Plus-size vaginal delivery???

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Trying to Conceive & Pregnancy LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 24th, 2009, 01:10 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Who are our ladies here that have had a vaginal delivery...???

My OB talks to me like I am going to end up with a c/section because of my plus-size stature and because of my gestational diabetes...

I just want to know what Mamas here have had vaginal deliveries..... I need some inspirations... please!!! My biggest fear is c/section!
August 24th, 2009, 06:09 AM
Veteran
I haven't delivered yet (any day now), but no one at my practice has ever said anything about my weight indicating a a c-section, even now that I'm overdue.

I have several friends, larger than I am, who have had uncomplicated vaginal deliveries.

Neither your weight nor the gestational diabetes guarantees you'll have a c-section. If you're only 26 weeks, it's too soon for you to be fretting about the possibility. Just take care of yourself and the baby as best you can. The healthier the two of you are come delivery, the lower your chances are of needing a c-section.

August 24th, 2009, 11:51 AM
Nicole1110's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
The GD I get but what about your size puts you at risk for a C-section? I wonder if they are assuming that the baby will be too large to deliver naturally. Nobody at my Dr's office has mentioned anything about a C-section. Plus sized girls can push just like skinny girls can! Maybe you should just come out and ask about it at your next appt and ask why the OB seems to be constantly implying C-section. I hope you have the labor and delivery experience you want!

Major
August 24th, 2009, 02:40 PM
Nyzira's Avatar Just call me Bam.
Send a message via AIM to Nyzira
We're having this discussion over on another forum I frequent. The general consensus is that sections in overweight women are actually more high-risk due to complications with anesthesia, risk of infection to the incision site due to lack of proper airflow and just generally more difficult to perform due to the extra layers that have to be cut through. There's also usually a higher risk of bleed-out and a MUCH longer and harder recovery time.

I agree that you need to just straight out ask your OB why they're so set on you having a section. The overweight sections I've known have been because labour was induced improperly and the baby ended up going into distress or being breech.

Induction, I can see. For some reason, they (the general medical community) like to induce GD patients at 38 weeks. A c-section would be unnecessary, I would think.

August 25th, 2009, 12:43 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I am thinking the OB is trying to scare me into submission to be honest....

I want au natural birth and no induction unless I am over due... ugh...
August 25th, 2009, 01:05 PM
Vicki...'s Avatar Mommy to Caleb & Ethan
I had a vaginal delivery with Caleb and really did not have issues with delivery, I had to be induced due to pih/pre e problems, but c section was actually never mentioned, with the aid of pitocin my labor progressed just as it should, I think that had I not been induced two weeks early there probably would not have even been the need for pit.
My sister is also plus sized and has successfully delivered two babies vaginally with no problem either so don't let them play this game with you we can push just as well as skinny gals, the only way I would consider c section is if labor was not progressing and was putting the baby in danger or if baby was breech or otherwise in danger, or if the baby is to big to be safely delivered vaginally, hope this helps

August 25th, 2009, 01:47 PM
ChicaChels's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
i had a successful natural vag delivery and i was induced. twice they thought i was giong to need a section because brylie was having lates, but never because of my size. it was never mentioned once during my pregnancy either. your dr. seems scalpal happy..have you thought about looking for a new one? do you have midwives in your area? (avoid medwives!) otherwise I would really consider possibly getting a doula in your situation - because once youre in labor im not going to lie when the monitors start going off and the word c-section comes up you'll be so scared for your LO that you won't think clearly and probably be ok if they say you "need" it. I was fortunate that my midwife was a huge advocate for me, as was my husband...my midwife kicked the OB monitoring my Magnesium out because she was pushing for a c-section since i had stalled at 6cm for so long (this was before brylie started having lates).
having someone be your advocate is going to play a huge role in getting your NCB - especially with an OB

Maverick Jude
December 9, 2013
5:20PM 8lb3oz 20.5"
Hospital water birth
August 28th, 2009, 11:26 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Well I had my appointment with my midwife... and it went very well...

She said that either way because of the GD I will be induced around 39weeks but if my NSTs are fine then they will stretch it 40 weeks, and if I haven't gone into labor by then, then I will be induced at 40 weeks no matter what...

