Do you ever get tired?

Forum: Vegetarian Mommies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Vegetarian Mommies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 12th, 2005, 07:29 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Don't get me wrong I can talk until I'm blue in the face about all the reasons why I'm a vegetarian, but sometimes I just want to eat in peace! I hate when waiters at a restraunt say things like "Oh you're a vegetarian? My 2nd cousin twice removed on my fathers side was a vegetarian....blah blah blah....". Am I supposed to be amuzed? lol Usually all I say is "Good for them!". They all seem to want to know why. Sometimes, please, can I just order and eat? Please!?

People offer my DD food, and when I say no thank you, they always ask why? As soon as the V word slips out, you're in for a 45 minute conversation. Better clear you're afternoon!

I like to educate people on why it's not so great for you to be eating rotting flesh. (Not so great for the animals either!) But Vegetarians DO have lives too ya know. Sometimes, just sometimes, I break away from my constant cooking/jarring/baking/garden growing kitchen and go out into the real world, only to educate the others, of course.

So while I'm sitting eating my Tofu stirfry at a food court with my DD on my lap, and I'm getting dirty looks from a close by Mother who's sitting with her 2 children stuffing their faces with MacDonalds, I think to myself...Why Do I have to justify my decision? Shouldn't it be THEM! Shouldn't you be the one who stops to explain all the reasons why it's ok to feed yourself and your childern high fat, high calorie, high chemical content, high preservitive, high carbohydrate, tainted meat choices? Seriuosly, think about it. I Have to explain why I make heathly decisions for myself and my family, but everyone turns a blind eye to those who make bad choices? What's wrong with this picture?

My vent for the day.

</div>
November 12th, 2005, 10:00 AM
dingledine's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to dingledine Send a message via Yahoo to dingledine
That is hard. I dont' really have to explain myself. Maybe I am not doing enough things right? I have always been a vegetarian, so if people ask, that is what I say. I was born this way. Few people ever ask. Well, I am overweight, so maybe they assume that I am just doing this to lose weight. ?? Because I do take in a lot of the junk. (Which I am changing)

Sorry that people bug you! Just remember that you are doing the right thing, for you and for your family. Plus, you are giving them something to think about. When someone/something is different it can make waves.

Jewelry for yourself, or for a friend. Breastfeeding aides, beautiful bracelets, earings and more.

Store.beadsarebeautiful.com
November 13th, 2005, 07:22 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Thanks! You really don't turn a lot of heads? Maybe it's just where I am Especially in my hometown (very small town), vegetarians are not heard of. There they asume that veggie's don't eat cow, but still eat pork/chicken/fish etc. <sigh> My Grandmother still thinks I will eat chicken soup if she picks out the chicken Or make gravy, it 's ok cause there's not chunks of meat in it, lol. They try.

I used to take in a lot of junk also, but when I was pregnant I devolped preeclamsia very early on and was put on a strict diet. I couldn't believe how good I felt, so after the baby I kept it up!

</div>
November 13th, 2005, 11:09 AM
Mega Super Mommy
good for you ladies, and dont get too discouraged for explaining yourself.

i know all to well how monotanous this can get, but i do understand how one feels when someone does something out of the societal "norm". it makes them question their own choices, and makes them wonder why you arent following like a sheep as well.

but be strong, and say things to make them think. by you planting a seed of change amazing this can happen!!

and by the way Raines Mom...

you sound like me when you talk about pullling yopurself away from you canning, baking, cooking and gardening!! hahahah...thes are a few of my favorite things!!

keep it up!! and keep on being a shining example!
November 21st, 2005, 12:56 AM
I live in an area where hunting is HUGE and people can't unerstand why someone would choose not to eat meat, I am constantly asked why I'm a vegitarian and than I get a lot of weird questions from people who want to know exactly what i will and will not eat, some of it is undertsandable like "Do youeat Eggs?" but then there's always the people who ask things like "but do you eat hot dogs?" (well, yes, you see hot dogs are meat) or "do you eat saltine crackers?" (last i checked those weren't made of animals) it does get annoying sometimes
November 23rd, 2005, 09:32 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I hear ya. I'm currently not a strict vegetarian, but I used to be and I didn't get a whole lot of questions about it, but I did get the feeling that people were offended when I said I was vegetarian. That really bugged me. I sometimes explained that just because I'm not eating meat doesn't mean I expect you to give it up too. I never tried to impose my views on anyone ever, but some people just seemed angry at the mere mention that I was vegeatarian.

SciGuy,14 Butterfly Girl,12 Wyldchild,7 FlowerFairy,5 and Babybird,3

and RK, 13, exchange student from Japan

My Homeschooling Blog:
November 23rd, 2005, 01:36 PM
dingledine's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to dingledine Send a message via Yahoo to dingledine
That is so weird to me. I cannot think of a time when anyone has been surprised, baffled, or mad that I am a vegetarian, and I have been one all of my life. (32 years) Maybe because I have been chunky for about half of that time, so they assume I am just on some faddish diet?

Jewelry for yourself, or for a friend. Breastfeeding aides, beautiful bracelets, earings and more.

Store.beadsarebeautiful.com
December 30th, 2005, 04:20 PM
LilyBean's Avatar Veteran
I'm new here. You may have seen my two post that I added today.

I thought I'd throw in a different perspective. I'm transitioning to a plant-based diet now. I've always said that I wished I was raised as a vegetarian--because I don't like the idea of "eating animals". But I have no excuse for NOT becoming a vegetarian. I always figured I wouldn't be able to find good foods to eat. In fact, I'm still a little concerned about that. Not that I love eating animal flesh, but its a totally different way of thinking about food and cooking.

My aunt is a vegetarian, and I still remember the day I ask her about her being a vegetarian. I quizzed her with a million questions. I did it because I was curious about what vegetarians eat! I was also curious about her reasons for being a vegetarian. I ask a lot of questions like what you're "venting" about (do you eat gravy, what about soup without the chicken, etc.) I probably wouldn't have ask her anything if she was a complete stranger, but hey! she's family! She was very patient with me and honestly, its the first time I ever thought I could do it to.

As I go through this journey that I've set out for myself, I'll probably be ask these same questions. And I'm sure it'll be annoying.

But hey, you never know if you say something that makes someone think twice!
December 31st, 2005, 06:08 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Oh I have no problem talking to friends and family. I have even converted a couple. I just hate having to justify myself to complete strangers. If someone sounds even the slightest bit interested is one thing, but I always feel like they're asking just because they are being ignorant. You know what I mean?

</div>

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search