what is the age gap between your kids?

Forum: Large Families

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Large Families LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 10th, 2006, 03:11 PM
Deyamemin's Avatar Super Mommy
Hello There,
I currently have only one child who is 8 months old. Me and DH would like to have 4 or 5 kids. We love kids! And my boy has been so easy so far!i am 24 and i would like to finish having children when i am in 30`s..i want to get pregnant again when my baby becomes a year old.he still nurses. if he doesnt wean himself i will delay it until he weans..
I wonder if you had kids very close in age how did you like it? I sometimes feel like i cant handle it! On the other hand we are alone in USA all our family is back in Europe so my children will be best friends to each other. they wont be alone here without relatives. So they can go to school at the same time...e.t.c

Please share your opinions with me. If you were me would you wait?
What are the pros and cons?

August 10th, 2006, 08:42 PM
Stacey's Avatar Super Star...mom to 6 ♥
I started having kids at 17 and swore that I wanted to be done when I was 30...well that didnt happen...LOL...However the only one that was planned was my first dd and I was 29 when I had her.

Here are my kids ages:

BOYS:
18 in September

GIRLS:
6 on the 19th

Lets start off with the boys....They are almost 2 years apart and they are sooooo close. Always have been from when they were little! It was really easy raising them because they always had each other...to this day they do everything together and I LOVE it! They are each others best friend ..It really is special!

They get along with my 6 year old but most of the time get annoyed with her....She wants to play with them all the time but they have no interest...It could also be because my 6 year old is a girl and they are boys but Im sure it also has to do with such a big age gap between them.

As for my 1 year old...Well of course shes well liked, shes still a baby...LOL...All the kids are great with her. I would love for her to have a baby sister or brother to grow up with and be 2 years apart like the boys were but Im pretty sure Im done having kids.

August 11th, 2006, 12:11 AM
Deyamemin's Avatar Super Mommy
Thanks Stacey for the insight! Was it hard for you to take care 2 boys who are very close in age? Was it better when you had your 6 year old?

My mum had widely spaced children. I am 24 my siblings, sister 18 another sister 10 and a brother 4 years old.i always wanted my sister be closer to my age.When i was a teen she was kid, and now she is a teen and other one is kid. However, we couldnt be friend.I always felt like older sister who takes care of her siblings.So i would like to have my children close. But not sure how hard it is. Is it doable?

August 11th, 2006, 07:20 AM
Platinum Supermommy
between my 1st and 2nd there are 19 months
between my 2nd and 3rd there are 18 months
between my 3rd and 4th there are 24 months
between my 4th and 5th there are 36 months

I really like having them close together, my kids have so much fun together. It was pretty hectic when I had 3 in just over 3 years, but that first year is over before you know it. My fourth was a preemie, so it took us a while to get brave enough to have another, I find the 3 year age gap plenty much for my youngest, for myself it has been kinda nice.

But you know, it's hard to say what age spacing is great, it depends a lot on their personalities too. My first 3 are really close together, but I don't really think it would have been all that much easier had they been spaced a bit further apart, then I wouldn't have known any different and probably still would have been just as busy.
August 11th, 2006, 07:42 AM
Mommyx12's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Mine are all pretty close in age. My first two are 20 mos apart, girl/ boy. They get along well. There are 3 years between my 2nd and 3rd, boy /girl. They are getting along pretty well now, but I noticed a difference in they way they treat each other. Between 3rd and 4th 19 mos, 4th and 5th 20 mos. There is 14 mos, between my 5th, 6th and 7th. Having the first two close seemed the hardest at first, only because there were two little ones that I had to do pretty much everything for. Once they got older and able to do more for themselves it got a lot easier. It was a great help that they could play together. Now my oldest two are 11 and 9, so they are able to help out with the younger ones. They all entertain one another. Before the youngest is able to actually play, I could often times just put them in a safe place where they could see the others and they were happy to sit and watch all the others play and move around. I love having a large family. I remember it seeming harder earlier on when I had fewer. But for me alot is my attitude. I always keep in mind that they are babies for a short time, but cleaning will always be there. When they are small I do the "have to" things and get to anything else as time allows. I stuggled with feeling like I just had to do everything right now, but I think most moms struggle with that no matter how many kids. It's very doable, you just have to keep in mind during the harder times that it does get so much easier as they get older. I prefer them close and if I could go back I'd keep it the same except for maybe having my 2nd and 3rd closer. It seems he had the hardest time of all of them adjusting to a new sibling, but it could just be his personality. Good luck I hope it all works out for you!!
August 11th, 2006, 12:25 PM
Toban's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My kids were born in Nov. 1998, April 2001, and October 2005.
August 11th, 2006, 07:57 PM
Stacey's Avatar Super Star...mom to 6 ♥
Quote:
Thanks Stacey for the insight! Was it hard for you to take care 2 boys who are very close in age? Was it better when you had your 6 year old?

