signed the papers for my tubal yesterday

Forum: Large Families

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Large Families LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 16th, 2006, 01:07 PM
fullhouseinNov06's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hey all,

Just thought I would ask here too, if any of you have had a tubal ligation? I know that this baby will be our last, and dh & I wanted to do something permenant. It came down to me having a tubal, because we spent so much in medical this year, that our ins. will pick up 100% of the cost. If we went with a vasectomy we'd have to pay for half of it. Right now with the cost of having another baby, we decided that I should go with the tubal. I am super nervous, I've never had surgery before in my life! Also, I know it is already difficult to care for a newborn after birth, but will be even more difficult after surgery. I guess I'm just not looking forward to it.

I know lots of you have large families, and are still planning more children, and that is fabulous!! I just know that 5 kids is enough for us. Has anyone else had a tubal without csection after their last baby? and if so, could you share recovery time, how much help will I need, etc? Any info would be helpful.

thanks so much,

Cheryl

September 16th, 2006, 02:03 PM
ShawnaCAN's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Hey all,

Just thought I would ask here too, if any of you have had a tubal ligation? I know that this baby will be our last, and dh & I wanted to do something permenant. It came down to me having a tubal, because we spent so much in medical this year, that our ins. will pick up 100% of the cost. If we went with a vasectomy we'd have to pay for half of it. Right now with the cost of having another baby, we decided that I should go with the tubal. I am super nervous, I've never had surgery before in my life! Also, I know it is already difficult to care for a newborn after birth, but will be even more difficult after surgery. I guess I'm just not looking forward to it.

I know lots of you have large families, and are still planning more children, and that is fabulous!! I just know that 5 kids is enough for us. Has anyone else had a tubal without csection after their last baby? and if so, could you share recovery time, how much help will I need, etc? Any info would be helpful.

thanks so much,

Cheryl[/b]

Just do your homework. Nothing worse than finding out the long term risks AFTER you're experiencing them.
www.tubal.org
September 16th, 2006, 06:38 PM
Stacey's Avatar Super Star...mom to 6 ♥
I dont know anything about it but a girl on my other board had one done....Feel free to stop on by and ask her...... Here is the link to our board July 2005 Playroom You may want to stop in other playrooms and ask around!

Good luck with everything. Thats such a hard decision to make......to final for me!

September 16th, 2006, 07:28 PM
~* LiSa *~
Hi Cheryl,

I'm the girl you're looking for. I had a tubal ligation one year after my youngest was born and while I thought it was the right choice for me, it turned out NOT to be. I am now saving my money for a tubal reversal, not because I want another baby, but because of the long term effects this tubal has had on me. I am not the same person anymore, by far. Most women that have had tubals can tell you that they are not the same as before the tubal. There is a syndrome associated with tubals that is referred to as 'Post Tubal Ligation Syndrome' and while the health professionals recognize that women do change after a tubal, they refuse to recognize it as a problem. I've done my research on PTLS and believe it or not, doctors are TOLD not to disclose this information to patients. For whatever reason they do this, I'm not sure. But it's heartbreaking because my family is now feeling the effects of my poor choice to have the ligation. I do not want to discourage you from having your tubes tied, but I would definately like to encourage you to please read up on PTLS. It is real, it exists. I have almost every symptom that is named on there, and I've talked with a few women on JM who have had tubals and they all report the same thing. Two of them had reversals and said almost all of their PTLS symptoms were gone.

If you were to talk to your doctor about PTLS, I'm not sure he/she would be able to give you info on it. As mentioned earlier, for some reason the medical board just doesn't want docs disclosing the long term effects this has on a woman. They claim the only effect is permanent sterilization. Not true!

As for my surgery, it was 15 minutes in duration, I was completely put under. I woke up while still in the OR. I felt a little sick, but was since they consider it an outpatient procedure, I was discharged a few hours later. I was able to walk, but it was a bit uncomfortable to stand up straight. The lower cut wasn't so bad, it was the belly button cut that hurt. The belly button is the cut where the doctor moves the instrument around, so the tissue there was vigorously rubbed. I wore sweats to my surgery, but wasn't able to wear them home because the elastic around the waist pressed against my belly button and it hurt pretty bad! I can honestly say the only time I really felt the pain of the surgery was when something rubbed my belly button incision or bumped it. I did have a hard time walking the day after the surgery, but I still managed to. By the second day after my surgery, I was back at work. I still had a little sensitivity when something pressed against my belly button, but I just wore a dress and felt perfect!

