Does anyone have help with the kids?

Forum: Large Families

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Large Families LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 18th, 2004, 02:19 PM
I was wondering if anyone here had help, like a mother's helper, or are you kinda like me and my DH? We are almost totally on our own. Our relatives are either deceased or live too far away. We have no babysitters, that is I really prefer not to hire a stranger after what has happened in this world lately. I've seen some pretty horrific things on TV documentaries.

Funny thing is....we had friends....but it seemed the more kids we had....the more they disappeared. I guess they were afraid we were going to ask them to babysit or something.....
DD Kristyn, 2/22/03
Angel Baby Kendall, went to heaven at 19 wks gestation,
12/01/03
November 18th, 2004, 02:36 PM
zonapellucida
LOL--We--No I don't get any help. Would love someone to come in once a week and wash my floors though.
November 18th, 2004, 02:49 PM
oreokitten
Quote:
Originally posted by zonapellucida@Nov 18 2004, 06:36 PM
LOL--We--No I don't get any help.* Would love someone to come in once a week and wash my floors though.
<div align="right"><{POST_SNAPBACK}>
[/quote]
I'll wash your floors if you fold my laundry! lol
November 18th, 2004, 04:45 PM
YankeeMom
Up until last yr we were 1300 miles from all family. No sitter, no friends. Nothing. Only occassionally could we find one of dh's soldiers to watch the kids while we went off to a military function.

Now we are close to home, my mom watches them about once a month so dh & I can go out on a date or so I can go to class if dh has to work that night.

But no helpers, or anything like that. Unless you count Matthew's 6hrs a week at preschool (the older 3 are in school full time).
November 19th, 2004, 04:06 AM
Cindermella
I don't have help
and actually I don't really need it

My kids help me help each other

now if only they could keep their rooms clean
November 19th, 2004, 08:12 AM
When I had two kids, I lived really close to my best friend, and she babysat for me all the time while I worked and stuff. Then, we moved away. We were near dh's family, but I wouldn't let those people watch my dog, so no help there. Our pastor's wife would help me if I was desparate, but she wasn't very reliable. You can take from that what you want. That was particularly hard when I had the third. Then, I couldn't take the looney people anymore and we moved to Indiana near my mom. She babysat every now and again, but that eventually hit the crapper because, well... she was taking too much medication. Yeah, that's a polite way to say that. We did have a friend that I babysat for while she worked, and she helped out when #4 and #5 were born and she would babysit every great once in a while when I would ask. When Thomas was born we moved to Texas, my home, and there are several aunts to choose from here when they aren't busy. I still don't ask that often.
Nikkie 10
Elizabeth 7
Gracie 4
Thomas 2
November 19th, 2004, 09:55 AM
Wow, I guess we're not as much in a minority group as I thought we were. I suppose in this busy world where most everybody is either working or tending to their own families, outside help is not as common as it used to be.

I have to say this is an exhausting life, though. Thank God my husband is a team player with me and goes above and beyond his share of help with the kids. I absolutely could not do it without him.
DD Kristyn, 2/22/03
Angel Baby Kendall, went to heaven at 19 wks gestation,
12/01/03
November 19th, 2004, 12:23 PM
mineforever's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I have no help. well daily help I mean. OUr families are so far very supportive. my family live over 5 hrs away so babysitting and such is out of the question for them unless they are up but DH's family offers to babysit the kids for a night out for us about 2/month. which is really nice. but as for housework.. I'm on my own lol...
~Charity - SAHM to 6 Monkeys and expecting #7!!

November 22nd, 2004, 08:29 AM
CyprusMom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
No we don't get much help here. We pretty much depend on each other. When we really get into a bind and can't bring the kids with us, we can ask some of dh's nieces if they can babysit. It's not very often but it helps.

Janice

November 22nd, 2004, 12:15 PM
Cindermella
to tell you the truth... the more children I had the more it basically alienated the family. Meaning the less help I got.
November 23rd, 2004, 06:56 AM
kjomomma's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to kjomomma
We have a sitter who is about 15 years old who comes over about once every 6 months and watches the kids after they are in bed so dh and I can go out. we can never afford to pay her though so that's rare. My family does not babysit and dh's family is out of town (his mom) she would sit if she was close and his dad...lol...not a chance.
Bryce(8)
Kyndal (6)
Alayna(3)
And Rayanna (2)
November 30th, 2004, 10:29 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I am so lucky in this department, I have a lot of family living nearby, plus best of all I have a 15 year old sister and she has been great through my baby-having years. It was great to have her around, she was too young to babysit alone before, but she used to just come over and watch the kids so that I could keep at the housework, or run to town or whatever. I'm definetly the envy of my friends in this department.
December 10th, 2004, 07:03 AM
Carol
I'm pretty much alone on taking care of the kiddos. Dh helps a LOT when he's home, but he's been gone for the last 15 months (until last Saturday...woohoo). My family is willing to babysit whenever I need them (like when I was getting this house ready to move into or picking dh up at the airport), but that is it. My outlaws will make every excuse in the world not to, so I don't even bother with them anymore. I don't mind though. I brought them into the world, so they are my and dh's responsibility.
December 12th, 2004, 05:16 PM
AuntieFromBama
We have one girl who if we have something we have to do she comes and stay for a few hours while we get whatever it is done.

Most the time I'd rather not have help. I've learned how to clean and do what's gotta get done. It's not that hard.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search