Unhealthy Vegetarian

Forum: Vegetarian Mommies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Vegetarian Mommies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 6th, 2006, 02:58 PM
dingledine's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to dingledine Send a message via Yahoo to dingledine
Okay, I am a life long, 4th generation, vegetarian, and well I KNOW what I SHOULD eat, but I don't eat it. I call it life style choices, but my DH is NOT a vegetarian and he doesn't really like how I eat. He doesn't say much, but we have an 8 mo old now, and that baby isn't likely to be a vegetarian if I don't shape up. Literally. I eat crap, crave sugary goodies, I down it like the world is ending, any second now. My DH I think assumes I don't know how to eat in a healthy manner. However, I have READ a TON, it is just practicing it. My self control is gone, when I see/think of goodies. Suggestions? I know, at least do it for the baby, but that line of reason isn't cutting it. I have some serous problem ladies.

Jewelry for yourself, or for a friend. Breastfeeding aides, beautiful bracelets, earings and more.

Store.beadsarebeautiful.com
January 7th, 2006, 06:21 AM
Mega Super Mommy
It's HARD to get out of the junkfood cravings. It's addictive, truely. Your best bet is not to cut it out completely, otherwise you are just going to refrain from it for so long, then binge again. What kind of junk food do you eat? Sweets I gather from your post. Try buying healthier versions of what you eat, or make it yourself, so you know what you are putting in it. Keep lots of fresh fruit on hand, and lots of ready to go snack foods, so what you have that urge to nibble on something sweet, you can grab a banana, or apple, or rasins, etc.

Some snack ideas for you too think about buying instead of your sweets next time you are at the grocery store.

LOTS of fresh fruit :
Apples
Bananas
Oranges
Berries (Whatever looks good at that time of the year)
Melons
Mangos
kiwi
grapes
Yogurt is always good, it's great on it's own, or mixed up in a smoothy with all that fresh fruit.

Granola bars, ones that are NOT packed full of sugar, but are sweetened by rasisn, cranberries etc.

Chocolate is my vice, I buy dark chocolate with at least 74% coco, melt it in a fondue pot and dip strawberries, apricots, etc. I don't feel SO guilty that way

If it's carbs your craving try baked pita chips with salsa or spinach dip (my fav!). Popcorn.Or even splurge on some baked nachos chips, melted cheese salsa and whatever other toppings you like, we like onions and ground soy.

And once in awhile, eat that junk! I know many others won't agree, but once in awhile (less then once a month) DH and I will rent some movies, pick up a bag of chips and so insanly high fat content dip, maybe a couple candy bars and pig out. What we don't finnish, we throw out, so that it's not sitting in the house to pick at. Honestly though, I don't usually feel well after eating junk food like that, almost hungover the next morning.

Try not too keep junk in the house, if it's there, you will eat it. Hope this helps a little bit, I am a recovering junkfood addict myself.

</div>
January 7th, 2006, 10:24 PM
Yeah, if I could just keep it out of the house. I do ALL of the shopping, so it is possible. But, if it isn't one thing, it is another. I buy the toaster strudels, or maybe sugary cereal, or pastries, or just anything. If it weren't those things, I would be in the pantry mixing a bowl of peanut butter and honey together and digging it out of the bowl. I DO buy yogurt, it is great in a smoothie, I have made up some fabulous recipes for those, I DO buy the at least 72% cocoa bars, I LOVE them, but I don't eat a lot of them. I DO buy fruit, but it usually just sits around and gets old. MY DH has suggested the making things, which is good, except I am the one that eats most of it. I am going shopping tomorrow, maybe I can keep myself from buying much/any goodies. We have TONS around the house though. It is just the sweet stuff I have problems with. Well, that and potato products. Thanks for the tips. I need all of the tips and help that I can get.

Jewelry for yourself, or for a friend. Breastfeeding aides, beautiful bracelets, earings and more.

January 8th, 2006, 06:23 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I ONLY but plain ol' Cheerios and shredded wheat for cereal now, if I want it sweetened a bit I add a little sugar or honey and some cinnamon. What you add will not be nearly the amout that comes in the presweetened stuff. Toaster struddles and whatnot are EVIL! LOL, I couldn't ever buy them, I'd eat them all at once, I have such a sweet tooth I eat toast with honey or cinnamon whenever I need a sugar fix instead.

Ideas are all well and good, but I know that you can't change your eating habits until YOU want too. BTDT. Until then, you can try your best, but you will just keep making excuses why not too. I don't mean too sound harsh at all, but that was my experience. I had an excuse for and could justify everything.

</div>
January 9th, 2006, 10:44 AM
That is all SO true!

January 13th, 2006, 11:48 AM
MissyPrincessEha's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
LOL! Girl you have a sugar addiction! Try getting a good probiotic to help calm down the yeast in your system which is causing these crazy cravings...and I bet they got this bad while pg...just a guess. You can beat this addiction girl! I know it!

January 15th, 2006, 03:06 PM
I have been like this since I was a kid. I only didn't start having much access to sugar until I was 14, and I didn't start gaining weight until I was nearly 16. I will try the probiotics. I am seeing a new doctor, and she seems good, hopefully she can help. Thanks for all of the advice. I have so many bad eating habits.

January 16th, 2006, 09:14 AM
Mega Super Mommy
The best thing that worked for me was just to read the ingredients on everything. Just seeing what I was putting into my body really helped me stop with the junk food.

</div>

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search