New to JM, wanted to introduce myself!

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Trying to Conceive & Pregnancy LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 26th, 2009, 01:24 PM
DeepSouthMommy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Hi all! My name is Michelle and my husband Jason and I are TTC. We are both 33 and when we get pregnant, this will be our first child. We were originally waiting until November to try, but now that we've gotten into our new house, we've decided that we can't wait that long.

I've been trying to watch what I eat in the hopes of losing weight before conceiving, but I'm not going to lie...it's just not happening. I'm eating healthy for the most part, but I just haven't really put my all into dropping weight. I am currently 75 lbs. over my ideal weight and 40 lbs. over my goal weight before becoming pregnant. At this point I feel that if I lose any weight before hand great, if I don't, then that's ok too. I am just hoping that my weight doesn't cause me too many issues in TTC or during pregnancy.

So have any of you had issues in TTC or pregnancy due to weight? Has anyone been advised to loose weight in order to conceive? (They say that fat absorbs hormones so getting pregnant when you are heavy is often times harder.) And, if it applies, what are you doing to loose weight/get in shape that is safe to do in case of pregnancy?

Thanks in advance for any answers/advice. I look forward to hearing from all of you!
July 28th, 2009, 08:47 PM
Christina(mommyof2)'s Avatar Army Wife
I'm about 100 pounds overweight and it took 3-4 months for us to get pregnant.. My pregnancy was overall ok just the ending was not so good but every plus size women is different. and welcome!
August 1st, 2009, 03:54 PM
gumonyershoe's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to gumonyershoe Send a message via MSN to gumonyershoe Send a message via Yahoo to gumonyershoe
sorry so late in responding.

Welcome and congratulations on TTC.

I'm ... well I have no clue how far over 'goal' or whatever. I know that I'm around 320. And that's the heaviest I have ever been.

We've been TTC since January. So I guess that makes it just starting 8 months. I've only been charting my cycles since about April though and last month was the first one that I really seemed to ovulate. I was on metformin for a while until it was messing up my liver so I'm off it now.

I had at one point (a couple of years ago) planned on losing weight to make getting pregnant and having a healthy pregnancy easier. And then life happened. My MIL died (she was in some ways closer to me than my mom was at the time) and so I kind of quit caring and then most recently I've gotten a sit down/desk job so I am not very active to lose weight any more.

I haven't been told I need to lose weight before TTC (other than by friends). But doctors still consider me in the early stages of TTC since we've only been trying since Jan.

Best of luck!

Thank you Vicki... for my awesome siggy!
August 1st, 2009, 04:22 PM
DeepSouthMommy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Thanks everyone for your responses and welcomes! I haven't been told by my doctor or anything that I need to loose weight before TTC, but I wanted to do it for myself. I have a hard enough time doing a lot of things right now, so I was worried about how hard it would be getting around and getting stuff taken care of later in pregnancy. But, as you said gumonyershoe, life happens and we don't always get to choose the "perfect" route. My weight problem came from a combination of moving away from home and my family & friends as well as moving in with my then boyfriend (now husband) and getting 'comfortable'. So I've decided that I'll just start eating like I should...now how I want . I definitely do not want to start dieting or some crazy fitness regime right now because you never know when you'll get your BFP, but I figure just eating right will help me to start feeling better and maybe even lose a few pounds the right way.

Michelle ~ Mommy to Joseph
August 1st, 2009, 04:31 PM
gumonyershoe's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to gumonyershoe Send a message via MSN to gumonyershoe Send a message via Yahoo to gumonyershoe
Eating right is definitely the first step. I try to, but most of the time I just don't want to think about it. hah I'd love to get into some light exercise like bike riding or walking, but I don't want to do it alone and DH would rather not. *sighs*

Good luck, again!

Thank you Vicki... for my awesome siggy!
August 3rd, 2009, 08:45 PM
Justjeni's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hello Michelle and welcome!!! I haven't posted on here lately due to being very busy, but wanted to give you a warm welcome! I'm Jeni (34) and DH is Rob (35) and we are also TTC#1!
YaY for eating healthy! You can do it! Since Feb I have lost 28 pounds!
August 5th, 2009, 10:58 AM
Nicole1110's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Hi there. Just wanted to give some advice or encouragement from someone who did have trouble TTC due to weight issues. I was once nearly 300 lbs and didn't even have a period as a result of my weight. DH and I never prevented getting pregnant for over 3 years and it never happened. I think I was infertile as a result of my weight. I started eating healthy in 2008 and I dropped down to about 205 lbs. After I turned 30, the baby itch hit me bad so a few months later we started TTC. I used an OPK and we got pregnant on our very first cycle. Obviously at 205 I was still overweight but also apparently very fertile. I know for a fact that losing weight was what got me pregnant.

I would say as long as your ovulation isn't affected by your weight, you should be fine. I was shocked when it happened for us our first cycle and I know that is completely uncommon. Eating healthy is going to benefit you whether you are losing weight or not so I would say keep up with that. If you are really anxious, I would suggest buying an OPK to take the guess work out of it. It worked wonders for me! I wish you lots of luck and success in TTC!

Major

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search