Do people notice?

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Trying to Conceive & Pregnancy LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 27th, 2009, 09:35 PM
MamaPickles's Avatar Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to MamaPickles Send a message via Yahoo to MamaPickles
Does it seem like people notice that you're pregnant or do you have to tell them? I'm 33+ weeks pregnant and I try to wear fitted clothing and think I'm carrying fairly high. Even though I'm a plus-sized mommy, I think I finally look very pregnant. Still it seems like no one notices that I'm pregnant! It really bothers me because I don't get those comments like "aw you look so cute". Even my grandma today (in front of my entire shower party, might I add) said "Are you really pregnant?"

To which I responded, "No grandma, I'm just really really fat".

*sigh*

I think people think that's supposed to be a compliment, but I just can't seem to take it that way. Anyone else?

C + T since 10.16.2004

June 28th, 2009, 04:37 AM
Veteran
Same here. I'm at 33 weeks and feel like I have finally started looking pregnant to outsiders in maybe the last week. I've been careful with my weight gain during the pregnancy so for awhile I had feelings of pride when someone said I didn't look pregnant. Now I'm less than 7 weeks away and starting to feel like baby could be here any day. I want some recognition of that! I find myself thinking about parking in the expectant mother's spot just so that people notice. I'm tempted to start doing the pregnant waddle or sitting with my hand on my belly all the time, neither of which I'm doing naturally. For my shower I picked an outfit that I thought really emphasized that I was preggo. On the first day of our child birth class, we went around the room saying what we felt were the best and the worst things about being pregnant. At least half the women in the room said the best thing was all the attention they were getting from everyone, including strangers. I admit I was a little jealous. On the bright side, at least I don't have strangers coming up and trying to touch my belly.

I don't have any advice on how to change it, but I understand how you're feeling.

Wait, I guess I have one suggestion. Have you taken any pregnancy photos? I took some informal ones (clothed) and that made me feel "normal". I could see, yes, that's a pregnant woman. I sent them to some out of town family and got the "aw, how cute" response from them.

June 28th, 2009, 08:55 AM
MamaPickles's Avatar Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to MamaPickles Send a message via Yahoo to MamaPickles
See, I have other friends who are having maternity photos done and have thought to myself "I'm not having them done because I must not look pregnant and I'll just look silly in them."

Maybe I'll try just doing some at home. I too have been very careful about weight gain...only 10lbs so far, and because of that I actually was thinking I looked more pregnant this time around than I did with dd...if that makes sense somehow.

C + T since 10.16.2004

June 28th, 2009, 09:12 AM
Vicki...'s Avatar Mommy to Caleb & Ethan
I am there with you ladies, I and my family can see that I definitely have a bump, but no one says anything or seems to notice, which is greatly depressing to me, I just want to look pregnant and have that cute lil preggo belly that is undeniably a bump. I really don't have any advice but wanted to say i understand and also hate it ((((hugs))))

June 28th, 2009, 09:44 AM
Veteran
Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaPickles View Post
See, I have other friends who are having maternity photos done and have thought to myself "I'm not having them done because I must not look pregnant and I'll just look silly in them." Maybe I'll try just doing some at home.
I did mine at home. You've got nothing to lose. I bet you can get some really sweet ones with Eden.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaPickles View Post
I too have been very careful about weight gain...only 10lbs so far, and because of that I actually was thinking I looked more pregnant this time around than I did with dd...if that makes sense somehow.
It makes sense to me. My face looks thinner now than pre-pregnancy because the fat is being burned off or moved around for baby. If all my belly were fat rather than baby, my face would be much pudgier.

June 29th, 2009, 06:07 AM
amholb0's Avatar Mrs.Fitz
Well, I'm not far enough to look pregnant yet but, I suspect I won't have the cute bump at any stage and I do find that kind of sad.
June 30th, 2009, 08:34 AM
carolinagirl05's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I happened to wander over here onto this forum, and I wanted to add my opinion on this!!! I too am overweight, and actually lost weight (over 20lbs) at the beginning of the pregnancy. I was always so worried that people would just think I am fat. I have noticed that some people can tell I am pregnant and some just don't comment. For example, the other day at Walmart, the lady asked me if I was having twins- I am 32.5 weeks-- I almost slapped her. But then I thought "well, at least she could tell I'm pregnant and not just fat!"

