standard drink. So if you consume 2 standard drinks, 4 hours, 3, 6 hours, and so on.
May 31st, 2014, 09:43 PM
Farmers-wife's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We don't drink at all, but I will cook with wine. My mother and almost her whole family are alcoholics. I drank a lot in college and got so sick one time I was sick for three days. Never drank again.
June 1st, 2014, 07:02 AM
Mom to 8 amazing kids
I do not drink, not because I object there has just never been anything that interest me, plus I come from a background where alcohol always led to something bad so that's kind of always taken the appeal away for me.

My husband might have a beer here or there, or when hunting, but that's about it. When he was younger he'd push it more, but even that wasn't very often.

No alcohol for my kids until they are 21. I don't have many hills as a parent but that is one of them, sure they had the occasional sip or taste, but nothing more then that.

Lupan (#3) was admitted for alcohol poisoning in college. It was about fitting in. He learned a very valuable lesson. Megan's a prude so I don't ever see her drinking and Sam has a beer here and there.

No funny alcohol stories here. All the stories I have are tragic.
June 1st, 2014, 11:20 AM
4 Boys & 4 Girls !
oh golly Cybele...all that went right over me.. From living in the UK for almost 4yrs, I know the legal drinking varies.

My neighbors are good examples of being able to drink and parent. They all are pretty easy going. Most of them dont have an issue either with drinking while the kids are there and other peoples children as well. They dont get all sloppy drunk or promote drinking in any way. Some can even have like 3 drinks and still be completely normal.

They host parties ( not always alcohol served ) and sometimes kids will be there. No issues and kids are responsibly looked after. The only really funny story I can think of is when they bring the game out to play where you have to guess by words what the drawing or person is. That is funny to watch and I think ( notsure) its more funny because of being more relaxed maybe and get more animated or whatever.
June 1st, 2014, 11:35 AM
4 Boys & 4 Girls !
oh... I just wanted to add that no one that I know who does drink, designates a parent or anything. And if they know they will be overdrinking then they either bring a sitter and go out or send the kids to family/friends.
June 1st, 2014, 02:10 PM
deaths final kiss's Avatar Super Mommy
I don't get "wasted" around the kids, but do enjoy a couple beers or something when they're asleep to relax. Haven't much at all this year for $ reasons though. I was/am still nursing, but got the milk screening tests so I could tell what my limit was for affecting my milk. If I did drink more it was when DH could take care of the kids if they woke up, he rarely has a sip of mine, if that.

Angels 3-27-04 9wks, 6-2-14 8w5d

June 2nd, 2014, 05:34 AM
Repti.Mom's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
This is wisconsin. We drink at home, at other people's homes, bars, weddings, baby showers, ball games etc etc. Kids are allowed to drink alcohol (even in bars) with parents present. I fully intend to bring the baby to the bar that sponsors our softball team in Jan/Feb when we get sick of sitting home all the time and I know the baby will wake while we're gone.

I never had a problem drinking while breastfeeding. If you have a drink while they are nursing for the last time for the night, by the time it gets to the milk they are in bed for the night, at least my last three were awesome sleepers. They were the only ones I breast fed.
ANYWAY, I don't get totally wasted a lot, I don't aim to get totally drunk when I drink. Usually 1-3 beers then I'm in bed.
Some people complain about the culture here, but if they don't like it, they can move to a state where it's not such a huge revenue.

June 2nd, 2014, 06:06 AM
HalfDozen's Avatar Formerly Number5OnTheWay
I'm not a big fan of alcohol. I just don't really like the taste. And the last 3-4 years, I have been constantly pregnant and/or nursing so it's not really an option for me. Every great once in a while, I will have a drink while nursing, but it's not frequent. My kids have seen me have a drink, but they know it's not often. I just don't like the way it makes me feel, and if I can taste the alcohol, I don't like it. Hubby will have a few beers or a mixed drink in front of them, but again, it's not every day. He does it far more often than I do, but still not what I would call a "regular" occurrence. Since neither one of us would drink to get drunk with the kids around, we've never had to designate a parent. If his intention is to get drunk, he does it out with friends, and I always drive home.

