When did you become a Vegetarian?

Forum: Vegetarian Mommies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Vegetarian Mommies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 18th, 2011, 05:33 PM
mgm78's Avatar Zoe's mom Meredith
Send a message via Yahoo to mgm78
When did you become a Vegetarian? early in highschool, so like 17-18 years ago

Why did you switch? (if you did.) a visit to a cow farm where the cows were sick and the stench almost killed me.

Any regrets? nope

What do friends and family say?
they were not supportive, but it is what it is and how i am. it is NOT a phase like they think it is, come on, we are going on almost 2 decades

April 20th, 2011, 12:23 PM
spicymustard's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
When did you become a Vegetarian? 1998

Why did you switch? (if you did.) Never liked eating meat so I stopped when I moved out

Any regrets? nope

What do friends and family say? they thought it was a phase for the first couple of years. now they are totally supportive. even my peditrician is veg and probably half the people in my running club are veg as well. I live in sourthern california though so I think I'm just lucky.

April 28th, 2011, 07:10 PM
365seasons's Avatar Veteran
When I was 9
Why did you switch? (if you did.)
I just got sick of eating meat, and was such a huge animal lover.
Any regrets?
None! Never crave it.
What do friends and family say?
At first, everyone was skeptical. No one I knew at the time was a vegetarian, they thought it'd be just a phase. I still get the occasional "DONT YOU MISS IT?!" from family and friends, but for the most part, they all support it.
May 5th, 2011, 12:30 PM
I became a full Vegetarian a year ago, but also, for the 3 years before that, I only ate chicken/fish maybe once a month.

I became sentimental towards animals and could not think about them in my mouth. I am also living abroad where meat is not in the general diet (that makes it easier).

Regrets, well, sometimes I do crave the taste. I have eaten meat my whole life so it has a lot of memories attached to it. I am also worried I will not be able to keep up the lifestyle once back in the U.S. It does take more effort to be Veg. esp. when eating out.
May 5th, 2011, 03:52 PM
mgm78's Avatar Zoe's mom Meredith
Send a message via Yahoo to mgm78
Over time I no longer have cravings, i have been vegetarian for so long that eating meat does not even cross my mind. eating out, for the most part is ok. what part of the country will you be living in?

May 5th, 2011, 04:25 PM
tundrababy's Avatar Mega Super Twin Mommy
When did you become a Vegetarian? On and off since birth

Why did you switch? (if you did.) I went back this last time in Jan of this year, vegan this time

Any regrets? Not really

What do friends and family say? A lot of my mom's family and our friends are veg, Portland has a large veg following so people are just used to it.

June 1st, 2011, 09:29 AM
miamor
When did you become a Vegetarian? almost 14 years now. tried to become vegetarian several times in high school but wasn't eating right and my family wasn't any help. finally figured it out and never went back.

Why did you switch? (if you did.) i cant eat what i cant look in the eye and kill myself. i respect life and it's not my place to take it.. i cant even kill insects. i dont agree with the way animals are treated...many reasons.

Any regrets? not at all.

What do friends and family say? they weren't supportive at first. then realized it wasn't just a phase and got over it. now they always plan to have something for me to eat at gatherings and accommodate me.
June 1st, 2011, 07:10 PM
About 3 years ago

Why did you switch? (if you did.)
I watched Earthlings. I was completely ignorant to all the horrors of the meat industry until my husband and i watched that. We quit meat that day. Became Vegan about a year after that.

Any regrets? I miss cheese sometimes, but usually when I cheat and eat it i feel bloated, and it doesn't taste good to me.

What do friends and family say? They are fine now, but I get a lot of well what do you eat? type questions from time to time. My grandma thinks I won't be able to breastfeed because I won't have calcium...which is soooo not true. How do the cows have calcium? They're not running around drinking milk...they get it from green plants, just like me...crazy grandma...
July 6th, 2012, 07:21 AM
myfavoriteshoes's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Skype™ to myfavoriteshoes
When did you become a Vegetarian? Since November '11. Vegan since January '12.

Why did you switch? Health reasons and animal lover.

Any regrets? Nope, not at all!

What do friends and family say? They keep insisting I need to eat meat because it's good for me... But I just ignore it.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search