Help from the experts! :)

Forum: Vegetarian Mommies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Vegetarian Mommies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 6th, 2004, 02:20 PM
tig2ger4lifemommy
Hi everyone,

I'm BFing my son, Nathan, who I think maybe allergic to milk products and since what Mommy eats Nathan eats, I'm going to have to change my diet. I had Pizza last night and he was a mess all night, I didn't get a wink of sleep. Got to thinking about it and its been everytime I eat something with milk/dairy products that Nathan's reflux starts to worsen....a reaction or allergic reaction to the above? Any thoughts?

Now first of all, let me say, I did grow up a vegeterian. We did not have meat or dairy products in the house. IF we got something from one of those groups it was for a special occasion and treated as a treat! Ice Cream was always the big fav..."You do want Ice Cream for your B-day???"!!!

Anyways......can you help me as it has been a couple years.....about 4-5 yrs since I've cooked vegetarian(I cooked all the meals, being homeschooled it taught me lots!). Now, I'm 26 and going "shoot, what has dairy/milk products in it?"

Please help me! My mom mentioned Bread, something I wouldn't have thought of....so out comes the packed up bread maker...one way to get it into use! LOL

Please also help with good recipes for a household that has to be split. DH is not going to give up the milk/dairy products. Any thoughts on how to handle this??? Thank You!!!
August 8th, 2004, 06:40 PM
Super Mommy
Some ideas for snacks and foods (assuming your baby isn't allergic to other foods) ...

hummus
veggies dipped in non-dairy dressing
pasta salad (lots of veggies)
soups (broth with veggies and beans, chili, etc.)
wraps with spread and veggies

If you are eating nuts, you have the option of adding those.

Hmmm... that's hard. I love my cheese!

Good luck!
Nik
August 9th, 2004, 05:36 AM
Faith's Avatar Super Mommy
Okay ... have you checked other dairy products to make sure it is actually that? We thought my youngest was allergic to dairy, and then realized he had the same reaction when I had spaghetti sauce, orange juice, and grapefruit. He had a hard time handling citric acid, even in breastmilk - the dairy turned out to be fine, lol.

That said, I had to do this too! My middle ds has some dairy issues and while he can have it in small portions, it makes him tired and royally messes with his digestive system. So, we avoid it. I learned to avoid dairy when I was nursing him.

Basically - I've learned to make a lot of things from scratch. Substitute soy milk for regular milk (later, once eggs are okay, you can make pancakes and french toast using soy milk - my kids actually prefer it that way now). There's soy yogurt out there (which I've never eaten but ds likes it. Split casseroles in half and put cheese on one half and not on the other. Make 4 courses instead of three (this is the norm for our house, which is why I use it as an example) and have three be dairy free and one with dairy for those who have to have it. I used to cook up big portions of dairy free entrees and freeze them in smaller portions for myself and Andrew. I usually keep side dishes pretty simple (steamed veggies or potatoes, or brown rice, that kind of thing) so those usually aren't hard to keep dairy out of.

The ice cream issue ... I like to buy fresh fruit when it is on sale, and whir it in the blender with some lemon juice and sometimes a touch of honey ... then freeze, whip it again after the first half hour to hour, and freeze until solid. Can't beat that!! Or, smoothies - soy milk, fruit (I use a cup of fresh cut up fruit, a frozen cut up banana, and 1/2 cup soy milk) are a fun cool treat for any age. Add some soy yogurt if you'd like, or some silken tofu, for some extra protein. You can buy powdered soy milk too.

I will say that one of the best side effects of this is that my dairy free child eats a better balanced diet than any of the others ... and we all eat a LOT less dairy (and have a lot less digestive issues - apparently we all had some form of lactose intolerance), more veggies, more whole grains ... I don't know. I guess it makes a difference when you know firsthand what goes into what you're eating, lol!

Enough rambling for me ...

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search