kids staying home alone overnight

Forum: Large Families

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By cybele
  • 1 Post By Farmers-wife
  • 1 Post By UrbanMomma

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Large Families LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 5th, 2014, 10:08 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Have you mom's with older kids encountered this? Having your kids home alone overnight without you there? How old were they? And just for fun, for those that aren't there yet, what age do you think your child will be before you're okay with this.

#1 and #2 are staying home alone tomorrow night. #1 pointed out that when she suggested this last fall after she had just turned 16 I wouldn't hear of it. She is going to be 17 next month and somehow we've become okay with it. I'll be at a campground 15 minutes away, so it's not like I'm far away if they need me. And I have no issues with trust, but, it's still weird to have such a big and independent kid.
August 6th, 2014, 02:47 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I don't really have a set age, I'm more of a "prove to me that I can trust you" person. So it's a different age for all of them. My older two, sure, but I would trust my 12yr old to not burn the house down more than I would trust my 14yr old.

That said, if my 20yr old, her partner or my 17yr old are home I know that their younger siblings listen to them enough to be left alone with them. We've had to do it before for medical emergency reasons and it worked out fine, not sure if that's a real thing or a "this is a serious situation so I am behaving myself" thing though.
angelinal09 likes this.
August 6th, 2014, 05:01 AM
Farmers-wife's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by #5in2005 View Post
Have you mom's with older kids encountered this? Having your kids home alone overnight without you there? How old were they? And just for fun, for those that aren't there yet, what age do you think your child will be before you're okay with this.

#1 and #2 are staying home alone tomorrow night. #1 pointed out that when she suggested this last fall after she had just turned 16 I wouldn't hear of it. She is going to be 17 next month and somehow we've become okay with it. I'll be at a campground 15 minutes away, so it's not like I'm far away if they need me. And I have no issues with trust, but, it's still weird to have such a big and independent kid.
I would only allow it if one was over 18. It is just my paranoia about the headlines reading: "mother leaves 9 children home alone" if something were to happen. I always get a young adult to come stay if we both have to be gone. Now that my oldest is 18 we did leave them overnight for dh's birthday. But she is leaving for school in two weeks so I'm back to finding young adults.
MIL2lissy8 likes this.
August 6th, 2014, 05:20 AM
Platinum Supermommy
We are not there yet... I am thinking around 15 or 16. It depends on the kids obviously. I'll have to see how mature and trustworthy I think they are when the time comes.
August 6th, 2014, 07:26 AM
Mom to 8 amazing kids
Mine were over 18, and it was Sam, someone has to stay home and take care of the dogs.
August 6th, 2014, 08:41 AM
Repti.Mom's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Maybe mid-upper teen if some of the others were having sleepovers at friend's houses. I could see Noah and Jayde taking care of maybe 2-3 of them. I know my house would be a disaster when I got back though, they're just not as clean and detailed as I am with stuff.

August 6th, 2014, 10:03 AM
UrbanMomma's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to UrbanMomma
I feel like 18 is my comfort zone. I would leave Aaron (18 in October) here if I had to, with Elijaah (15 1/2), and I would trust him with the middles, but not the littles. Like FW, its more my paranoia than anything else. I suffer from worst case scenario syndrome.
MIL2lissy8 likes this.
#12 is on the way
August 6th, 2014, 11:17 AM
Platinum Supermommy
The younger 3 will be with me. I don't think I'd leave all of them home alone overnight unless it was an emergency. It's not like I don't think they'd be fine, but I just wouldn't feel comfortable with it.

I'm not letting #4 stay home alone overnight until she's 27
August 6th, 2014, 07:45 PM
HalfDozen's Avatar Formerly Number5OnTheWay
My girls all stayed home alone when I had #5 last year. We had a friend stop by that evening to check on them, and she came back the next morning to make sure the older girls got the bus and to take #4 with her. The girls were just more comfortable in their own beds than sleeping at our friend's house. It's not something we would do on a regular basis necessarily.

August 8th, 2014, 06:40 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I could have written the headline! I am worried that something would happen and it would be "Mother of 10 leaves them home alone to go vacationing!" Our oldest is 14, and begs to be left alone during the day. It's not that we don't trust her, she's more than capable, it's just it's a lot of littles. Sorry I'm no help!

August 11th, 2014, 08:04 AM
Platinum Supermommy
#1 ended up staying home 3 nights, 2 with her sister and 1 with a friend. It went great, and they thought it was fun, but I'm pleased to report they like it better when the rest of us are around. And they liked that I cared enough not to like it.
August 11th, 2014, 11:59 AM
sarah*'s Avatar Loving My Piglets
I stayed home alone when i was 14 for a week... i hated it!! i dont think i would leave my children home alone that youg, i would see at 16

Sarah (27) married to Stuart (31)
together for 10.5 years married for 4.5 years.
mummy too....
Ryleigh (8yrs - April 24th 2006)
Rhianna (7yrs - June 7th 2007)
Lacey (6yrs - June 5th 2008)
Lucas (4yrs - April 26th 2010)
Connor (1yrs - February 15th 2013)

August 28th, 2014, 07:55 AM
We have left them all home alone with the almost 18 year old. However, I would not leave him (or any of those less than 18) home alone because I know what some teens like to do.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search