Shopping List

Forum: Vegetarian Mommies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Vegetarian Mommies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 21st, 2011, 03:04 PM
sweet.hun's Avatar We're Complete <3
What is usually on your shopping list? How do you make sure you are getting a variety of meals without spending too much money??

What I'm struggling with right now is how much do I need to buy. I always have really.

Always missing my 3 angels. 2/9/06, 3/12/11, 5/22/12
April 21st, 2011, 03:20 PM
mgm78's Avatar Zoe's mom Meredith
Send a message via Yahoo to mgm78
We eat beans, they are super cheap!!! Lentils in EVERYTHING. I made the "snobby joes" from post punk kitchen's site the other day and they were AWESOME! i cannot wait to make them again tomorrow. Chickpeas go in everything too. Hummus is the best, i love the Sabra brand of hummus. I make wraps or just eat as dip. Barley and quinoa are used a lot too, and when bought in bulk, are really cheap (like the bulk bins in markets).

April 21st, 2011, 03:43 PM
I haven't mastered the art of making quinoa. I looooove Couscous though. LOL.

Today I bought:
Organic Bananas
Bartlet Pears
Salad
Raspberry and Walnut Vinaigrette
Smart Ground
Smart Cutlets
Whole Wheat Pasta
2 bags of frozen roasted red potatoes with different things mixed in (one has green beans, other has red and green bell peppers) and then a Stir Fry mix and a California blend veggie bag
Nutritional Yeast (I bought the nutty flavor kind....YUCK! Gonna see if I can return it for the cheesy flavor kind)
Silk Almondmilk Vanilla
Silk French Vanilla Creamer (so YUMMY in my coffee!)
Brown Sugar flavored Granola cereal
Veggie Cheese (not so sure I like this.....)
Miso Mayo (again, not so sure about it)
Organic Lemon Cookies (I HAVE DIED AND GONE TO HEAVEN!)

I'm going to make spaghetti tonight (when I mentioned it in my other thread I HAD to have some today) with the Smart Ground crumbles and the spaghetti sauce I already had in my pantry. Tomorrow I may make the Smart Cutlet for dinner with a side of rice and veggies. Is this sounding like a good start???

ETA: I already have black beans and chickpeas, which is why they weren't on my list of things I got today.

Last edited by sweet.hun; April 21st, 2011 at 03:52 PM.
April 21st, 2011, 04:57 PM
If you like the smart ground, try the Morningstar crumbles, even better! They are in the frozen aisle. I did not know nutritional yeast came in different flavors. here is great spaghetti recipe with it:
V e g a n D a d: Pasta Primavera
I would use quinoa in place of couscous in a recipe. here is an easy recipe:
Ridiculously Easy Curried Chickpeas and Quinoa | recipe from FatFree Vegan Kitchen

I do not think i ever had a smart cutlet. I have had their chicken tender things though and they were not bad, lemon pepper? i can often get coupons on line for them too. Printable ones.

Gardein is a new company that makes the AWESOMEST mock chicken tenders, omg! so yummy!

However, i am frugal and rarely buy that kind of stuff, but in the beginning, it definitely makes it easier.

As far as mayo, veganaise is the best, imo.

April 21st, 2011, 06:17 PM
So I made my spaghetti with the Smart Ground and I have to say, I can't tell the difference. It's really good!!!

April 22nd, 2011, 07:00 AM
awesome! i know DH (who eats meat) uses the Morningstar crumbles in everything from spaghetti sauce to tacos to sloppy joes to chili and swears you cannot taste the difference.

April 22nd, 2011, 09:47 AM
So when you are cooking for the family, do you make a separate meal for DH or does he eat what you make??

April 22nd, 2011, 12:33 PM
he eats what i make or fends for himself, lol! he eats very little meat at home.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search