How Do You Deal?

Forum: Large Families

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Large Families LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 7th, 2006, 07:24 AM
MamaAshley's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I have a few questions for anyone offering to answer!

How do you deal with...

1- People who make rude or stupid comments about your large family size, or when they see you with a bunch of kids and pregnant?

2- Girls clothing!? My son doesn't have this issue, bu tI have girl's clothes coming out my ears! Any secrets on hwo to keep it organized?

3- Christmas!? For those who celebrate, how in the world do you afford Christmas? Do you shop all thru the year, do you set a price for each child and stay under it? Advice?

4- Laundry? Sock mostly, how do you keep track and keep up with it?

5- Cleaning? Do you do it yourself, or is it a team effort? My kids are so young still, but my oldest is starting to want to help, so I think that will be great!

thanks for any answers I get!

Ashley, pre-RN student, birth doula and busy SAHM to Brianne 6, Colin 5, Kylie 4,
Bryson 2,and our lil man Noah Alexander turns one year on 7/5/10!

November 7th, 2006, 08:44 AM
LadyBelle's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
1- People who make rude or stupid comments about your large family size, or when they see you with a bunch of kids and pregnant? If its strangers I ignore them why do I care what a total stranger thinks
2- Girls clothing!? My son doesn't have this issue, bu tI have girl's clothes coming out my ears! Any secrets on hwo to keep it organized?i had totes with all the sizes when they were smaller that i stored in a linen closet.Now that they are older we dont hand down as many things because they wear them longer.A custom closet really helps & is worth the $$$ you can do it yourself with kits3- Christmas!? For those who celebrate, how in the world do you afford Christmas? Do you shop all thru the year, do you set a price for each child and stay under it? Advice? a christmas account at the bank & add to it every payday.It seems to burden some families to buy for large families so offer to draw names.

4- Laundry? Sock mostly, how do you keep track and keep up with it?give up you cant keep up with socks buy more....the other laundry i wash a load of colors , a load of towels nightly , and a load of cloth diapers every morning.then a load of whites every 2 days.It gets easier when they are old enough to help fold and put away their stuff.
5- Cleaning? Do you do it yourself, or is it a team effort? My kids are so young still, but my oldest is starting to want to help, so I think that will be great!team effort!Even my 16 month old must pick up his toys....we make it a game i hand it to him and tell him to put it in the basket or on the shelf.It takes longer but he is learning to help.Dusting and folding towels are 2 of the 1st chores my guys did and they got a treat like ice cream or pizza at the end of the week.We have a chore sheet so no one forgets who does what on which day.I do all the heavy cleaning & washing/drying clothes.
November 7th, 2006, 01:07 PM
Platinum Supermommy
1- People who make rude or stupid comments about your large family size, or when they see you with a bunch of kids and pregnant?[color=#33CC00] Ignore them.

2- Girls clothing!? My son doesn't have this issue, bu tI have girl's clothes coming out my ears! Any secrets on hwo to keep it organized? I use the totes too, and don't have anything in their closet that is out of season or they don't fit, I go through their stuff regularly.

3- Christmas!? For those who celebrate, how in the world do you afford Christmas? Do you shop all thru the year, do you set a price for each child and stay under it? Advice? We buy 3 gifts per child, and we're not extravagant. We get them one thing just for them (a bratz doll this year), one thing we can all enjoy (a game) and then some books or hairthings or something for their rooms).

4- Laundry? Sock mostly, how do you keep track and keep up with it? forget about the socks. I recently got a new washer and dryer, and they fit a lot of clothes, and that's really been very helpfull.

