How long have you been a vegetarian/vegan?

Forum: Vegetarian Mommies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Vegetarian Mommies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 30th, 2005, 03:02 PM
LilyBean's Avatar Veteran
While posting about the China Study, I started wondering about all of you, how long you have been a vegetarian/vegan and if you were not always, when did you make the switch? Also, can you share advise that will be helpful for me as I make this transition.

A little bit about me: I am 31 years old, married and have lived in Northern California for 12 years. Before that I lived in Georgia, where I was born and raised. My diet has changed a lot in the 12 years that I've been exposed to better quality fruits and vegetables. I also married an American-Chinese man who I've learned a great deal from about fruits and veggies.

I mentioned earlier that I no longer drink cow's milk (except for creamer--which I'm transitioning out too). The reason I decided to stop drinking cow's milk initially was because we're TTC #1, and I started wondering if the hormones in cow's milk was making it difficult for me to conceive. I had no idea what a can of worms I opened for myself when I started doing a little internet research about cow's milk. Before last month, I was drinking 1-2 gallons of cow's milk A WEEK!!! Mostly because I thought it was "good for me", but also because I liked the taste! So far, I noticed some weird changes after about 1 week of not drinking milk, like a few nasty nasty rashes and I wasn't feeling so great. Now I'm feeling really good, and even though no one else notices, I believe I've lost a few pounds!

After reading The China Study, I now feel the same way about all animal-based foods as I do about cow's milk, and I'm really antsy to eliminate animal-based foods from my diet ASAP.

I guess you could say I'm an all-or-nothing kind of person, and like to do things quickly, once I set my mind to it.

If you are kind enough to respond to my post, please remember to recommend any veggie recipe books that you can't live without. Also, if you have any recommendations on brands of green tea, I'd love to know about those as well!

Thanks for reading and responding!

-Denise
January 4th, 2006, 02:06 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I've been a veggie for about 10 years now. My Hubby and 2 year old Daughter are also veggetarians. It was really easy for me to give up, I'm an animal lover, as soon as I was old enough to realize that what I was eating WAS an animal, I started phasing out meat.

I LOVE The Veggetarian Family Cookbook by Nava Atlas. We have a sticky at the top of this forum with everyones favorite cookbooks also you can check out.

I don't drink green tea very often, so I'm afraid I wouldn't know which is best. I do however work in a coffee shop and most of our costomers swear by Bigalow. I have no idea whether that would be organic or anything though, we don't sell it.

Sorry it took so long to respond, holidays get a bit hectic for everyone I think. Hope too see you around, I'll try my best to answer any other questions you might have, and there are lots of great ladies here I know will too.

</div>
January 11th, 2006, 11:20 AM
I'm 31, and have been vegetarian, with some lapses, since I was about 15 or 16. I went through a few years when I did eat fish occasionally, maybe a few times a year, but when I got pregnant in January 2004 I totally stopped. I'm very happy to say my daughter is a happy and healthy little (well... not so little!) veggie baby.

I love Entertaining for a Small Planet and something like Vegetarian Express Lane.
January 13th, 2006, 11:28 AM
MissyPrincessEha's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Hey! Glad to see you are switching over. I have been a vegetarian for 2 years now. And I went cold "turkey" so to speak. LOL! I just bought a few books and went for it the next day. Cleaned out all animal products and went shopping. It was so hard at first. I am a southern gal raised on meat and potatoes and really missed those savory tastes for a while. But after buying lots of cookbooks I finally happened upon a GEM! A diamond in the rough! The Vegetarian Times magazine go to www.vegetariantimes.com, they have free recipes archives! It rocks! Instead of finding just a few recipes from each cookbook. I was finding I loved everything I tried in this magazine! I now know that even if it sounds weird that I will like it if I just give it a try. When the new edition comes in the mail my kids and hubby sit around me as we read and salivate over the new recipes. LOL! We get giddy about trying the new recipes. It is so funny. Now, after 2 years my meat eating family and friends beg me for recipes, beg me to cook and ask for nutritional advice. LOL! I am finally comfortable in my new eating ways. And I have never had more fun or enjoyed my food more than I do now. I look forward to shopping trips and cooking. I adore eating animal and planet friendly meals.

YOU CAN DO THIS!

January 15th, 2006, 03:03 PM
dingledine's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to dingledine Send a message via Yahoo to dingledine
I am a fourth generation vegetarian. To me, eating meat, is about as foreign a thing, as eating stones, plastics, worms, or whatever. I don't really have a problem with someone else eating meat though. I just don't do it myself. I have given it a go, but I was just so sick at the though of what I was doing... I couldn't finish, or I spit it all out. I am not the healthiest vegetarian, because like a lot of other people, meat eaters, and any one else. I am attracted to sugary foods. We all have our temptations, well that is mine. I am quite interested in reading the book that you mentioned, and I am hoping to find it at the library.

Jewelry for yourself, or for a friend. Breastfeeding aides, beautiful bracelets, earings and more.

Store.beadsarebeautiful.com
January 19th, 2006, 09:00 AM
MommyStacey2012's Avatar Veteran
Send a message via AIM to MommyStacey2012 Send a message via MSN to MommyStacey2012 Send a message via Yahoo to MommyStacey2012
I have been vegan since I was 10 and I was til 21 and then l when I was pregnant with my daughter I start eat chicken. I ate it till I had my son and now I am back to being a vegan agian.
Seraphina Nova 5/10/2013
Ten Angels in heaven

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search