Do you think it's wrong to raise your children...

Forum: Vegetarian Mommies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Vegetarian Mommies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 26th, 2004, 07:14 PM
twinsmom26
I have been thinking about this a lot lately. I dont like the fact the my boys eat meat, but my DH insists that they continue to do so. I wont feed them meat myself right now, but I will let another person if they choose to do so. So now I am thinking that I am sending them mixed signals by doing this. I know if I raise them vegetarian strictly, that one day they will probably go against it and eat meat anyways behind my back and that's not the kind of relationship I want with my kids. It's kind of like telling a kid over and over again that smoking is bad and then one day the decide to rebel and do it. I know I cant control everything, but it kills me to see them eat any meat products. Have any of your kids asked you yet why you dont eat meat? Would you tell them the God's honest truth in detail why you dont?
August 26th, 2004, 07:53 PM
lilepad's Avatar Member
My son is too young to be questioning it (1 year in 10 days ), but I don't MAKE red meat at home, so there's no way he will eat it at home. He gets red meat at daycare and that's all he needs--nobody needs red meat 2x a day. Sure, he doesn't get it every day, but he gets it enough. DH is fine with this arrangement--he only eats red meat occasionally. Tommy will choose for himself when he's older.

boob man
August 27th, 2004, 11:21 AM
alyssasmommy2001
I myself am not a vegetarian, but I think you should do what is best for you and your family. I don't think it is a bad idea, as long as they are getting protein from somewhere else. It sounds like the only problem you may have is with your hubby. Ask him why he wants them to eat meat. I guess it is just something you will have to decide amongst yourselves. But other than your DH, I wouldn't let anyone influence your decision, b/c that is exactly what it is, YOUR decision. Good Luck!
September 9th, 2004, 02:50 AM
RandomRobot's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I am a veggie, my DH is not. We let the kids eat meat but I have veggie days for them 3 times a week so they get to sample that choice. Jamie is too young to question it but Ciara notices that I eat differently and has never asked my why. I dont think its wrong to raise them veggie if they are getting the right balance - its what works for you, the way I see it , it was my choice to be a veggie and If the kids want to choose that when they are older then thats their choice.
September 9th, 2004, 02:52 AM
zonapellucida
I don't think it is wrong to raise a child vegetarian at all.
September 10th, 2004, 05:29 AM
twinsmom26
Quote:
Jamie is too young to question it but Ciara notices that I eat differently and has never asked my why.[/b]
Are you going to tell her the truth when she does ask? My son has asked once now and I told him I choose not to eat animals. Now when he ask me why I dont want to eat animals I wonder if I will tell him the complete truth. It can be a lot for a 5 year old to take in you know?

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search