Hand-Me-Downs..yes, no, sometimes?

Forum: Large Families

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

View Poll Results: Bikes
Yes, good job. 5 62.50%
No, they should have their own bike no matter what. 1 12.50%
Not really sure. 2 25.00%
Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Large Families LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 24th, 2006, 04:05 PM
Willowkarr's Avatar Coupon Blogger
I am okay with hand-me-down clothes for my kids, and SOME toys, but my husband and I were having a conversation about bikes for all our kids. I am DEAD set against hand-me-down bikes, why should the oldest boy or oldest girl always get the shiney bike? Well we came to an agreement, I will allow hand-me-down bikes if he strips them down, re-paints them and customizes it for the next child, so they don't feel bad. In my opinion, most clothes around here are community use, lol, if they fit you, wear it. Toys are the same way, UNLESS, it is your special toy, ya know, but bikes, those are very personal. So yea, what is your thoughts on hand-me-down bikes, do you think the compromise we came to is good enough? Do you think the children will notice if he does the fixing in the shed where they won't see??
August 26th, 2006, 04:56 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I think your compromise is just fine, but I think depending how old your kids are they are still going to notice it's a "hand me down" bike.

My kids have all gotten a new bike before, but they got an older one from a friend last year and they thought it was just fine too. I don't have a problem with passing on the bikes, and at some point they will get a bike that is going to be big enough for them to keep, so they will have a new bike just for them then.
August 26th, 2006, 07:34 AM
MamaAshley's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I agree in that sometimes they'll get a hand-me-down, and sometimes they'll get new, in all aspects of life...

Ashley, pre-RN student, birth doula and busy SAHM to Brianne 6, Colin 5, Kylie 4,
Bryson 2,and our lil man Noah Alexander turns one year on 7/5/10!

August 26th, 2006, 08:23 AM
Kierasmom's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
All of our kids get new bikes because they are rough and mess up the old ones to much to pass down, lol. I think if it's something that's important to you then DH will just have to understand.

August 26th, 2006, 01:57 PM
Willowkarr's Avatar Coupon Blogger
Yea, I was worried that they would notice that it was an old bike, even if he isn't fixing it where they would see. I was an only child, and personally, if I had to share my bike with anyone, I'd be mad! I have no problem sharing anything else of mine, but I never liked to let other people ride my bike, that to me, is like asking a new friend if you can borrow their new car, ya know?
August 26th, 2006, 02:03 PM
~Trina~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to ~Trina~ Send a message via Yahoo to ~Trina~
My girls don't wear their bikes out enough to make them unusable. Most will get new bikes at some point through the years.... Both Alaina and Paige have already had a new bike but Paige's next one will be Alaina's from this year. Kira has her own new bike this summer too ....but Joshua will use it when he's big enough. I'm sure his next bike after that will be new because I won't make him ride a pink bike like I'm sure Kira's next one will be.

"A woman is like a tea bag. You never know how strong she is until she gets into hot water." -- Eleanor Roosevelt

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search