Organizing the large family

Forum: Large Families

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Large Families LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 27th, 2004, 02:00 PM
zonapellucida
Does one just have to accept that kids are slobs????? I am so tired of saying the same thing over and over and over and over.................................. ie stop eating in the living room. I just want o make a recording and play it several times a day to save myself the effort. Today Isadora decided she was going to bring her cereal in fornt of the tv. Well that bowl of milk was just what Ella wanted to pour all over the table and the carpet. We also have a severe ant problem (tI think this house was built on a mound) so eating in the living room brings them in but they DON'T GET IT. And the other one is stop jumping on my bed. I am at a loss as to what punishment I can give them. I would like it if the natural consequences would work. Maybe rather than screaming "get your feet off my bed" I should just go in and shove them hard so they go flying. Do you think that would work?? What are you doing to keep caos from reigning and not having to do EVERYTHING. (It has to be the hormones)
September 28th, 2004, 02:46 PM
mamaB's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Yikes, H, my heart goes out to you. You sound like you're ready to
go bonkers (if that moment hasn't come already, o' course )
I don't know if it helps, but what my mom/dad did with us was mainly:
1. harsh punishment: aka- completely unequal in measure
to the "rule" broken. Toys left out? Toys get thrown in the garbage, kind
of thing.
2. social cut-off: play-date with friends? no more!
3. mild physical "suggestion": not waking up on time? water on the face,
sheets ripped off, window shades all the way up

Don't know that any of this is applicable to younger kids, but that's what
I remember.

Hang in there....
September 28th, 2004, 10:23 PM
zonapellucida
Well tonight I officailly "lost it" I bagged their toys and threw them in the garage with the trash. I was much more dramatic but I thing they either think I am crazy or I really mean business. Fingers crossed.
September 29th, 2004, 09:04 AM
mamaB's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Good luck! Let us know a week from now if the "crazed mom routine" had
a positive effect
October 8th, 2004, 09:28 AM
mineforever's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
do you have a camera in my house?? lol I deal with those same issues.. but recently.. I've implemented a few rules.. the biggest one being NO FOOD ANYWHERE in the house but the kitchen.. and if they break that rule or any of the other rules they get a toy taken away.. and for my older kids that can understand better they also get a chore added to their chart for that day.. and to then that is just aweful! !!

and for their toys well they have WAY TOO MANY!! so we went through them and threw away any toys that were remotly broken in anyway and gave away about 1/2 of what was left to the Cerebal Palsy Van that comes around every once in a while for donations. They were sad but honestly they hardly played with any of them anyway..

clothes are my worst.. I havn't done this yet but I'm going to go through their clothes and downsize.. take out clothes out of season, too small and even ones that fit but just they don't wear.. less clothes means less laundry.. and until they are old enough to do their own laundry they can make do with 10 tops, 5-6 bottoms, and such.. it's just less stress for me..

I want a lot of kids so the easier I can make it on my self the better. ((hugs))
~Charity - SAHM to 6 Monkeys and expecting #7!!

November 16th, 2004, 12:10 PM
Not only do I share this struggle, but do you also get this assumption? "Oh with all those kids, you must have a lot of help around the house." Whatever. I have a lot of help making messes. When I tell people I'm pregnant, they are naturally at a loss for why someone would have 6 children on purpose so they just say the first dumb thing that comes to mind which is usually something about having built in babysitters.
Nikkie 10
Elizabeth 7
Gracie 4
Thomas 2
November 16th, 2004, 12:17 PM
fka teresarunningmommy
Quote:
Originally posted by momto6@Nov 16 2004, 02:10 PM
Not only do I share this struggle, but do you also get this assumption?* "Oh with all those kids, you must have a lot of help around the house." Whatever.* I have a lot of help making messes.* When I tell people I'm pregnant, they are naturally at a loss for why someone would have 6 children on purpose so they just say the first dumb thing that comes to mind which is usually something about having built in babysitters.
<div align="right"><{POST_SNAPBACK}>
[/quote]

OMG! ROFLOL You could be my twin, oops forgot I had one. Um, just found this particularly funny today. Glad I'm not alone. And would you believe we are considering having more. I don't dare tell anyone.

Teresa

Check out my running blog - Wannabe Running Mama
November 17th, 2004, 04:49 AM
zonapellucida
Quote:
Originally posted by momto6@Nov 16 2004, 03:10 PM
Not only do I share this struggle, but do you also get this assumption?* "Oh with all those kids, you must have a lot of help around the house." Whatever.* I have a lot of help making messes.* When I tell people I'm pregnant, they are naturally at a loss for why someone would have 6 children on purpose so they just say the first dumb thing that comes to mind which is usually something about having built in babysitters.
<div align="right"><{POST_SNAPBACK}>
[/quote]

OMG YES!!!!! and they are NO help!!!!!!! As for built in babysitters. HAHHAHHAHHAHHHH ROFLMAO

Quote:
And would you believe we are considering having more. I don't dare tell anyone.[/b]
I am telling!!!!!!! LOL

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search