Thinking about going vegetarian

Forum: Vegetarian Mommies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Vegetarian Mommies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 12th, 2011, 07:45 PM
MaggieLizer's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
So I was checking out the vegetarian times website and it got me thinking about going vegetarian but I'm not sure to what extent I would do it or if I even could. I think I could easily do the ovo-lacto-pescatarian route but I was reading about the benefits of eliminating dairy and eggs too and am thinking about doing that. I don't know if I could go without seafood, though.

I mentioned this to DH and he was ADAMANT about Vincent NOT being a vegetarian, so I guess I'll have to do some sort of flexatarian type diet for him. I thing a veg diet would really benefit him especially since he only has one kidney and because he's predisposed to obesity. But DH insists I have to feed him meat (he says at half of his meals at least ) and he's the most stubborn person I've ever met.

Anyway, I'm thinking about what kind of milk to start him on after we get him off formula and was planning on doing organic whole milk but I think now I want to try a non-dairy milk but don't know if rice, almond, or soy milk would be best. Any thoughts? I remember reading about the phytoestrogens in soy but I don't know much about it. Is too much soy bad for children (or anyone for that matter)? Would a vitamin D supplement be necessary once he's off formula (regardless of what kind of milk he's on)?

I'm sure I'll have lots of questions if I do decide to do this so you might hear more from me. Also any other general advice is welcome!

Last edited by MaggieLizer; May 12th, 2011 at 07:47 PM.
May 13th, 2011, 01:48 PM
spicymustard's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Hey there,

Why not start gradually eliminating the things you don't want out of your diet? It doesn't have to be all or nothing. When your dh isn't around maybe you can make more things that are veg. For him maybe once a week you can make a veg dinner to start out with. People who seem to think you NEED meat probably dont realize that you can be just as satisfied without it. One day instead of making hambergurers for dinner try substituting a boca or gardenburger or black bean burger for example. It's really so easy and so many options out there.

As for supplements, I never gave dd any. We use a variety of organic milk, soy, rice, and almond milk at my house.

Goveg.com might be a site you want to check out.

May 13th, 2011, 02:01 PM
MaggieLizer's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Thanks. I'll check out that website.

I don't think it'll be a huge transition for me since I really only usually eat meat when I have fast food or in frozen meals (although I've been eating a lot of Amy's lately and they're awesome). But I want to cut back on those things anyway. I'm already a fan of a lot of veg products and tofu. I don't think I could really eliminate dairy and eggs but I do want to try to cut back on them a lot or try different substitutes. DH and I eat separate food anyway because he is so picky and he rarely eats anything without meat. I wish I could make him realize he needs to eat healthier but that's not going to happen.

Turns out the milk question isn't up for debate, according to DH. He says DS will be on cows milk. But I will probably switch to organic soy milk for myself.

May 14th, 2011, 01:21 PM
mgm78's Avatar Zoe's mom Meredith
Send a message via Yahoo to mgm78
If he wants animal milk, i believe goat's milk is closer to human's milk than cow's milk, and I would try that first. Sorry your DH won't discuss things with you, but maybe he will come around. Before DD was born DH said she would not be a vegetarian but once she was born he said she would! would your DH read? have you seen FOod Inc? I believe you can watch it live on Netflix.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search