What do you and your dh do for a living?

Forum: Large Families

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Large Families LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 8th, 2006, 08:07 PM
Stacey's Avatar Super Star...mom to 6 ♥
I was just curious on how you guys make it with so many kids!~

Even though I would like more kids, I struggle...moneywise....with the 4 I have and would love to know how you all do it! I really do want to have more and feel like Im going to regret not having anymore just because of money reasons.

Im a SAHM and dh works for the United States Postal Service...we live in NY where things arent cheap! Totally stinks!

August 8th, 2006, 10:07 PM
Platinum Supermommy
We have a dairy farm and I do some haircutting.

Because of our farm we have a huge mortgage, and because of the huge mortgage we pay a lot of interest, and because of all that interest we get put in a very low tax bracket, and because of that low tax bracket (and we live in Canada) we get a substancial child tax benefit, so that really helps.

I sometimes wonder about back to school shopping or whatever when all 5 girls are in school. I always figure there really isn't that big of a difference financially between 4 or 5 kids. I am done with my 5 but I have to say that money was not a factor in that decision.

The thing is, even if we made more money, we would get used to that and want to make a bit more and so on.
August 9th, 2006, 11:33 AM
Mega Super Mommy
We used to custom harvest, we sold our combine in May. Now my hubby hauls agriculture products with our truck (semi) and I'm a sahm. Wouldn't pay for me to work and pay a babysitter. I'd rather take care of my own.

August 9th, 2006, 08:06 PM
Mommyx12's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I am a sahm and dh is a transportation account manager. He manages drivers, plans loads and deals with the customer that the account is for. We make a lot more with this job than when he was in the Army, but it seems like the more you make the more you spend. We do ok, though. We have always had all our needs met and so many of our wants.
August 10th, 2006, 10:10 AM
Veteran
I am a SAHM and my hubby is in sales. Money was never a factor in deciding how many children to have. We always seem to make it work. I do sell my kids used clothing on eBay and sometimes babysit my nephew for extra cash. Both my father and my FIL own businesses so they tend to spoil the kids. If you feel like you want another child, but you think money is holding you back, I say go ahead and have the baby. Everything will work itself out. If everybody waited for the perfect time to have a baby there would be a lot of childless couples!!!
August 10th, 2006, 06:55 PM
Send a message via MSN to sarahann Send a message via Yahoo to sarahann
I'm a Nurse and my Fiance is in the Army

Thanks Sugar+Spicex3 for this Awesome Blinkie
August 11th, 2006, 09:52 PM
Bakin8th's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hi ladies I couldnt resist the age old question...how does one afford a large family. We have been blessed my dh is retired for a 2 yrs now after a mishap at work and it was settled by his insurance resulting in a full time income for life. But because it nontaxable we to ( in Canada) qualify for a good portion of Family allowance. We are stewards of our finances and thro that blessed to be able to provide a comfertable life for our family. Now that freedom has allowed us to do full time missions as well as college for me. Money was never a deciding factor in how many kids we decided to have.

Irene, Happy mom to 7
#8 EDD April 2nd
& 3 angels in heaven

Ttcing #9 After TWO 2nd trimester loss's and FIVE 1st trimester loss's. Missing our 8 ANGEL'S

IUI W/CLOMID/TRIGGER FEB 12/13 09!

Kyle (absent) Chelsea, Miki, Hanna, Johna, Sari, Jessiah and Isaiah.

THE LORD GIVES AND TAKES AWAY MY HEART WILL CHOOSE TO SAY BLESSED BE HIS WONDERFUL NAME!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Our 8 Greatly missed Angels
12W, 6W, 6W, 9W 1 twin, 5W
17W twins (sex unkown) and "Elijah"
17W "Angel"
August 12th, 2006, 11:41 AM
momoftwinsand1's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My dh works for edys ice cream and I do in home daycare. I only watch teachers kids so I do get my summers off.
John Allen 4-4-06, VBAC 6 pounds 2 ounces 19 inches long
Paige Belle 5-21-07, VBAC 5 pounds 9 ounces 17 inches
Ava Marie 2-28-09, VBAC 5 pounds 10 ounces,16 1/2 inches
Jackson Douglas 2-13-13, VBAC 6 pounds 5 ounces, 19 inches
August 13th, 2006, 01:54 PM
<span style="font-family:Verdana">My partner works as an office manager for a computer firm, and I do p/t work from home in the evenings typing/editing.</span>

August 13th, 2006, 02:29 PM
Denise66's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My dh works for a large grocery chain in management full time and works part time at United Cerebal Palsey and I am a SAHM.

August 15th, 2006, 07:18 PM
sara~b's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to sara~b
I only have one daughter so far but my partner and I both work in Nondestructive Testing. I'm in Fluorescent Penetrant Inspection and he does Ultrasonic Inspection. Only thing holding me back from another one is I want to be married and assured that daddy will be around forever. Do what your heart tells you to do. GL.

Running for my health and sanity!
PR's: 5k-25:05 (old PR 25:10), 5M-45:03 (old PR - 47:22), 10k - 52:00 (approximate - training), HM-2:25:58 (ran a 2:17:36 during marathon), Full- 4:49:25 (old PR -5:49:40), 50k-7:05:56, 50M-13:31:14, 100k- 18:59:31 (old PR 20:56)
(All of these PR's are going down this season!)

My Pregnancy Chart: http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/1c6297
August 16th, 2006, 09:21 AM
mpwife_89's Avatar Veteran
I am a sahm and my husband of nearly 18 years is in the Army.

Nicholas 17
Ashlee 16
Cassidy 14
Anthony 13
Dominic 18 months
Roman, Born July 6, 2006 at 1503, 9lbs 8ozs

August 18th, 2006, 07:33 AM
Lotsakids's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
What do you and your dh do for a living?[/b]
Make babies (That wasn't very funny, but I just couldn't resist!)
My hubby is a farm hand & a postal worker. Exciting stuff. I am a SAHM.

Mama to -
DD16, DD15, DD13, DS11, DS5, DD3

Evelyn Isobel is here! Born - 2nd November 2013
August 18th, 2006, 09:05 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I am a domestic engineer and dh is a truck driver.

August 21st, 2006, 08:28 AM
MamaAshley's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I don't actually qualify for this forum yet b/c I only have 3 kiddos (I say "only" lightly!). But, I plan on having probably 1 or 2 more in the future. My DH is a Unix Systems Admin. and i'm a SAHM. DH works from home too, which is nice (sometimes! hehe). He makes pretty good money, but I still worry about things like providing all the kids with money for college, car, etc..

Ashley, pre-RN student, birth doula and busy SAHM to Brianne 6, Colin 5, Kylie 4,
Bryson 2,and our lil man Noah Alexander turns one year on 7/5/10!

August 21st, 2006, 12:21 PM
Willowkarr's Avatar Coupon Blogger
My husband works at Wal*Mart, and gets paid pretty well, for what the average pay is around here. He makes about $4 more than the average (not the minimum, but the average). We have 3 children, and 1 on the way, and want 6 more. I am a SAHM, and love it...money wise....he assures me we are fine (I don't deal with the $, I'm not good w/ paying bills on time, lol) and that we will be fine even if we meet our 6 child goal, and I trust him 100%!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search