My mum had widely spaced children. I am 24 my siblings, sister 18 another sister 10 and a brother 4 years old.i always wanted my sister be closer to my age.When i was a teen she was kid, and now she is a teen and other one is kid. However, we couldnt be friend.I always felt like older sister who takes care of her siblings.So i would like to have my children close. But not sure how hard it is. Is it doable? [/b]

For me it was soooo easy to have the two so close in age! They always kept each other busy which gave me the time I needed to clean, cook and do all those other things I needed to do! I even got to sit and watch soap operas

When I had my 6 year old, things were a bit harder...The boys were NOT to happy that I was pregnant as they felt that they would have to take care of the new baby and I didnt want them to not like her because of that so I did EVERYTHING for my 6 year old. At that time the boys were 10 and 12. I never asked the boys to do anything. My plan was to have another sibling for her close in age but things in my life turned for the worst and that didnt happen. I HATE that shes like an only child most of the time....This is why I would also love to have another one for my 1 year old! ...

I do want to add now that the boys are much older, they help out willingly and I do love that!

I grew up with one of my sisters being 3 years older and my brother being 2 years younger. Even though me and my sister are close, me and my brother are super close and I think its becasue of the closeness in the age gap. Growing up we did everyting together... I also have another sister who is 9 years younger. It was hard to be close to her because she was always the baby. We are all a close knit family and I really like that....thats what I would like for my family!

August 13th, 2006, 02:08 PM
<span style="font-family:Verdana">There is 20 mths between my DS1 and DD1, 21 mths between DD1 and the twins, and 4 yrs 10 mths between the twins and DD2. I liked having my kids close together in age - which is partly why we're trying for #6 asap, b/c my older two are very close, and the twins are too, and I'd really like Freya to have a sibling near to her in age also - and, b/c of the larger gap between them, I wasn't sure how the twins would react when I told them I was expecting DD2, I was a little nervous about it but they were really pleased in the end. </span>

August 14th, 2006, 07:07 AM
~Trina~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to ~Trina~ Send a message via Yahoo to ~Trina~
Between #1 and #2 is 16 months
Between #2 and #3 is 4 years
Between #3 and #4 is 19 months
Between #4 and #5 will be 15 months

I prefer the spacing between #2 and #3 but obviously my body has other ideas....

"A woman is like a tea bag. You never know how strong she is until she gets into hot water." -- Eleanor Roosevelt
August 15th, 2006, 01:53 AM
Bakin8th's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
What a good question,
1,2 and 3 are about 2.5 yrs apart
Between my 3rd and 4th is 6 yrs ( unplanned gap)
Between my 4th,5th,6th and 7th is about 18 months when #7 was born we had 4 under 4 and LOVED it!!!
#8 is 18 months after #7 We will have 5 under 6, 4 under 4 and so on down the line when 8th is born.

I would have liked closer but my body had different ideas. We are planning the rest to be same spacing 18 months or closer.

We find all the kids get along and enjoy each other regardless of age and its nice as there is always a close in age playmate for any one child so they tend to amuse themsleves most time. Course when a new baby comes home thats always a big hit but the novilty wears off fast and the kids go back to there busness lol We aslo like to have the kids PT at about 24 months so we dont have 2 in diapers for very long at a time till next baby comes.

Irene Happy mom to 7
DS 16, DD 14, DD 12, DD 5, DS 4, DD2, DS 10 months #8 Edd April 2nd 2007
& 3 angels in heaven

Ttcing #9 After TWO 2nd trimester loss's and FIVE 1st trimester loss's. Missing our 8 ANGEL'S

IUI W/CLOMID/TRIGGER FEB 12/13 09!

Kyle (absent) Chelsea, Miki, Hanna, Johna, Sari, Jessiah and Isaiah.

THE LORD GIVES AND TAKES AWAY MY HEART WILL CHOOSE TO SAY BLESSED BE HIS WONDERFUL NAME!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Our 8 Greatly missed Angels
12W, 6W, 6W, 9W 1 twin, 5W
17W twins (sex unkown) and "Elijah"
17W "Angel"
August 16th, 2006, 03:25 PM
Mega Super Mommy
There is almost 13 months between #1(ds) and #2(dd), 20 months between #2 and #3(dd), 20 months between #3 and #4(ds) and 8 1/2 yrs between #4 and #5(ds). I liked having them close together, they played well and got along. We are entering teen yrs, so that is another issue! The older kids are a big help with the baby. He's rotten. Hubby has been making little comments here and there that Chase needs a little sister to have someone closer in age to play with. Yeah, uh huh. I wouldn't have changed the spacing if given the chance to do again. I'm happy with the spread we have.

August 18th, 2006, 07:13 AM
Lotsakids's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I fell pregnant with my first child at 17, & had my last at 23.

I have 19 months between 1 & 2
22 months between 2 & 3
24 months between 3 & 4

Mama to -
DD16, DD15, DD13, DS11, DS5, DD3

Evelyn Isobel is here! Born - 2nd November 2013
August 20th, 2006, 01:29 PM
Willowkarr's Avatar Coupon Blogger
My boys are 6 & 3, my daughter is 11 months and I am pg w/ #4 DD1 will be about 18 months when baby is born, we'd like to have 2 more. Well, we compromised at 2 more, lol. I'd have 30, but we can't afford it, lol. I am sure we'll have more than 6, but we're not planning more at the moment.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search