A question about veggie menus for kids....

Forum: Vegetarian Mommies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Vegetarian Mommies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 30th, 2004, 03:11 PM
OhClueless1
My son Brenden has never been a big meat eater... He is more of a veggie kind of guy. I do NOT force him to eat meat... just to clarify... I think his aversion to it is a texture thing relating to his neuroligical challanges. Its not a problem no matter. My only concern is that he would rather live off PB&J and I don't think thats healthy. So I am looking for some things that I can cook for him that will give him more variation in his diet.

He will eat processed meats but he only gets that stuff at school as I don't buy those things for at home. Well maybe once a month I will make home made pizza. But anywho... I am looking for some ideas as to where he can get the protein he needs. I know beans are good sources of protein but he doesn't really care for them either. Lentils he will eat and sometimes I make this 15 bean soup that he seems to like. I just need some ideas... I don't think this is a phase and I want to make sure he is getting enough variety. We are pretty good about fresh veggies... we have salad a lot and I am lucky that my kids will eat any kind of veggie around. Brocoli, cabbage, spinach.. they are all really good about it. I just worry he isn't getting enough protein.

Thanks in advance!

PS... He just started refusing to eat meat about a month or so ago.. Though like I said before he was never overly fond of it. But he would eat chicken... now he isn't eating that either. So he will have veggies and rice with a snack of maybe carrots and PB. He is maintaining his weight. I don't think the meds help much with his appetite... but we work around it best as we can.
August 30th, 2004, 03:28 PM
Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to HippyChickKelly
my doctor had told me that PBJ is not all that bas esp if you go fo rthe natural stuff

Hummus is good stuff to use in sandwiches or make it with Cheese and some veggies!!
Good luck!!
If I think of anything in particular Ill let ya know!!
~Kelly
August 30th, 2004, 03:50 PM
twinsmom26
http://veggietable.allinfo-about.com...ecipes-az.html

Here are some recipes to choose from.

and as for the protein here are some tips.... (soy is an excellent source of protien)

*stir-fry cubes of tofu and diced vegetables in a teriyaki or ginger sauce and serve over rice

*instead of regular milk, pour soymilk over cereal (many cereals now feature soy flakes as well)

*substitute veggie ground "meat" in pasta and rice mixes calling for hamburger or turkey

*visit a health food store or whole foods market to check out their selection of vegetarian foods

Sorry I couldnt be anymore help. Good luck with your son!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search