labor and out of shape

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Trying to Conceive & Pregnancy LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 1st, 2009, 04:31 PM
Veteran
okay this is the first i've posted in here but I had a question about labor. I really want to try and have a natural childbirth but everything I read talks about being in shape and exercising so that the labor pains are easier. Well i'm certainly not in the shape I know I should be or any where near it so i'm worried that will make it harder or that I wont be able to do it. Just looking for some support or advice from the btdt mommas whether it was natural or not, is it really gonna be way worse because i'm not in shape?

Thank you so much to Mom2*Lauryn*Jacob* for my beautiful siggy!
August 1st, 2009, 10:45 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I am a first timer and I won't lie I am not in much shape to begin with either...

I read the Bradley Method birthing book and it has given me some insight on having a natural labor no matter what shape you're in... I also ended up buying a prenatal yoga DVD that I still have to start...

I plan on following the Bradley Method and using the prenatal yoga to hep ready my body... also do forget to do your Kegels... I have read that exercising your Kegel muscles daily can help reduce pain, improve stretching of the vagina, and also strengthing the muscles used in pushing the baby out!

Kegels, Kegels, Kegels...!!!
August 2nd, 2009, 06:19 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I just got done doing my first time of prenatal yoga and I highly recommend this DVD... Prenatal Yoga by Shiva Rae

It is approx 35-45 mins long and it is modified for 1st, 2nd, and 3rd trimester and if you are not flexible enough you can modify it to a different trimester... I can tell you that I feel fabulous after doing this DVD... and it was only my first time!!!

Shiva Rae when through meditation and relaxation technique, Kegels, pelvic floor exercises, hip, abdominal, back, and stretching... loved it!!!! And baby loved it too!!!
August 2nd, 2009, 11:39 AM
Veteran
thanks! I have been looking into the bradley method but haven't been able to buy the book yet ( tight budget) and I think i'm definitely going to look into getting the yoga dvd. Anything to help keep me from stressing out and relax before this baby gets here sounds great.

Thank you so much to Mom2*Lauryn*Jacob* for my beautiful siggy!
August 7th, 2009, 04:54 PM
Max n Meghan's Mom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I had a completely natural birth with my son. My biggest tip, tell the doctor and nurse right away NOT to ask you if you're in pain or want medications/epidural. Tell them that you will ask if you want it. It's easier to get through if you focus on just THIS moment, this contraction and not worry about what's next. Having them bug you about pain control only reminds you of whats to come.

Anyway, it's totally doable. Just take it one contraction at a time and tell yourself that it's ok to accept help if you do decide you need it!

Good luck!

Thank you for my beautiful siggy, *Kiliki*!Visit My Blog

August 21st, 2009, 11:33 AM
Mel531's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I've had 5 natural deliveries and the only one I could say I was "in shape" for was my first. I didnt have any complications with any of them, and was home within 24 hrs every time. I just had my last 6 weeks ago, at age 40..and Im still a plus sizer..it went very well. You can do it.
Seth 7-6-98, and Joel 7-13-09

August 25th, 2009, 02:02 PM
ChicaChels's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
i just had a ncb using bradley...it was amazing. i would do it again yesterday if i could! it is sooo empowering!! and the most amazing feeling in the world to actually FEEL your baby coming into the world! I am not "big" plus size (size 14 pants) and I'm kind ofi n shape only because I love to swim, but I definitely lost that being in shape aspect since I was on bedrest the last 10w I was pregnant..that being said I dont feel like giving birth would have been any easier if I was a fitness instructor or something. I think its WAY more mental than physical. I was in labor for 30 hours (15 of those 30 were hard labor hours) and I had a wonderful midwife. I agree with the pp - DONT let anyone offer you candy. I was induced and on Magnesium due to pre-eclampsia and the OB's were monitoring me - one of them kept saying "You know an epidural would make you so much more comfortable" and when it was a bad contraction I can't tell you how tempting it was. However my midwife and husband were amazing and knew I didn't really want it. Have a coach there to remind you, and definitely have a birth plan that your provider is aware of!
Pushing was the most physical aspect of labor and I only had to push 5x, but I thought it was going to be a lot more exhausting than it was. I think there are so many hormones that take over because prior to pushing I didn't think I would have the energy to do it. I was crying at one point because I had been awake for so long and I was so tired and ready to just be done with the labor nonsense I was begging my midwife for something to help me sleep. Then when it was time to push all those emotions, all the exhaustion, everything just went away! I don't remember feeling tired at all at that point! Your body was built to do this and it will know what to do! Just have faith in your coach, your provider and your body and you will do great!!!

Maverick Jude
December 9, 2013
5:20PM 8lb3oz 20.5"
Hospital water birth

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search