Arguing with SO about feeding daughter cows milk

Forum: Vegetarian Mommies

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Vegetarian Mommies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 14th, 2005, 12:55 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Ok I am no longer a strict vegetarian but I do not eat dairy products, personally I think drinking or consuming another animal's milk is the most unnatural thing in the world. I don't want to feed my daughter cows milk when she is older, because of all the allergies, mucus, ear infections etc associated with cows milk. I hope to nurse until she is two but if she self weans after a year, is it okay to feed her soy milk? Have any of you given your children soy milk at a young age? Is it true that toddlers need a milk in their diet?

My SO is totally against not giving her milk when she is older, he is brainwashed with the whole kids need milk, its healthy garbage.

December 14th, 2005, 01:37 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Soy milk is NOT good for toddlers. They may make a soy milk especially for toddlers, I'm not sure, but my Ped told me that there is not even close to the proper nutrients for toddlers in soy milk or rice milk. I drink rice milk myself, that's why I asked him. Sorry I'm not much help, I know there are brands made just for toddlers, but I'm not sure what they are exactly.
<div align="center">

December 19th, 2005, 09:10 AM
dingledine's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to dingledine Send a message via Yahoo to dingledine
NOwadays people are starting to see that SOY isn't as good as people thought, at least not processed soy. YOu can make your own soy milk at home, or buy one that isn't overly processed, but even so. Babies/toddlers CAN get enough protein/calcium from other sources, such as veggies, nuts and fruit. I can do some research and get back with you, some time in January, after I get back from vacation. It is research that I NEED to do also, because I think I am going to run into the same issue with my DH. I suggest you do some research yourself. Good luck.

Jewelry for yourself, or for a friend. Breastfeeding aides, beautiful bracelets, earings and more.

December 26th, 2005, 09:13 PM
MissyPrincessEha's Avatar Platinum Supermommy

The Physicians Committee for RESPONSIBLE medicine have this article:
Parents' Guide to Building Better Bones

Follow the link above! Let me know if this helps. That site by the way is FANTASTIC!
"I am a midwife. It is not just what I do, it is what I am, and I grow in it."
-Ruth Cobb

December 28th, 2005, 03:12 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I just wanted to mention (as I reread my post) that I'm in no way advocating cows milk, just that I was told the soy and rice are not good subsitutes. I know for sure that they make a toddler formula, as our Ped gave us samples, but DD hated it. I don't remember what it was. We still give DD cows milk, she gets a bit with breakfast and supper. The rest of the time it's water and for snacks 100% fruit juice.
<div align="center">

December 29th, 2005, 07:56 AM
Kennysm0m's Avatar Veteran
Send a message via MSN to Kennysm0m
Hello..I am not a vegetarian but I was reading your posts and just wanted to tell you about my experience. My son was breastfed until he was only 5 weeks becuase he was not thriving..could not latch properly. Like a dummy instead of pumping I just switched him to formula..milk based. My son had horrible reaction to the milk based products so my ped told me to switch him to soy. Well that was better and he stayed on that till he was almost 2. My DS was slow at talking and I was worried about him so I brought him for a checkup and talked to my ped about it. He said that children need the fat in milk to help develop their brains. It was hard to get him to drink it since the taste was so different from soy but after a struggle my son finally started drinking white 2% milk. He almost immediatly started improving with his language skills and now at 3 1/2 he knows more than I could have ever hoped for at his age.

Just a little experience on my part thought I would share.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search