No longer a SAHM

Forum: Large Families

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Large Families LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 19th, 2004, 10:17 AM
Well, things have worked out so that I can't stay at home any longer. DH has not been able to find work, so I had to send out resumes and I just got hired today. With our unemployment benefits running out in one more week, we had no option. I actually have more marketable skills than my DH does, so it just made sense.

However, the one big issue is that I am pregnant and I didn't tell the company that hired me in case they might discriminate for that reason. Neither one of us was working and we needed income so I did what I had to do. My being pregnant should not pose a problem since I will be going back to work after the maternity leave, and Dh has a possible second shift job opportunity coming up in a couple weeks. All we would need to do is find a responsible person to sit with the kids a few hours in the afternoon and then we could both work. That would really be a nice change since we have been having financial problems and not enough income for the past 5 years.

We started out with the plan that we could try to make it on a single income, and I could be at home with the kids, but it looks like that plan is going to change.

Well, we tried....
DD Kristyn, 2/22/03
Angel Baby Kendall, went to heaven at 19 wks gestation,
12/01/03
November 19th, 2004, 10:36 AM
mamaB's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hm. You might want to tell your employer that you are pg. I can understand your reluctance during the interview process, even despite EOE laws, but its really the right thing to do - not to mention covering your @ss in case the issue is ever raised at a later date.

Good luck and hang in there. Working and being a mom is very hard but it can be done! It is admirable that you stepped up to the challenge and I'm sure your family will benefit bc of it. All the best
November 19th, 2004, 12:32 PM
mineforever's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
(((hugs))) that must have been so tough! I hope you situation improves so that one day soon you can return to being a sahm.

if it were me in your position. I'd wait unil the traditional 3m period to tell them your preg. I don't think they can fault you for that...

((hugs))
~Charity - SAHM to 6 Monkeys and expecting #7!!

November 19th, 2004, 03:03 PM
I definitely do intend to tell them. Even though I am big and have a belly that makes me look 6 months pg already, I will start to show eventually.

I like the idea of waiting until the 3 month trial period is over, but I guess I have to see how it goes. I start on Monday, and as I go along every day there and see how the "atmosphere" is there, I will be able to better determine when to let them know. I'll maybe say something after either one of my next two ob appointments so it looks like I just found out also. I really don't want to wait too long, either.

Tough choice here, but when faced with this or no money coming in at all....I guess the decision is obvious.
DD Kristyn, 2/22/03
Angel Baby Kendall, went to heaven at 19 wks gestation,
12/01/03
November 20th, 2004, 04:22 AM
Cindermella
I wouldn't keep that a secret But your right, having cash for 3 months is great. Besides I am sure you can win them to liking you long before then

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search