Thanks KimberlyD0 and Claire1979 for my LOVELY siggies!
June 30th, 2009, 12:53 PM
ChicaChels's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
i am huge but rarely get comments on my belly, but i have to say i rarely comment on people being pregnant - even those itty bitty girls who have huge huge bumps because once i asked a lady when she was due (I was in high school at this time) and she turned bright red and her eyes filled up with tears and she said "Im NOT PREGNANT" ...i felt like an ***, and I have never asked someone when they are due since then..it was really traumatic!
so i always assume people just dont want to offend me! you mommas are all beautiful preggos though and don't let anyone make you think otherwise!!

Maverick Jude
December 9, 2013
5:20PM 8lb3oz 20.5"
Hospital water birth
July 1st, 2009, 01:38 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Granted I am only roughly 18weeks but I am already wearing maternity pants.... I can tell I have a bump and so can DH but my family and friends look at me and just pretty much ignore the fact that I have gotten a bump....

I had a co-worker as me how far along I was and said almost and 18weeks and he said I wouldn't even have guessed you were pregnant!!! My uncle knows Im prego but says I look like I have just lost weight... It is almost saddening to me because I CAN TELL... but others can't... in a way am I jealous I don't have the skinny belly with baby bump... yea... but I hope I will show a bit more, or not show at all and just not be considered "looking fat."
July 17th, 2009, 07:02 AM
3Sapphires's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
no one noticed with either of mt pregnancies. it was depressing.

i was about 36 week with ds2 and i went to the hair dresser, i was having a few contrax, so i asked for minute to relax before she called me back - she rolled her eyes and walked away.

i then later explained to her that i was having some contrax and needed a minute, she said

"oh, you are pregnant huh?" i said yeah and i am due in less than a month - i was so hurt.

FF Chart**CrazyAmiCrochet**
Missing Our Angels gone too soon 6/5/10 & 2/19/14
Adam Michael 9/22/06 (c-section)~Nathan Joseph 9/4/08 (VBAC)~Lincoln Thomas 9/5/12 (VBAC)

July 21st, 2009, 08:14 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I have just started having people at work say "Oh, you are starting to show".

August 4th, 2009, 12:51 AM
Koti's Avatar Nugget's Mommy
Send a message via MSN to Koti Send a message via Yahoo to Koti
It's more noticeable in my maternity jeans.

I can't tell at all in my scrubs.

Ew, how am I going to fit into my scrubs when I get bigger?!?!?!
August 4th, 2009, 01:52 AM
Nyzira's Avatar Just call me Bam.
Send a message via AIM to Nyzira
I still just look fat... got the "B belly" as they call it. Just looks like my lower belly is getting fatter more than anything. I have to actually comment on being pregnant for anyone to know and I still don't get the comments. I'm hoping I'll manage to get the cute bump in the next few weeks but I'm not holding my breath.

August 4th, 2009, 01:57 PM
Veteran
I'm 29 weeks pregnant and just went to my next door neighbors (we just moved about a month ago) to invite her to a mary kay party I am having. I commented about being pregnant and due in 11 weeks and she as like WHAT?! no way my daughter is pregnant and due after you and she LOOKS pregnant You dont look pregnant.....I didn't know what to say I was like well I am and then felt stupid like a kid defending myself. It was pretty sad. I came home and whinned to DH and walked around without a shirt on for 10 min staring at my belly to convince myself i really was pregnant

Thank you so much to Mom2*Lauryn*Jacob* for my beautiful siggy!
August 4th, 2009, 02:12 PM
Indymommy7's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I am only 17 week, so maybe it's too soon, but I hate the confused looks when I mention I am pregnant.

Mother to Chad 19, Alexa 18, Jeremiah 16, Madelyn 13, Korinne 6, Sky 3, and introducing baby Linden 1/17/12

Thanks for the beautiful siggy

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search