Plus Size Pregnant Mommy... Help?

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Trying to Conceive & Pregnancy LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 7th, 2010, 06:25 AM
Hey girls! I'm new..

But anyways, the reason for this post:

I'm already plus size and pregnant with 2 kids (1 tot and 1 school ager). I still breastfeed the youngest.

I know you need to eat healthy while pregnant and even more so while pregnant AND nursing. I am 5'3" and 254 lbs. (I've already lost 47 pounds from the last pregnancy.) But I don't want to go overboard and gain as much weight as I did with my last pregnancy. I've been dieting so I really have NO idea how much to eat now lol. Help?!? How much of WHAT should I be eating?

I'm still waiting on my Medicaid to go through before I can even schedule my first appointment. I have NO clue as to how far along I am, as I have not had a TOM since before I was pregnant with my daughter (Dec. 2008). I know I need to eat enough for baby ... but do I still need to replace the 500 cals from breastfeeding?

My 13 mo. old still nurses more than she eats (and I plan on continuing bfing her until either she's 2 or she weans herself). The doctors say she's healthy, and I do offer her meals and snacks throughout the day.

ANY help would be appreciated!
November 7th, 2010, 08:46 AM
mom2myJo's's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hi there,

Congrats on the pregnancy. I wish I could answer your question by giving you a certain number of calories but I can't. When I conceived this baby to be born, I had to wait until I could see a dietician. I am also on state medical care and they were able to set me up with a consult to get my basic metabolic rate and go over what I should eat. When you have your first appointment, I would insist on such an appointment for yourself so that you have a professional answer to your questions of what and how much.

I was in short told that I really only needed to eat 100 calories more than my metabolic rate of 1900 calories ( they used a formula to figure it out based on my current diet and exercise) to keep my weight and the baby to be healthy. I was told that when I breast feed this baby when she is born, then I am to only eat the same amount of calories as I am now. ( I will not be eating 500 cal a day more than my basic metabolic rate) I know that by doing it this way, I will most likely lose weight while breast feeding.

I would say that the dietician would figure out your basic metabolic needs, which would include breast feeding and etc and go from there.

As far as how much your youngest is eating verses nursing, I would consult the pediatrician and see what they think. Do they know you are pregnant again? I would also check out the food pyramid that is available from this website. You can find the pyramid that would apply to you and they also have a kid pyramid too.

MyPyramid.gov - United States Department of Agriculture - Home

this pyramid is for pregnancy and breast feeding

MyPyramid.gov - United States Department of Agriculture

I hope this helps out and good luck!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search