Please don't get me wrong... I really don't want you to think a tubal is a bad thing. Just please do your homework and know that not all of us are lucky enough to have the perfect ligation. It's going to cost me $10k to get myself back to normal, but it is SO worth it to me to be the woman I was before. Feel free to PM if you want more info on PTLS, I could go into specifics with my symptoms and exactly WHY I need this reversal.

GL!
September 17th, 2006, 10:11 AM
LadyBelle's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
hugs
i can't help but i hope some other moms can give you some answers
September 17th, 2006, 05:54 PM
I want to thank you ladies for your responces. Definitely gave me lots to research & think about, and I'm reconsidering my decision.

Again thanks, & I'll be sure to keep you updated on my decision.

Cheryl

September 17th, 2006, 06:48 PM
~* LiSa *~
GL Cheryl, I'll be thinking of you! Also, let me know if you'd like the link to PM the ladies on JM that I have talked to regarding tubals and reversals. They have experienced the same as I have, perhaps they can give you more insight as well.
September 21st, 2006, 03:30 AM
~Trina~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to ~Trina~ Send a message via Yahoo to ~Trina~
I'm interested Lisa. I just signed the preliminary consent as well. Truthfully, I don't like having it done.... but hubby and I don't do birth control very well....and we simply cannot afford for him to have a vasectomy because he has NO insurance and I have 100% coverage.

"A woman is like a tea bag. You never know how strong she is until she gets into hot water." -- Eleanor Roosevelt
September 21st, 2006, 10:06 AM
~* LiSa *~
There is actually another forum where you can discuss the effects of the tubal ligation with other women who have experienced PTLS. It is very informative and you will see how real it is. Many women on there are seeking reversals, not for a baby, but to be normal again. There's a topic called "Post Tubal Ligation Syndrome" just do a search for it. Good luck to you!

http://www.fittobeuntied.com
September 21st, 2006, 03:27 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I have an appointment in November to discuss getting my tubes tied. I have asked several people around me about it, and none of them have any regrets and are experiencing any discomfort. I do recognize that there are people with problems afterwards, but it doesn't have to be the case for you.

I know I am ready for it, because I am looking forward to not have to mess around with birth control etc. If I had any doubts I wouldn't go ahead with it, but I am very sure.

Good luck with everything. No one can tell you what is right or wrong, you just have to find out the information to make a good decision for you.
September 21st, 2006, 03:47 PM
~* LiSa *~
Quote:
I have an appointment in November to discuss getting my tubes tied. I have asked several people around me about it, and none of them have any regrets and are experiencing any discomfort. I do recognize that there are people with problems afterwards, but it doesn't have to be the case for you.

I know I am ready for it, because I am looking forward to not have to mess around with birth control etc. If I had any doubts I wouldn't go ahead with it, but I am very sure.

Good luck with everything. No one can tell you what is right or wrong, you just have to find out the information to make a good decision for you.[/b]
#5in2005 is right, there is no guarentee that everyone will experience problems. I'm just assuring you that many of us DO, so there is always that possibility. You will not know for certain if you are going to experience them, until you've already had the tubal ligation. I am speaking from a standpoint on the OTHER side of the ligation, this is where my information comes from.

Also, I spoke with the doctor that did my ligation this morning, and he acknowledges that women do have negative reactions to the ligation. He said for whatever reason it is brought on, it does happen. His remedy for it? Prescribing birth control pills to help neutralize the hormones. Just something to think about, especially if the reason you are having the tubal ligation is to avoid the worry of daily birth control.

Whatever you decide, is your decision. Nobody reacts the same to any form of birth control, I can say I was pleased with my tubal for the first year of it. Then it hit me and it's been downhill ever since. Another thing to consider is a large percentage of women have to end up getting a hysterectomy within 5 years of their tubal, due to growths of many sorts. Knowing what I have been through myself, and knowing the dangers that this tubal has caused me (my hormonal testing results showed almost NO estrogen in my body... if you know anything about the importance of estrogen for a woman, you would know how serious that is and it can cause sudden, fatal heart attacks.) I'm sorry, but I have a husband, 5 children and I know my life can be better than this. I go for my reversal in early 2007 and I can't wait!