She totally understands my want of a NCB and said that she will not force a c/s... I have to have the OBs at the office "review" my chart to see if they are comfortable with me seeing a midwife... the midwife did put a note in my file, saying that I wasn't a non-compliant patient, that I was a very well informed patient on the subject of medicine and that I was paramedic hoping that if the OBs saw that they would be like OK.... all of my sugars have been fine and she said they are pretty much concerned only for my fastings which have been in the 80s so that is perfect...

I had my first growth u/s and the tech said my baby is right where its suppose to be... so I go back in 3 weeks for another u/s and midwife appointment... the only thing that blows is that the midwife I saw is taking awhile off from her job to be a SAHM... so I will end up with another midwife....

Either way she told me I would get my NCB but I would most likely be induced at 40 if I haven't popped by then.... So I guess it is off to research inductions....
August 29th, 2009, 10:18 AM
LBinDesMoines's Avatar Veteran
Send a message via Yahoo to LBinDesMoines
UGH I get frustrated at OB who try to force you in a c-section.

Your body! your baby! your choice! - I understand that a c-section would be necessary in an emergency but it's not like you are on the delievery table now.
August 29th, 2009, 11:40 AM
Mega Super Mommy
The only reason that my doctor stated we may need a c/s is Katie being too big to deliver vaginally. We are going to keep a close check on things as time progresses. I would prefer not to have a c/s, but I would prefer that option to having Katie have the same delivery issues that my friend's DD had last October. Little Eden ended up with a dislocated shoulder and a broken arm due to being a big baby and no one noticing there might be a problem until she was too far along to do a c/s. She was delivered vaginally but her mommy said she would have opted for the c/s rather than have her baby go through all that pain.

August 30th, 2009, 12:45 PM
Mel531's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I have had 5 NCB's..and 3 larger babies (two over 9, one over 10)

If anything I would think a bigger woman would be better suited to handle the stress it puts on your body.
Seth 7-6-98, and Joel 7-13-09

August 30th, 2009, 12:59 PM
ChicaChels's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
beth try not to let them saying sweet katie being "too big" scare you! i fully believe your body will not build a baby it cant birth. women were made to do this..and our bodies know what they are capable of
u/s to determine size are very inaccurate (my friend had one 14 hours before her son was born, and they said he was around 6lb12oz, he was 9lb15oz...i dont think he gained over 3lb in 14 hours )
Ask them to feel for her size..its much more accurate if you have someone who knows what they are doing! Our ultrasound at 36w told us Brylie was 8lb already...I had my midwife feel three days before my induction and she said "Your baby is 7 and a half or so and about 20 inches long"....brylie was born four days later and she was 7lb 7oz and 21 inches long!

Maverick Jude
December 9, 2013
5:20PM 8lb3oz 20.5"
Hospital water birth
August 30th, 2009, 04:59 PM
Nyzira's Avatar Just call me Bam.
Send a message via AIM to Nyzira
Part of that is scare tactics that a lot of hospitals and doctors like to pull on overweight women. There's this stereotype that all big women give birth to abnormally large babies and that just isn't the case. Not to mention, like was said, sizing ultrasounds can be off by as much as 3 lbs.Don't let them bully you into something you don't want to do... just go with it and see what happens as things move along.

September 2nd, 2009, 12:04 AM
Platinum Supermommy
All I know is I have read books and alot of them lately...

And there are numerous different positioning techniques that I will be implementing when it comes to a possibly stuck baby...

I agree with Chels... our bodies were meant to give birth and understanding your own body and how birth works can help you have IMO a better pregnancy and birth...

What my OB doesn't know is that I will be one of the stubborn patients that will be showing him that I was meant to birth without surgery, without meds... I will be talking with my midwife about her using more hands on techniques for measuring the baby other than u/s... U/S can be totally off by quite a bit and after reading some information on u/s I am not too comfy with having them done every 2 weeks... ugh!
October 29th, 2009, 10:24 AM
Max n Meghan's Mom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I had a NCB with my son. I didn't have GD though and was actually 3 days overdue. Personally, I'd fight the induction unless there was actual call for it ie you or baby having problems and needing to be delivered early. I'm uneasy with inductions after watching that movie that Ricki Lake did.

Thank you for my beautiful siggy, *Kiliki*!Visit My Blog

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search