do you think eating vegan or vegetarian costs you more money?

Forum: Vegetarian Mommies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Vegetarian Mommies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 8th, 2012, 04:40 PM
miamor
i think some ingredients are on the pricey side, but when compared to meat prices..i'm not sure.
since i buy organic, i think my grocery bill is typically more than the meat-eaters...that said, i think it also depends on where you shop.
February 8th, 2012, 05:55 PM
mgm78's Avatar Zoe's mom Meredith
Send a message via Yahoo to mgm78
no, not really, because we do not buy meat and tofu and beans are so cheap. I buy most of my produce at Costco. I think a meat eating family who ate a lot of produce would spend a lot more than us.

February 10th, 2012, 08:20 AM
Racine's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Meat and cheese were definitely our highest grocery expenses, because we were at a point where we were buying only local organic meat and cheese.

I know we do better in the summer months thanks to in-season produce, but overall I think being vegan helps us out. Food is a budget priority for us, though, so I don't really care if certain things cost more.

Thank you, Meganpixel, for my awesome siggy!

June 30th, 2012, 12:42 PM
myfavoriteshoes's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Skype™ to myfavoriteshoes
I found this great cookbook called Vegan On The Cheap and seriously it has saved my grocery bill. Theres tons of recipes to make basic food items/pantry stock on your own for cheap... most recipes under 1$/serving. I love it and they are pretty yummy too!

June 30th, 2012, 05:37 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Certainly not for me, we grow most of our fruits and veggies, so that is a huge cost cutter.

We also live about a 15min drive from an independent bulk buy supermarket that has an extensive vegetarian selection, so we are very lucky.
July 2nd, 2012, 08:40 AM
spicymustard's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I have no idea since I always skip the meat aisle.

I think we are lucky in California because I have noticed that produce is cheaper here than other places. We also have a fruit farm around here than we go to that has cheap prices. In our last house we had over 15 fruit trees and we are currently in the process of planting them here so that helps too. Fruit is easy to grow and care for here.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search