Are your babies vegetarian? Not sure if my son should be or not.

Forum: Vegetarian Mommies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Vegetarian Mommies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 18th, 2010, 03:27 PM
missmich
I never liked meat! I was always forced to eat it as a kid though. I finally figured out at 16 that I didn't have to eat it anymore. I thought I might raise my kids to be "semi vegetarian" and this would mean at home they have veggie meals and try tofu and other things with me and out of the house they can have meat. I never really learned how to cook it and don't want to. I may buy the occasional frozen meat (like chicken nuggets etc... if I had kids) and buy sandwich meat and that kind of thing. I want my son to have a choice in what he eats.

Now I don't know if I want him to have meat at all or not. Of course since he's not even eating food yet I have a lot of time to decide. How did you decide if your babies would be vegetarian or not? Was it easy enough to make sure they got what they needed to be healthy? I worry about his iron levels if he won't be eating meat.
October 18th, 2010, 05:09 PM
mgm78's Avatar Zoe's mom Meredith
Send a message via Yahoo to mgm78
hi!!
we are raising DD veg. as long as you give a variety of foods, getting nutrients is not an issue. Beans are really high in iron and so are other things like quinoa, spinach, kale, etc. Also, a lot of things like cereal and granola bars are fortified as well. I figure if down the road she wants to try meat than we can discuss it. You can get veggie dogs, nuggets and pretty much anything else, so no real reason for meat imo.

October 18th, 2010, 06:45 PM
Erin.minus.thyroid's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
we didnt switch to veggie until my son was over 3 so he was not veggie from the start. He never really liked meat though so he didnt eat much besides chicken nuggets and deli turkey. Now that we are veggie he asks for meat much more than he ever wanted it before. At home we only cook vegetarian but sometimes when we go out to eat we will allow him to have meat if he chooses. Its not often so we think its a good compromise.
The only thing we really avoid for him is soy. I dont like the estrogen involved in soy. I think in small amounts it would be ok but i really prefer to avoid it altogether. We dont really eat meat substitutes because my main reason for switching is that i never liked meat to begin with.
DD born 1/3/12

October 18th, 2010, 09:35 PM
missmich
I actually really like the meat substitutes and don't find them "meaty" at all.

I was given a jar of baby food with meat in it,but I don't think I'll use that at all. I think it's all ready in my donate box.
October 19th, 2010, 06:13 AM
whether you are veg or not, a jar of meat sounds gross!

October 20th, 2010, 08:30 PM
Celry's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We aren't veg and neither are our kids, but we eat very little meat. The kids don't like meat and I never push them to eat it on the rare occasion we have it. They eat a very well balanced diet and get protein from other sources.

Thank you peimum for my siggie

Dec 26 '08, BFP after 21 months thanks to acupuncture
Jan 14 '09, first u/s one strong heart beat
Jan 28, '09, second u/s, Surprise! two strong heart beats
Aug 13, '09 Arya and Eiley are born on what would have been their great grandmother's 105th birthday
365 Days in a Roe

November 25th, 2010, 10:52 AM
Avery'smommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
100% vegetarian and 80% vegan
April 28th, 2011, 07:16 PM
365seasons's Avatar Veteran
I think whatever you choose is okay! Like mentioned, theres so many alternatives out there (and so many tasty ones!!) that I don't think iron levels should be of a worry so long as you make them yourselves.

Personally, I became a vegetarian when I was 9, my husband eats meat still (only when he buys/cooks it himself, and when we are out) so I decided to give my son the same choice.
When he is old enough, I will explain it to him, and he can go from there.
But as I'm vegetarian, he eats and loves all of the veggie/alternative options too
April 29th, 2011, 08:28 AM
spicymustard's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My dd has never had meat. It was a no-brainer for me to raise her that way since I've been doing it so long. Will be doing the same for my son.

May 5th, 2011, 12:24 PM
I've only been fully Veg for a year. I don't know if I will remain this way the rest of my life. I am living abroad and the normal diet here does not include meat. Also, I guess I have grown sentimental towards animals reading about how they are raised and slaughtered. I enjoy listening to birds sing and play and it just struck me as cruel to eat them. I know this may sound silly, but that's how it happened.

When I return to the U.S., I am not sure how I will feel. I know it is harder to be Veg there because meat is everywhere and in everything! My husband eats meat occasionally, but not at home. We will keep the baby Veg for now, but I will let him/her make their own choices as they grow up.
May 5th, 2011, 03:51 PM
hi Pam! welcome to the board. I do not find it hard to be vegetarian, but I guess depending on where you live in the states when you return it could be challenging. I am an animal lover and cannot imagine eating animals, so i hear ya!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search