Again, all of us are different. I can only speak on what I've experienced myself. Best of luck to all of you.
September 21st, 2006, 05:18 PM
amizsan's Avatar Veteran
I don't post on here much, but I do read every day, and this thread really caught my eye because I had a tubal ligation when my 4th was delivered by emergency c-section 2 1/2 years ago. My midwife and I had talked about me having a tubal when my youngest was about 4 months or so or my husband having a vasectomy. She had recommended my husband have the vasectomy since it was going to be months after my son was born. When I had to have the c-section she asked me if I wanted the tubal and I said yes, signed the papers and they did it all at the same time. I thought it was wonderful.
Then I weaned my son at almost 8 months and the problems began. The drs. kept telling me it was my hormones out of wack from having a baby and nursing and that I needed to wait for everything to get back to normal. They put me on different birth control pills which in some cases made things worse. I keep going to drs. telling them what is wrong with me and they can only treat all the different symptoms. After reading this post and the links, I think this may be my problem.
I am going to bring this up this coming Tuesday when I go see a new primary care physician, and see what she says. If this really is my problem, I am so ready for a reversal and so is my husband. It has been 2years now of me being not myself and my husband wants his wife back and my children want their mother back. Not the person I am now. I am glad to know I am not the only one like I have thought I am. I wish someone had given me this information before I had my tubal because I probably would not have had it and just had my husband go ahead and have the vasectomy.
Anna-Noel 2/22/02
Noah 2/3/04
September 21st, 2006, 05:42 PM
~* LiSa *~
Quote:
I don't post on here much, but I do read every day, and this thread really caught my eye because I had a tubal ligation when my 4th was delivered by emergency c-section 2 1/2 years ago. My midwife and I had talked about me having a tubal when my youngest was about 4 months or so or my husband having a vasectomy. She had recommended my husband have the vasectomy since it was going to be months after my son was born. When I had to have the c-section she asked me if I wanted the tubal and I said yes, signed the papers and they did it all at the same time. I thought it was wonderful.
Then I weaned my son at almost 8 months and the problems began. The drs. kept telling me it was my hormones out of wack from having a baby and nursing and that I needed to wait for everything to get back to normal. They put me on different birth control pills which in some cases made things worse. I keep going to drs. telling them what is wrong with me and they can only treat all the different symptoms. After reading this post and the links, I think this may be my problem.
I am going to bring this up this coming Tuesday when I go see a new primary care physician, and see what she says. If this really is my problem, I am so ready for a reversal and so is my husband. It has been 2years now of me being not myself and my husband wants his wife back and my children want their mother back. Not the person I am now. I am glad to know I am not the only one like I have thought I am. I wish someone had given me this information before I had my tubal because I probably would not have had it and just had my husband go ahead and have the vasectomy.[/b]

I am right there with you! I go through it everyday, as well as my husband and children. They (and I) deserve to be the woman/mother/wife I was before my tubal. Nobody will understand just what we mean, until they themselves are experiencing it. The good news is, of the women I've spoke with that had reversals after suffering from PTLS, report their symptoms simply vanished! They felt "back to normal" and like themselves again. That is all I want... just to be me again. A girlfriend of mine was talking about Post Partum Depression and how it was finally recognized as a disease. It wasn't just "brought on" out of the blue, it was brought on by the birth of a child. Post Tubal Ligation Syndrome is no different, in the respect that all of our symptoms and depression are brought on by the tubal procedure itself. If they can recognize depression after the birth of a baby, why can't they recognize depression after a tubal ligation? Both involve the reproductive organs, both are triggered by an event... it just amazes me that they refuse to recognize it as a problem. Instead they want to medicate us with Prozac or Wellbutrin or try to help us with birth control pills. Birth control pills are the reason we got the tubal in the first place... WE DON'T WANT to take them!

I will let you know how I feel after my reversal. We're shooting for March, but won't be making our appointment until February when we have a better idea of our commitments that month. Just know you're not alone and there are plenty of us out there that you can talk to. Join the group at the link I gave above... I'm sure it would help you!
September 22nd, 2006, 01:04 PM
Platinum Supermommy
This thread has given me alot of information on questions I should ask before hand, so thank you ladies for sharing your experiences. (it's always good to be informed). Too bad drs are so hushed about this, because it would be nice to have some true statistics about what percentage of woman are bothered by symptoms (from mild to extreme), and how many have no problems.

Lisa I am glad you are able to get your reversal in the near future.
September 22nd, 2006, 01:23 PM
~* LiSa *~
Quote:
This thread has given me alot of information on questions I should ask before hand, so thank you ladies for sharing your experiences. (it's always good to be informed). Too bad drs are so hushed about this, because it would be nice to have some true statistics about what percentage of woman are bothered by symptoms (from mild to extreme), and how many have no problems.

