new here.. into and question

Forum: Large Families

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree14Likes
  • 2 Post By UrbanMomma
  • 2 Post By #5in2005
  • 1 Post By MIL2lissy8
  • 2 Post By HalfDozen
  • 2 Post By #5in2005
  • 5 Post By UrbanMomma

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Large Families LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 4th, 2014, 10:51 AM
Regular
Hi im 25 and been married almost 7 yrs to hubs. We have 3 boys 6 and 2 yrs old. And 6 months old. And a 4 yr old daughter. Weve always wanted a big family. But his family isnt suportive at all!! Hubbys gma told me in may to get my tubes tied......So it sucks for us with in law drama!!

Now my question is.. how many kids do you all have? And how many bedrooms?
We have 4 kids and 4 bedrooms and people say thats not enough!!!!
August 4th, 2014, 12:43 PM
UrbanMomma's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to UrbanMomma
The most important people in your decision on how many children to have are YOU and DH, everyone else can kick rocks. Unless they are paying all your bills, then perhaps they deserve a say.

I have 11, expecting #12 in late October/early November. My oldest son (19) is already married and moved out onto his own.

Our home is a three bedroom bungalow, 1300 sq ft.
Jenilope and HalfDozen like this.
Nehemiaah Franklin 11/10/14 4:16am 9lbs 9oz
Welcome to the world lil' man!!
August 4th, 2014, 01:38 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Yup, ignoring the insensitive remarks (that often come from family members) is something we all have to do in here. You just have to have a deaf ear to what "people" say, but I think it does get to you every once in a while. I've personally about had it with the "all girls" comments again after we've just gone on a trip. (handshakes for dh because he's a hero surviving in a house with 6 woman etc).

Anyways, we have 5 girls and though we live in a very basic house, we do have space. 6 bedrooms and 3200 sq ft.
Jenilope and HalfDozen like this.
August 4th, 2014, 01:45 PM
Mega Super Mommy
i raised 4 kids, 3 boys and 1 girl. i got by with a 3 bedroom, 1100 square foot house, a 4 bedroom 1460 sq ft house and a 4 bedroom plus office that was 2560 sq ft. its all in how you choose to manage it. don't let your people make you feel inferior ---its your choice to have a large family and its your gift to enjoy it!!!!!
Jenilope likes this.

~~terre~~
August 4th, 2014, 01:56 PM
HalfDozen's Avatar Formerly Number5OnTheWay
I'm pregnant with #6. We have a 4-bedroom. My mother-in-law doesn't know where we'll put everyone. Well, since #4 & #2 share and #3 and #5 share, and #1 will be leaving in a year for college, and #6 will sleep in our room for about a year, I think we're in pretty good shape. I mean, if she WANTS to give us money to finish off part of the basement, well then, by all means!!
UrbanMomma and Jenilope like this.

New picture in progress......
August 4th, 2014, 02:57 PM
Jenilope's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Jenilope
Ditto to everyone else, you have to let the comments roll off your back or let the peanut gallery know their opinion has not been requested.

We only have 4 right now. All girls, 6, almost 5, almost 3 and the baby will be 1 on Friday.
We're trying for 5 and we'll see how we feel after that.
We do have a big house right now. Well, big to me, about 2,300 sq feet and 5 bedrooms. But, 1&2 prefer to share, and I'm sure 3&4 will also share when they are a little bigger (3 already loves to get to spend the night with her sisters occasionally!) I think we'd be able to fit fine in 3 bedrooms without feeling a pinch. As long as everyone has somewhere to sleep, it's all about managing the stuff. I have a friend in town who has 4 little boys in a 2 bedroom house and they were talking about moving somewhere bigger and her kids cried that they didn't want to leave their cozy room with 4 bunk beds, so they're staying put!

People get so worked up and over-opinionated about anything having to do with kids. I guess it's something that is so important to most parents that some people seem to take it as an insult to the way they did/do things if you do anything differently. It's not you, it's them.

August 4th, 2014, 03:32 PM
Mom to 8 amazing kids
Your womb, your choice. Ignore them, if they aren't supporting you and your children they don't get a say.

I have 8 in a 4 bedroom, 1 bath home.
August 4th, 2014, 06:33 PM
Mega Super Mommy
You are the one raising the kids, so it's up to you how many you have.

