Managing time?

Forum: Large Families

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree6Likes
  • 5 Post By Farmers-wife
  • 1 Post By sarahlorrain

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Large Families LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 11th, 2014, 12:43 AM
Mega Super Mommy
How do you manage your time, between getting housework and cooking done and takings kids on playdates and to activities?
August 11th, 2014, 05:58 AM
Farmers-wife's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by jersey_gray View Post
How do you manage your time, between getting housework and cooking done and takings kids on playdates and to activities?
Poorly.
August 11th, 2014, 07:35 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I have a list of things I went to get done each day...once a week I deep clean the kitchen, once a week I do the living room, and so on... If I am pressed on time I just spend less time on the jobs. 15 minutes spent straightening looks a lot better than none. I do laundry every day. I try to get the big kids to help here and there. The older two are good at doing dishes and all four can help with the pets. I'm a sahm, so I try to get the bulk of my big jobs done during the day. Katy has a morning dance class I run her to once a week, and I volunteer one morning a week, but mostly I keep our weekdays open. Afternoons I am busy with the older kids and their sports and church activities...same with weekends really.
August 11th, 2014, 08:35 AM
Repti.Mom's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I have my same cleaning routine every day. When you do the stuff every day it's not too bad to clean.

August 11th, 2014, 09:08 AM
UrbanMomma's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to UrbanMomma
Playdates and activites? I am sorry, could you explain these to me? LOL

We don't do those really. My 15 yo plays football for high school, and the 17 yo works (thats an activity to me), and we just get them there. Sometimes my oldest son or DIL will help out with a ride. As far as the middles and littles, they are each others playdates.

I only work p/t when I am not on leave (like now), so I have more time at home to get cleaning and cooking done. It just is what it is. Sometimes a room is messy. Oh well. LOL
Nehemiaah Franklin 11/10/14 4:16am 9lbs 9oz
Welcome to the world lil' man!!
August 11th, 2014, 09:20 AM
Platinum Supermommy
We really limited activities. The kids all had piano lessons and did do anything church related, but while they were younger we hardly had them in anything. When my older kids were younger I felt pressure to have them in stuff, because everyone else did, and then I realized that there's lots of them for them to pursue their own interests when they're a little older, and that my sanity is more important, and, with lots of siblings comes lots of entertainment. As far as playdates, they did happen, but much less frequently than with families with 2 or 3 kids.As far as getting things done (again, going back to when they were little) I just planned to get 1 or 2 weekly jobs done every day between everything else. Now it's different...I clean my whole house in one day, and then have another day that I do laundry and tidy the house and then we're good to go. Good thing too, the kids are older....they're doing stuff
August 11th, 2014, 01:03 PM
sarah*'s Avatar Loving My Piglets
My 6 year old does rainbows and my older girl 7 does brownies, these are both on a monday night, i pick them up from school at 3.15.. drop 6yr old of to rainbows for 4.30pm.. pick her up at 5.30pm at the same time drop of the 7year old at brownies and pick her up again at 6.30pm thats enough activity for me!

I clean during the day while they go to school, after drop off i come home and do general tidying etc

Sarah (27) married to Stuart (32)
together for 11 years married for 5 years.
mummy too....
Ryleigh (8yrs - April 24th 2006)
Rhianna (7yrs - June 7th 2007)
Lacey (6yrs - June 5th 2008)
Lucas (4yrs - April 26th 2010)
Connor (1yrs - February 15th 2013)

August 11th, 2014, 04:04 PM
Mega Super Mommy
For us it's never one person's job. There are 8 people in our house capable of cooking dinner. 9 capable of cleaning. There is no reason for it all to fall on me.

When everyone pitches in there is more time to do other things. In addition to that once kids get a certain age they are responsible for their own social lives, which makes it much easier.
August 12th, 2014, 11:09 AM
Jenilope's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Jenilope
My kids are still pretty little, but able to help out with some things--like when I get the groceries they help prep all the produce and portion snacks. They are in charge of cleaning their own rooms, making their beds, putting their laundry in the hamper, and they each have a common area in the house to tidy up every day, as well as general self-maintenance and clearing their table. So that helps (although, at this point, I can't really say it's saving me any time, it will pay off when they're bigger!)
I also have a schedule for my cleaning, cooking, errands, bills and correspondence.
When I volunteer, I try to make it at church or something else that the kids are already doing so it happens at the same time and I don't need a sitter.
I have a housekeeper 9 hours a week and a sitter for 3 hours on Friday afternoons so I can go on a date with my husband.
For play dates, unless the mom and I are really good friends, I try to just do drop off play dates, when another kid is here they are generally ALL out of my hair and I can get a lot done. I love to schedule play dates on freezer cooking days!
And we had to cut back on activities. This summer, we did martial arts, ballet, camp, art class, preschool class, play dates, swimming and music. It was way too much. For the school year, we insist they do swimming and church choir. And they can each pick one more thing from a list of activities we approve of that fit our budget and schedule. It was really hard for me to decide to drop martial arts and art classes and all the "fun" stuff, especially because most kids in our area are doing all that stuff. But, most families in our area are not similar to ours and we have to cut back to do what is best for us--a sane mother who isn't driving all day, time to spend together as a family, and unstructured time for the kids to just be kids and get bored and live.

So, I'd say share the work, schedule the mundane chores (check out FlyLady if that's an area that's making you feel swamped) and talk to your partner about what your priorities are concerning activities away from home and set up boundaries that reflect those priorities.

August 12th, 2014, 11:40 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Great responses, thank you all. We already do less than my mommy friends do but still seems to much at times. I don't know how my friends go to all the things they go to, this is the first summer I tried to "keep up" and now I'm just tired and want to stay home some!
August 17th, 2014, 11:20 AM
sarahlorrain's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We try to limit activities but it's hard when you have so many kids, even if each child only has 1 activity' that's still a lot! We pretty much stick to the same things (Sunday and Wednesday church; everyone goes, soccer; 3 play, xcountry; 2 run, and 4H shooting; 2 do that). So not everyone does everything but when things overlap, like this fall, soccer, xcountry, and 4H shooting will all overlap so it will crazy for sure. During times like these, we eat frozen pizza more often than I care to admit. I am trying to use the crockpot more often though, and that helps a lot.

My house isn't as clean as I'd like but we get by. We also have a routine where we do the same things every day and that keeps it manageable.
Jenilope likes this.

Owner of HomeJobsForMom.com
August 21st, 2014, 12:07 PM
Yeah it gets so hard to manage all things at the same time. Even though it may seem silly I write down all of the things I need to get done and it really prevents me from getting overwhelmed.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search