June 2nd, 2014, 08:02 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Funny how these things come up in here when it's just been a topic of conversation at our house.

We don't want our kids to think alcohol is bad, because it isn't, the abuse of it is. Dh and both like having a drink in a social setting, I love having a glass of wine with some friends. We usually only have 1 or 2, and depending on how long the evening is, never more than 3. We only have drinks with our friends, when we are in a social setting in our community I have 1 drink, but usually 0. I don't like it at ALL when there's people that drink just to get drunk. I actually didn't drink for like a decade, when I was pregnant and nursing. I went to a wine tasting a few years ago and I was pretty giddy when i got home, my older kids still bring it up

I do like having a drink, but if you told me tomorrow I could never have one again I'd be just fine. People around here drink A LOT. And alcohol is very expensive here. (think more than 1.5x of US prices).

Legal drinking age is 18 here, but there's lots of high school students that drink way too much on a regular basis. My oldest is 16, and she goes to parties on rare occasions. I let her take a few drinks. I'd rather guide the process than have her get her hands on booze behind my back and have way more than is good for her. Occasionally we will let her have a cooler or whatever with us. I want to remove the "forbidden" aspect before she moves out. I see these kids on a tight reign that go absolutely crazy when they move out, so hopefully she's made her own wise choices about it.
June 2nd, 2014, 10:04 AM
UrbanMomma's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to UrbanMomma
Some of you know dh had an alcohol problem and was in rehab. He is a recovering alcoholic with a little over 3 years sober, because of his status, I choose not to drink at all in support. I was pregnant when he went in to rehab, so I haven't had a drink in over 4 years.
#12 is on the way
June 2nd, 2014, 08:36 PM
6 Girls and 4 Boys
I am allergic to alcohol and DH is a type 1 diabetic and very very very rarely will have ONE beer or a teeny bit of whine during the holidays.So we are out! LOL
June 3rd, 2014, 03:26 AM
Mega Super Mommy
A friend of mine put this on facebook and it made me think of this thread so I'm just going to leave it here.

AmiraX4 likes this.
June 3rd, 2014, 08:03 AM
4 Boys & 4 Girls !
Thats funny!!

I could have thought I was drunk for a min because it took me about that to figure out the meaning, I thought at first it was meaning a maybe or undecided BUT then it clicked
July 13th, 2014, 03:04 PM
Jenilope's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Jenilope
We drink with the kids at home. Not a ton, I'll enjoy 1-2 beers or some wine in the evening now and again with DH and will drink a little more when we're having a party. I won't drink at all when someone else's kids are here, unless the parent is also here. I don't drink to get impaired. I do really enjoy champagne though, and DH and I have a "date night" every Friday after the kids are in bed and we'll have a drink with our dinner and enjoy eachother's company.
If we're away, on our own, like a vacation or something, we'll drink more (but the last time was 3 years ago!!)
And when I'm pregnant I ask DH not to have more than 2 drinks for the last 4 weeks so he can drive to the hospital if I go into labor (and because I'm miserable at that point and want company)
I do drink a little while breastfeeding and have had a glass of champagne rarely while pregnant (like Christmas, New Year or weddings)

July 21st, 2014, 01:46 PM
sarah*'s Avatar Loving My Piglets
We don't drink, only on special occasions, which happen like once a year, then we will just have a few... so we have never had a drink at home around the kids etc

I just edited to add it was not always that way, as a teenager and while I was at school I would get drunk all the time on everything!! and pre-kids I was drinking all the time so I think I just wore myself out, drinking does not bother me in the slightest anymore, I have worn that one out lol

Sarah (27) married to Stuart (31)
together for 10.5 years married for 4.5 years.
mummy too....
Ryleigh (8yrs - April 24th 2006)
Rhianna (7yrs - June 7th 2007)
Lacey (6yrs - June 5th 2008)
Lucas (4yrs - April 26th 2010)
Connor (1yrs - February 15th 2013)

Last edited by sarah*; July 21st, 2014 at 01:48 PM.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search