Transitioning vegan/dairy free mom looking for advice.

Forum: Vegetarian Mommies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Vegetarian Mommies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 3rd, 2012, 05:00 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Hi all,
My name is Alissa and I am a member of the December 11 PR. I started transitioning into a mostly dairy free diet about a couple of months ago because I thought DD was having a reaction to it, although to this day I am not certain. I started doing research on dairy and just did not like what I was reading. Though I am transitioning slowly, I am considering going completely vegan, but I am worried about how to adequately nourish DD as a growing baby and eventually, toddler, child, etc. We are currently ebfing, but she does eventually have to make the transition to solid foods I hope I can get to know you all and would welcome any advice for an easier transition and healthy vegan baby. If this seems disjointed and flat, forgive me as I am typing with one hand
June 3rd, 2012, 05:23 PM
mgm78's Avatar Zoe's mom Meredith
Send a message via Yahoo to mgm78
Hi and welcome. DD is mostly vegan, though she goes to a vegetarian school and does eat yogurt and some cheese sprinkled on her pasta, etc.

Instead of cow's milk we gave her unsweetened plain organic Silk soy milk in her sippy after 1, though i did continue to pump for her at work until 19 months. We do alternative yogurts (like almond, coconut, or soy milk) and i sometimes put a little flax oil in them to give her some more fat. I do give her nutritional yeast in food and on popcorn, etc, for B vitamins and she does get a chewable vegan multi for kids.

have you seen forks over knives? (it is streaming on netflix if you have the service) that made me go back to vegan.

June 3rd, 2012, 08:22 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Thanks so much And congrats on your extended breastfeeding. I just made it to six months and I thought that was a long time I will definitely watch it!! I'm reading "Main Street Vegan" right now and I love it. It's kind of like a "Vegan for dummies" guide
June 4th, 2012, 05:32 AM
Yes, watch it it talks about health consequences of eating meat and dairy and all the research behind it.

June 4th, 2012, 07:47 AM
Mega Super Mommy
OMG I watched it last night and it was just appalling what we Americans put our bodies through. I've never been huge on eating lots of fatty foods, but I definitely eat (or ate? lol it's a process. I'm on day 2.) meat and it's amazing what's in it that we seem to be ignoring.
June 4th, 2012, 01:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by VikingMamma View Post
OMG I watched it last night and it was just appalling what we Americans put our bodies through. I've never been huge on eating lots of fatty foods, but I definitely eat (or ate? lol it's a process. I'm on day 2.) meat and it's amazing what's in it that we seem to be ignoring.
glad you got to see it

June 30th, 2012, 09:49 AM
myfavoriteshoes's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Skype™ to myfavoriteshoes
Forks Over Knives is what triggered my "throw everything that is dairy/eggs/meat into the garbage" back in December. We've been vegan since January and I don't miss anything of my past food diet. It was gross! I wasn't feeling healthy.

And hey, by the way, welcome aboard! You definitely stumbled upon the right place. If you have any questions at all, feel free to ask around. We don't bite! (no pun intended lol)

July 2nd, 2012, 07:43 AM
spicymustard's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm hooked up to my dads Netflix right now so I might have to watch forks over knives.

We are not vegan but wanted to wish you good luck with that transition. I know we eat too much dairy and it's a constant battle for me to try to reduce the amounts we eat.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search