I need to know....

Forum: Large Families

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree10Likes
  • 3 Post By mom2many2010
  • 6 Post By cybele
  • 1 Post By AmiraX4

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Large Families LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 18th, 2014, 12:39 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I read "push gifts" in the other thread.

I need to know....

Who all get's them and what do you get?

I've never gotten one.
July 18th, 2014, 01:25 PM
Mom to 8 amazing kids
I've never gotten one, I kinda assumed that I would be pushing as part of giving birth. Never, until recently, new that you should be gifted for doing it, I mean isn't the baby the gift?
July 18th, 2014, 01:43 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I think all my kids pre-dated that idea.
July 18th, 2014, 02:17 PM
Mega Super Mommy
My husband says the baby is the gift. I don't get the whole concept of "push gifts". Your getting a BABY, there is no greater gift than that.
July 19th, 2014, 12:05 PM
Jenilope's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Jenilope
I haven't ever gotten one, but I wouldn't exactly turn my nose up at a pampering treat or nice memento of the jewelry variety if we could afford it!

July 19th, 2014, 06:53 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I think the baby is the gift too, lol.
July 20th, 2014, 12:37 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Wait, does it count when I had #2 at 4am and the hospital kitchen and cafeteria weren't open yet, and they only had meat sandwiches in the overnight fridge, and I was absolutely starving, so my husband bought me 8 chocolate bars from the vending machine?

8 chocolate bars is a present, right?
July 20th, 2014, 03:22 PM
Farmers-wife's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I never heard of them til I had 5 or 6. Maybe when I joined here and see more of how others do things. We don't do that. Although I'm thinking of doing a family "sex reveal" party this time. Just my kids though. No one else will care.
July 20th, 2014, 08:09 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Don't sex reveal parties involve coloured cake? Because I can completely get behind anything that has to do with cake.
July 20th, 2014, 09:17 PM
Farmers-wife's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
It can be anything. The picture I saw today had a box closed with balloons that popped up when it was opened. Blue balloons for boy. I think my kids would be amused by that. Again, no one else would care. Then we could have chocolate cake.
July 21st, 2014, 01:19 AM
4 Boys & 4 Girls !
I have.
I have recieved different types of jewlery, dress, bangle braceltes (22k gold ) and my favorite....Diamonds! im sure there are other things that cant think of right now.

Dh gives them to me as a way of saying he appreciates the hardships I have gone through during pregnancy and delivery.

That sounds a bit weird that accepting a gift, means you dont consider the baby a "gift".

Even at the baby shower, half of the gifts are for mom too. Whats the difference of recieving a gift then or when the baby is delivered?
Also, when guests and family visit in hospital or once home they too bring gifts for baby and mom, so how is that any different?

Gifts are usually given for happiness and appreciation. Example, my child is graduating HS so I dont get a gift because graduating and getting your "diploma" is the "best" gift one could have????
#5in2005 likes this.
July 21st, 2014, 02:24 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I guess different things play into it though. I know for us we're not really the gift giving kind of people, we don't do gifts for things like high school graduation or anything that isn't a birthday or Yule, really. We feast a lot, we celebrate everything with too many people in the extended family squeezed into someone's house that should not fit that many people and a ridiculous amount of food, and fire, if you see a bonfire, chances are there is someone from my husband's extended family there.
When my kids were born, we came home and had a massive family party and set some things on fire. Not everyone's cup of tea, but everyone celebrates a new baby in different ways, some people buy gifts, some people send out photo cards to everyone they know, some people set a chair on fire. Different strokes.

Last edited by cybele; July 21st, 2014 at 02:29 AM.
July 26th, 2014, 09:43 PM
Veteran
My husband got me balloons and a card everytime but I don't expect anything for pushing out a baby lol.
July 27th, 2014, 05:56 AM
UrbanMomma's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to UrbanMomma
nope, no gifts.
#12 is on the way
July 28th, 2014, 07:46 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Just to be clear, I don't think there's a thing wrong with it! In fact, I think I would have probably really liked it. It's a love language thing I guess, and to me, getting a gift would have been significant having a piece of jewellery or whatnot tied to a memory. I have a friend that hasa gotten a substantial gift each time when she had her 3 babies (half carat diamond earrings anyone?). Now I'd probably be furious if dh spent money on something like that, but I don't think I would have minded a gift. I think it's a nice idea, as long as it's not felt as a financial burden or obligation.
July 29th, 2014, 07:01 PM
HalfDozen's Avatar Formerly Number5OnTheWay
I've never really gotten one, unless you count the flowers that I got when I had #2 (our first together). I don't really expect anything, but like #5, I wouldn't turn it away, either. However, I would probably be upset if hubby spent that much money on me, particularly right now when I am not working full time, and we don't have much extra disposable income.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search