Hello, all!

Forum: Vegetarian Mommies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Vegetarian Mommies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 26th, 2011, 11:03 PM
1InSummerland's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hi. I am Laura (20) and DH is Gabriel (21). We are planning to start TTC in October and as a vegetarian, I am a little anxious about being pregnant and making sure I'm getting all the nutrients that a developing LO needs. Plus, DH and I haven't quite come to an agreement yet regarding how to raise our future LO's. He's not vegetarian and I made the decision to be when I was in high school. I don't want to force it upon my children, but I would like to teach them a healthy way of eating.

Thank you, Bokkechick, for my beautiful siggy.
Group Leader for Face2 Face Fort Lee and Richmond Area.
Check out my blog! :-) and my blog for Jude.

July 27th, 2011, 04:54 AM
mgm78's Avatar Zoe's mom Meredith
Send a message via Yahoo to mgm78
welcome! i had no issues while pregnant. I was, however, vegan when pregnant and started to eat dairy because with my food adversions, i was not eating enough, imo. I added cottage cheese and greek yogurt for protein. Otherwise, I took a vegan prenatal and a vegan DHA supplement.

As far as your LO, i am in that situation. I fought with DH over it, he is not veg, i have been veg FOREVER almost. We decided to raise her veg, but now that she is 2 years old, she starts to ask for what is on daddy's plate and we just tell her it is yucky. Before DD was born, DH said he would stop eating meat when she started food. THat obviously did not happen.

July 27th, 2011, 12:17 PM
spicymustard's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Being veg while pregnant is no issue at all. My OB didn't even bat an eyelash when I told him I was veg. He just said we would keep a watch on my iron. With dd I ended up having to take an iron supplement in the third trimester. With ds I never needed one at all.

My husband also eats meat but he agreed to raise our kids veg as long as I give them a choice when they are older if they want to eat meat while out. I thought it was a good compromise. When dd points to something with meat in it I just tell her there is dead animal in it and she never wants it anyways.

July 27th, 2011, 03:55 PM
1InSummerland's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Thanks for the insight, ladies.

I'm already trying to make a habit of taking vitamins every day to make sure I'm getting enough iron. Hopefully, since I'm a lacto-ovo vegetarian, there shouldn't be any issues. Plus, I've recently become virtually addicted to tempeh, so I should have no protein issues! I do have trouble gaining and maintaining weight, but I think that's a metabolism problem, not diet, as I've had that problem since before I chose to go veg. I'm just hoping it doesn't cause me to need any modifications to my diet, because meat makes me vomit.

Thank you, Bokkechick, for my beautiful siggy.
Group Leader for Face2 Face Fort Lee and Richmond Area.
Check out my blog! :-) and my blog for Jude.

July 27th, 2011, 05:43 PM
mgm78's Avatar Zoe's mom Meredith
Send a message via Yahoo to mgm78
no reasons to eat meat!

July 28th, 2011, 08:18 PM
miamor
my ob didn't care at all when i told him i was vegetarian...he just said we'll check your iron later on anyway and if there's a problem, we'll deal with it. when my iron test did come up, i had better levels than some of the meat eaters he deals with. just take your vitamins and keep eating healthy and you'll be fine.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search