Lisa I am glad you are able to get your reversal in the near future.[/b]

Thanks hun! I am so ready to get this reversal, thankfully my husband is 100% behind me on this. I, too, question why there has yet to be a clinical study on the effects of the psychological/physical changes a woman goes through after a ligation. They seem to study the effects of everything else... so why not this? Well whatever you decide, I know it will be the right decision for you. I wish you all the best!
September 22nd, 2006, 02:25 PM
3Xblessed's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I conisdered having my tubes tied last summer when I had my youngest. My doctor pushed for my dh to have his v instead. The percentage of women that go on to have fibroid, painful periods etc. is too big. Whereas the number of men with problems is low. I don't know anything about the other syndrome but the idea of fibroids was enough for me. Especially since my ob was so agianst the tubal (and I had a c/s so it wouldn't have been a second procedure).
September 22nd, 2006, 03:22 PM
~* LiSa *~
Quote:
I conisdered having my tubes tied last summer when I had my youngest. My doctor pushed for my dh to have his v instead. The percentage of women that go on to have fibroid, painful periods etc. is too big. Whereas the number of men with problems is low. I don't know anything about the other syndrome but the idea of fibroids was enough for me. Especially since my ob was so agianst the tubal (and I had a c/s so it wouldn't have been a second procedure).[/b]

Good for you! There is way less risk of side effects from a vasectomy vs. tubal ligation. In my humble opinion, they need to outlaw tubals alltogether. Just too much happens to us and every one of us has a family to take care of. They need to be more honest, and I'm glad your doctor was honest enough to push for you to NOT have one. I wonder how many women OB/GYN doctors got their tubes tied? We should do a study on that alone. I bet the numbers are none or a very low percentage. That would say a lot right there!
September 23rd, 2006, 02:17 PM
tootienkyle's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to tootienkyle Send a message via Yahoo to tootienkyle
Hi there! My name is Denise..I am 34 years old with 4 children..I have been pregnant 7 times (3 miscarriages). I met my ex-husband when I was 14 and we married at 18, had first child at 19...After 18 years of being with him, we divorced, but not before I got my tubes tied unfortunately.

I had a tubal ligation right after the birth of my 4th child. They took me right into the OR after I delivered her. I haven't had any c-sections. The cut is about an inch at the bottom of my belly button. It was HE double L when they came in to push on my belly after the baby was born because of it...so that is one plus of not having it right after birth! You can't even see the incision unless I point it out. As for any symptoms after the tubal ligation...I had some of them and actually thought I had the PTLS after reading them, but I was never diagnosed with it or anything.

I regret having it done for other reasons...I divorced, and remarried. My husband doesn't have any biological children. We wanted to try to have a baby together, so I had a tubal reversal in March of 2006. We are on our 7th cylce of TTC. I urge (and suggest) everyone think long and hard about the ligation. I thought 4 children was more than enough for me and thought I would be with their father forever and here I sit, divorced with a new husband and trying desperately for a baby. You never know what is going to happen in life. Just please please please think long and hard and weigh all the options not only together as a couple but separate also. Think of things that could happen in your life. I know you say they wont...the same as I did. I don't want for anyone to be sitting where I am sitting. We spent $9000 out of pocket to have the reversal and we are still trying to conceive.

I wish you and everyone else who is considering the tubal ligation the best of luck. I am in no way telling anyone they should or shouldn't have it done. I just wanted to share my experience with it.
September 23rd, 2006, 04:44 PM
Wow... this thread has sure gotten busy.. sorry I haven't been by in awhile.

First of all... thanks for all your responces. I am still up in the air as to what I am going to do. I have an appointment with my dr. on Sept. 29th, and I'm going to bring up my concerns with her. I do believe that PTLS is real, but am not sure really what the risk of it is. I've heard lots of stories of women who have had tubals and are very happy with it, then other's who aren't happy. So I still just don't know what to do. I wonder if there are any natural remedies out there instead of going on birth control pills to regulate your hormones after a tubal. My sister has talked with me about maybe going on a natural progesterone cream. I think a lot of women in this day & age are already out of balance with there hormones (our diet being the main culpret) so it wouldn't hurt to try and balance things out with a more natural route. Just one thing I've been thinking about.

Anyways... thank you all for all your input. I'll be sure to let you all know what my final decision is.

Cheryl

September 23rd, 2006, 05:01 PM
~* LiSa *~
Good luck hun!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search