We have a 4bdr+study house, 5 of our own plus one extra who lives with us full time and one who lives with us part time. Our 20yo and her partner share the 'loft' (it says loft on the floor plan but it's not a proper loft, it's just a weird upstairs room that the prior owners plopped up there), 17yo shares one of the larger bedrooms with his friend when he's here, 14yo and 6yo have the smaller bedrooms and 12yo has the study.

1.5 bathrooms (a full and an en suite in the master that just has a shower and a sink.)
August 4th, 2014, 09:44 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Welcome

Just ignore them....it's your life!

We have four kids and a three bedroom place. It's fine. With four bedrooms I feel like you could have any number of kids...a master, a boys room, a girls room, and a nursery for your littlest ones. Or just split them into two rooms, and make the fourth a playroom. If the toys are out of the rooms you can make more sleeping space.
August 4th, 2014, 11:55 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Expecting #4 in a 3 bedroom 2bath not huge house. Girls share a room. So two girls in the one room and eventually the other room will be the boy's/boys. Don't know what we are having yet. Looking forward to finding out gender but first I just want to know how far along I am!!! I highly doubt my dad will react well to the news considering his reaction to number three.

I could see fitting six kids in here if it were an even split, can't predict that though. I guess you just make do as each one comes along, like anything else in life.
August 5th, 2014, 08:27 AM
Regular
Thanks everyone. My husband brought up more kids last night. Im like dear we have a 6month old. And he says yes! And you got pregnant with him when our youngest was 10 months so ill get back to you in 4months!!

He wants more kids but doesnt want to be vocal about it to anyone else because his family thinks we should of stopped after 2 since we had a boy and a girl..... but then his family thimks its an oppsie baby..... its a lose lose for us when we announce pregnancies
August 5th, 2014, 09:00 AM
Platinum Supermommy
When I was pregnant with #5 I started telling everyone that we've always wanted 8, so really I was just passing the halfway mark. I have thrown out that we didn't believe in birth control, and, if I was feeling really snarky that we'd keep going until we had a boy.

But again, it is hard to be above it sometimes. You'd like each pregnancy to be something that's celebrated. It baffles me that families can be that way, if the pregnancy is a fact, then why not be happy about it.
Jenilope and MIL2lissy8 like this.
August 5th, 2014, 09:19 AM
UrbanMomma's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to UrbanMomma
When people ask me if I am done now, I tell them I am getting old so I plan on getting on fertility drugs so I can double or triple them up......
Nehemiaah Franklin 11/10/14 4:16am 9lbs 9oz
Welcome to the world lil' man!!
August 5th, 2014, 11:13 AM
Farmers-wife's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Same advice as above. People think were crazy. Maybe we are. I have 10 coming in February, but 1 is leaving in 3 weeks (eeek!). Our house is very small, 3/2 1382 sqft. 4 boys in one room, 5 girls in the other. Dh works from home and we are in the biggest bedroom, which is also his office and music hall.

Even I wonder if we are stupid, but it is likely pregnancy brain. Also, I found the more people insisted we should be done made me want to have more, more. A friend always said she wants two more.
August 5th, 2014, 12:24 PM
Repti.Mom's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We have four bedrooms and coming up on #8 in Dec. Three boys in one room three girls in the other, and the baby has his own room right now until the new baby is big enough to be in there.
Our basement is a play room so no toys in the bedrooms, and there's quite a bit of space up there.

August 6th, 2014, 06:04 PM
Iluvmybabies*'s Avatar Proud Mama to 5 girls
Send a message via MSN to Iluvmybabies*
Welcome

I have 5 daughters and a baby due in February and we live in a 3 bedroom 1 bath lol we will have the 2 youngest with us and then 2 in one room and 2 in another
We intend on moving one day but not now so we make due
Karrara 9 1/2 01/11/05, Kaiah 8 07/1/06, Kayda 6 1/2 01/12/08
Katara 2 1/2 02/10/12, Korra 1 10/10/13

August 7th, 2014, 12:08 PM
Veteran
We are expecting #4 and have four bedrooms. But we only use the two upstairs (we are in a split level). We have the two older ones in one and the toddler with us. At some point, we'll move the toddler in with the other two. The two bedrooms downstairs are currently used as an office and a guest/storage room (my parents come visit a lot and it's nice to have a room for them).

Ideally, DH and I will eventually move into the guestroom and leave the kids the two upstairs bedrooms. I think it's great for them to share a room and at this point, they really prefer it. My two oldest still sleep in the same bed most of the time. DH would rather them have their own rooms and we have proposed moving our oldest to his own room but he absolutely does not want to!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search