5- Cleaning? Do you do it yourself, or is it a team effort? My kids are so young still, but my oldest is starting to want to help, so I think that will be great!
I do the heavy duty cleaning, but the children do their share in tidying up.
November 7th, 2006, 02:14 PM
Veteran
Send a message via Yahoo to Fern
1- People who make rude or stupid comments about your large family size, or when they see you with a bunch of kids and pregnant? I try to act like I assume their comment is meant in a friendly way, or that they'd be making the same comment if they met someone with just 2 kids. I haven't had any really rude comments from strangers -- those mostly come from friends and family who think they are being funny.
2- Girls clothing!? I have plastic bins in the basement labeled with each size. We are lucky enough to get hand-me-downs from the kids' older cousins but they are MUCH older so we are housing some things for many many years. I am trying to be picky and only keep one bin per size/gender.
3- Christmas!? For those who celebrate, how in the world do you afford Christmas? Do you shop all thru the year, do you set a price for each child and stay under it? Advice? We have really tried to cut back from what our expectations were when we just had our daughter. We quickly found that our relatives will get the kids so many toys that anything we get them is lost in the shuffle and unappreciated. Of course, our kids are still very young. This year I have bought a few games and things at Goodwill throughout the year and they will be for Christmas. The baby will get some toys the older kids have outgrown. We are thinking that we'll generally plan on a gift from us for each child, a gift for each child from his or her siblings (combined), and a large "family" gift from Santa. The Santa gift would be something all the children would enjoy -- a playhouse or a train table or craft supplies... something like that. It will change as they get older but while they are so small and their interests are so similar we are going to keep clutter at a minimum by minimizing Christmas gifts.
4- Laundry? Sock mostly, how do you keep track and keep up with it?Laundry is overwhelming around here. My husband is very helpful (really "helpful" isn't the right word because he does as much laundry as I do) so we do keep laundry going constantly. A few small tips that have helped us: 1) Don't buy babies outfits that have more than one piece. 2) Try to get jeans and shirts for boys, rather than outfits that have a coordinating top and bottom. 3) Buy comfy dresses for girls and get the a drawer full of neutral tights or tights that they will have fun matching up themselves. These things eliminate the effort of matching things back up again. Also, in our boys' closet we have a place where we pile their jeans -- not folded, just laid flat on top of each other -- and another pile of cotton shirts -- again, not folded. This has been a huge help. It saves us so much time when we're not folding or getting things on hangers. Then in the morning we know we can grab two shirts and two pairs of jeans and theyr'e ready to go.
5- Cleaning? Do you do it yourself, or is it a team effort?It's a team effort, but my husband is the team captain and the kids are too young to help much so far. They sort of pick up their toys and are interested in dusting but that's about it. They are eager to do more but all three of them want to do the same chore at the same time and it leads to fighting.

Visit my blog: Candle At Both Ends -- Surviving the best years of my life
November 7th, 2006, 05:58 PM
coryletum's Avatar Veteran
1- People who make rude or stupid comments about your large family size, or when they see you with a bunch of kids and pregnant?

Ignore, or respond in a friendly manner just to show them that my family and I, unlike them, are civil and polite..

2- Girls clothing!? My son doesn't have this issue, bu tI have girl's clothes coming out my ears! Any secrets on hwo to keep it organized?

Hmm...well, if anyone has a perfect solution for this please let me know! We currently have clothes in a mixture of drawers and boxes, but the system rapidly breaks down every time i manage to empty the laundry basket and the whole volume of clean clothes needs putting away!

3- Christmas!? For those who celebrate, how in the world do you afford Christmas? Do you shop all thru the year, do you set a price for each child and stay under it? Advice?

We set a price and try to stick to it - and also buy bits and bobs throughout the year (Ebay being especially good for that sometimes!) Luckily the older ones are of an age to realise that money is a finite thing, and the teenies are happy with anything

4- Laundry? Sock mostly, how do you keep track and keep up with it?

I use paper ones. (Oh, that would be so good - why has no-one invented paper socks yet????) Seriously, we tried for many years to keep socks straight, and individually sort them, but then realised that life is just too short for some things (I feel the same about stuffing cherry tomatoes - why??) What we know do is have a big basket of girl's socks, and a big basket of boy's socks, and they rifle through it each morning and find a pair. If i am feeling particularly generous, I will pair up as many as I can, but hey - no-one has yet died from mismatched socks!! I do keep the toddler and baby socks in separate little baskets though - seems a bit optimistic to expect a ten-week old to find his own socks.... )

Team effort, definitely!!! The smaller ones actually enjoy things like putting away their toys (possibly because of the lavish praise and promises of Maserati sports cars when they are older), and the older ones because although they don't really believe any more in the sports car...there is just that teeny possibility?? Sorting laundry is a big group effort on the living room floor - although errors still occur! (Last week my 12 year old son went to school in his father's (rather large!) work shirt, and a few months ago my dh went to work in his 12 year old's underpants (he came home with a very pained expression and started asking about local diet classes...)

luv Rodena xxx

(I have a very close and personal relationship with my washing machine.)
</span>

Proud member of ERFEFODTPTDGUSO!

November 10th, 2006, 12:15 AM
1- People who make rude or stupid comments about your large family size, or when they see you with a bunch of kids and pregnant? I ignore them

2- Girls clothing!? My son doesn't have this issue, bu tI have girl's clothes coming out my ears! Any secrets on hwo to keep it organized? I don't have girls

3- Christmas!? For those who celebrate, how in the world do you afford Christmas? Do you shop all thru the year, do you set a price for each child and stay under it? Advice? I shop through the yr & also in Australia Target has their christmas sale in the middle of the yr (20%off & no deposit layby) so I layby everything then & have until christmas eve to pay it off

4- Laundry? Sock mostly, how do you keep track and keep up with it? I have never had a problem with lost socks & the kids have different colours

5- Cleaning? Do you do it yourself, or is it a team effort? My kids are so young still, but my oldest is starting to want to help, so I think that will be great! I do it my self most of the time, the kids have to empty the dishwasher, keep their rooms clean & deal with the cat stuff (feed, change litter), the kids have been helping since they could walk at 12mths, they would pick up their toys

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search