Are you considered the crazy one...........

Forum: Large Families

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Large Families LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 11th, 2006, 07:18 AM
LadyBelle's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Are you considered the crazy one in your family?

I am ~I guess its because I am outside of "their" norm...

with my extended bfing,baby wearing,homeschooling,cloth diapering,attachment parenting ect
October 11th, 2006, 07:28 AM
Kristina's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Kristina
I guess kind of we are the of the kids and grand kids in both our family so we are paving the way i hope that the younger siblings on both sides learn from us. I know my sil is definatley going to breastfeed when she has children and she is a lot more open to cosleeping because of having exposure to our parenting ways. So I hope that continues to happen with all of the siblings.

Kristina SAHM of Janessa 16, Xandria 14, Thayer 13, Alorah 10, Nathalia 9, Malayna 7, Sawyer 5, Ryder 3, Kristiana 1 and edd Jan 24

Make a pregnancy ticker

October 11th, 2006, 09:07 AM
coryletum's Avatar Veteran
Gosh yes! In fact, sadly, my parents have just cut off all communications with me completely - they have never understood or supported me having a large family, and Raphael (6 weeks) was the last straw for them. I keep alternating between feeling angry at the rejection of my little boy (not to mention the others), and upset that, after all is said and done, they are my parents...

Still, totally digressing there - many apologies! My children seem to view me affectionately as mildly dotty and eccentric; when I decided to use cloth diapers for Raphael, they were pretty surprised ( think that may be down to them having to listen to me constantly complain about the size of the washing pile though ) Even dh has perfected a small resigned sigh when another Ebay goody (usually a wrap or diaper) turns up....

Also used to get the 'You're not STILL feeding him/her?' comments after 4 months or so of breastfeeding each baby too, from my parents. Sigh.

I am also a collector of 'things' too - be it Christmas trees, Bessie Pease Guttman plates or vintage nightgowns...he's very tolerant (although he does think I watch the TV just a tad too avidly when CSI Miami is on, though.... )

I do agree though, that hopefully some of the things that I practice may filter down to my children's children, if and when that happens - even if it is only the placement of 'baby' before 'housework' in the priority list! (I'm extra good at that one... )

(I have a very close and personal relationship with my washing machine.)
</span>

Proud member of ERFEFODTPTDGUSO!

October 11th, 2006, 09:21 AM
Mommyx12's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I think my family thinks that too. I think some people around us probably think so as well. I have a big family, I homeschooled until last year, and I breastfeed and co-sleep for a time. Before we lived here we were in the military and b'fing seemed to be totally accepted, but where we are now, it seems hardly anyone decides to do so. My youngest is 14 mos and he's still b'fing, just doesn't want to stop. He's the longest one so far and dh is starting to wonder if I'll ever wean him. And I get the you hold your baby too much and spoiling them blah, blah, blah! I must say it's so nice to be able to come here and find others who share some of the same ideas and feelings and are supportive.
October 11th, 2006, 02:17 PM
Quote:
I guess kind of we are the of the kids and grand kids in both our family so we are paving the way i hope that the younger siblings on both sides learn from us. I know my sil is definatley going to breastfeed when she has children and she is a lot more open to cosleeping because of having exposure to our parenting ways. So I hope that continues to happen with all of the siblings.[/b]
thats great

Quote:
Gosh yes! In fact, sadly, my parents have just cut off all communications with me completely - they have never understood or supported me having a large family, and Raphael (6 weeks) was the last straw for them. I keep alternating between feeling angry at the rejection of my little boy (not to mention the others), and upset that, after all is said and done, they are my parents...

Still, totally digressing there - many apologies! My children seem to view me affectionately as mildly dotty and eccentric; when I decided to use cloth diapers for Raphael, they were pretty surprised ( think that may be down to them having to listen to me constantly complain about the size of the washing pile though ) Even dh has perfected a small resigned sigh when another Ebay goody (usually a wrap or diaper) turns up....

Also used to get the 'You're not STILL feeding him/her?' comments after 4 months or so of breastfeeding each baby too, from my parents. Sigh.

I am also a collector of 'things' too - be it Christmas trees, Bessie Pease Guttman plates or vintage nightgowns...he's very tolerant (although he does think I watch the TV just a tad too avidly when CSI Miami is on, though.... )

I do agree though, that hopefully some of the things that I practice may filter down to my children's children, if and when that happens - even if it is only the placement of 'baby' before 'housework' in the priority list! (I'm extra good at that one... )[/b]
Hi Welcome to the board
Oh hun I am so sorry hopefully they will come around.

I get alot of oh about cloth but my daughter teen freinds LOVE them So maybe I am converting our next generation

Quote:
I think my family thinks that too. I think some people around us probably think so as well. I have a big family, I homeschooled until last year, and I breastfeed and co-sleep for a time. Before we lived here we were in the military and b'fing seemed to be totally accepted, but where we are now, it seems hardly anyone decides to do so. My youngest is 14 mos and he's still b'fing, just doesn't want to stop. He's the longest one so far and dh is starting to wonder if I'll ever wean him. And I get the you hold your baby too much and spoiling them blah, blah, blah! I must say it's so nice to be able to come here and find others who share some of the same ideas and feelings and are supportive.[/b]
I totally understand!! I am still bfing my 15 month old & co-sleeping.I don't cio so I hear flack about that too.

I really love coming here where you girls understand about large families & support personal parenting styles
October 11th, 2006, 02:27 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I don't really think so. But I am not into some of the things you ladies are, I don't do extended breastfeeding, don't cloth diaper, don't homeschool and my family is not as large as some of you have.

Each to their own I say, some of the above mentioned are not for me at all, but if it works for you, then good on you.
October 11th, 2006, 09:56 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Compared to my mom's family, I'm the sane one! She's the oldest of 7. And her siblings are nuts..mostly in a good way!

October 12th, 2006, 07:09 AM
Quote:
Each to their own I say, some of the above mentioned are not for me at all, but if it works for you, then good on you.[/b]
formula or breast milk , cloth or sposies, public or home

all serve the same purpose and one isn't better than the other....we all choice what works best for our families.

Quote:
Compared to my mom's family, I'm the sane one! She's the oldest of 7. And her siblings are nuts..mostly in a good way![/b]
lol i totally understand my family is a bunch of bananas in a good way
October 13th, 2006, 06:30 PM
Stacey's Avatar Super Star...mom to 6 ♥
Quote:
Gosh yes! In fact, sadly, my parents have just cut off all communications with me completely - they have never understood or supported me having a large family, and Raphael (6 weeks) was the last straw for them. I keep alternating between feeling angry at the rejection of my little boy (not to mention the others), and upset that, after all is said and done, they are my parents...[/b]
Oh my...thats sooo sad Im so sorry that your parents are like that.

October 13th, 2006, 06:40 PM
Stacey's Avatar Super Star...mom to 6 ♥
Yes Im considered the crazy one of the family but not because I have so many kids because I really dont! I just have 4 and my sister has 4 and my mom had 4 so 4 is just common. Im just more out there to try different things.

Quote:
I don't really think so. But I am not into some of the things you ladies are, I don't do extended breastfeeding, don't cloth diaper, don't homeschool and my family is not as large as some of you have.

Each to their own I say, some of the above mentioned are not for me at all, but if it works for you, then good on you.[/b]
I dont do any of the above either except I did nurse my two girls and no one in my family has ever nursed so that was strange to them and I wasnt allowed to nurse in front of them. I nursed Amber-Rae for a year and Alyssa for 13 months!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search