New. Interested in becoming Vegetarian

Forum: Vegetarian Mommies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Vegetarian Mommies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 20th, 2011, 11:29 PM
sweet.hun's Avatar We're Complete <3
Hi ladies. I'm Shasta, 26. DH is Jesse, 25. I've always been interested in becoming a vegetarian for my health and well-being. Today I think was the kicker that pushed me overboard and full face into the Vegetarian world. I was at the county fair today and they have 4H animals for show out there. We got to the beef section and this one cow was getting his fur shaved and was in that holder thing that keeps them still. The poor thing was crying. I figure it was because he was scared. It almost brought me to tears, right there at the fair. I got so choked up, and hours later I still am. It just breaks my heart.

I think now is a good time for a life change to be honest.

Always missing my 3 angels. 2/9/06, 3/12/11, 5/22/12
April 21st, 2011, 02:50 AM
mgm78's Avatar Zoe's mom Meredith
Send a message via Yahoo to mgm78
Welcome to our board and congrats on your decision to try a meat free lifestyle At first it can be quite a change, but over time, it will get easier. Finding vegetarian versions of your favorite dishes is the best way to start, if you want help with recipes, let me know what kind of food you like and we can go from there fat free vegan's blog is my favorite place for recipes, vegweb is a big database of veg recipes submitted by users. Both good places to start!

April 21st, 2011, 08:24 AM
spicymustard's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Welcome! It's so easy to be veg these days and there are so many resources online.

April 21st, 2011, 08:55 AM
Marieke's Avatar Mommy to an angel
Aww that is awful I would have cried too. Congrats on your decision! And welcome

TTC since August 2008
6 IUIs:

IVF #1 (september 2012): 11 eggs, none fertilized, no transfer
IVF ICSI #1 (may 2013), 1 blastocyst: (m/c 7 weeks )
FET #1 (october 2013), 1 blastocyst:

IVF ICSI #2 (april 2014): 5 eggs, 4 fertilized, 2 bad quality embryos, no transfer
IVF ICSI #2.1 (coming soon)
April 21st, 2011, 09:30 AM
Thank you ladies. My favorite food is Spaghetti (which I don't have to change up much, just no meat in the sauce), I've always been a salad eater so that doesn't have to change. I've seen you ladies talking about nutritional yeast....how much of that do you need a day? Do you really need it?

ETA: Also, I love coffee with creamer. What's a good non dairy creamer?

Last edited by sweet.hun; April 21st, 2011 at 09:45 AM.
April 21st, 2011, 12:38 PM
If you are not vegan, i believe you do not really need the nutritional yeast, I believe you get the B vitamins in eggs.

Spaghetti is easy to make so many variations! You can make your own "meat" balls or bean balls, as well as prepackaged ones, or even the Morningstar crumbles in the sauce for a meat sauce (DH's favorite way).

I eat a HUGE salad every day. I do add avocado for healthy fats, as my diet is pretty void of fat otherwise.

April 21st, 2011, 02:32 PM
What about mock meat? Do you eat it at all? I picked up some Smart Deli "ham" veggie slices and....I don't know what to think of it. It looks funky.

April 21st, 2011, 03:18 PM
I used to eat a Foney Balogney sandwich EVERY DAY for lunch, LOL, and the tofurkey ones are good too. You put enough mustard on it, it tastes fine j/k Vegan Dad has a make your own deli mock meat recipe that i have done many times, i would check that out.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search