Dr McDougall's response to the popular Paleo diet

Forum: Vegetarian Mommies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Vegetarian Mommies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 30th, 2012, 11:58 AM
mgm78's Avatar Zoe's mom Meredith
Send a message via Yahoo to mgm78
really good read! McDougall Newsletter: June 2012 - The Paleo Diet is Uncivilized (And Unhealthy and Untrue) a lot of my friends are into the Paleo diet and swear by it. meh.

June 30th, 2012, 04:33 PM
Mega Super Mommy
One of my colleagues is on it and unfortunately for me, regardless of whatever her new 'fad' is, she's always so preachy about it. There has been atkins, weight watchers, the Huey diet was the WORST (this was an Australian thing that one of our TV chefs put out in the late 90's, he is morbidly obese so I don't know what qualified him to make a diet book, but he did) The Biggest Loser diet book, lite n easy, meal replacement shakes, you name it, she has done it.

She is a lovely girl, but if she just thought about her weight situation for a moment and, I don't know, walked to work seeing as she lives a 10min walk away instead of driving, and ate a balanced diet instead of putting her body through hell with all this fad nonsense, she would probably be much better off.

Anyway, the Paleo diet is her current one and like I said before, she is preachy, and she likes to 'educate' people on where they are going wrong with their eating in line with her current fad, and in the most recent lecture I received from her, I was eating some left over soup for lunch and got an earful about lentils, pasta and corn. She was eating hard boiled eggs and a handful of almonds. She also showed me the "good foods pyramid" which had meat and fish down the bottom as "consume with every meal" and vegetables up the top as a "consume least often" she told me she has one serve of veggies a day, and no fruits because they are too high in sugar. Which then led into a second lecture because I was eating a banana in the afternoon and she noticed that I ate a mandarin in the morning and that was two servings of high-sugar fruits.

I honestly believe that these fad diets are worth absolutely nothing. If you make sure you are getting all your vitamins and nutrients, lay off the highly processed stuff, and boxed items with ingredients that cannot be pronounced nor identified, or have numbers in them and exercise, then that's going to be better than any passing fad, it is also easier to sustain in the long term.
June 30th, 2012, 05:31 PM
I grew up with a mother who was on every fad diet that came out, she is morbidly obese. how did that all work for her?

give this article to your coworker

I first ran marathons for a charity and we were selling pretzels to raise funds for the charity and it was the height of the Atkins/no carb fad and people actually would tell us it was so unhealthy and just wrong to sell the pretzels to raise money for the AHA (American Heart Assoc). Um, nothing unhealthy about eating ONE pretzel, eating plates of bacon on the other hand......

July 1st, 2012, 06:34 PM
spicymustard's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Good article. I'm so lucky to live by one of the blue zones.

It seems that the paleo diet is especially popular with athletes. I saw a good post about it a few months ago on no meat athlete.

July 2nd, 2012, 04:42 AM
um, spicy, congrats on your pregnancy!!!

July 2nd, 2012, 07:36 AM
spicymustard's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Thanks. We didn't do it on purpose. I'm scared having the younger 2 only 23-24 months apart.

August 2nd, 2012, 05:34 PM
Veteran
I didn't read the article but anyone I have met that follows the paleo diet has been a complete tool. Yeah I know that not everyone on the diet is like that, I just have bad luck with finding them. And I hate people that are self righteous about their diets and feel superior to others. I'm also a bit bitter about the diet because when I did visit the page to see what it was about, there was an article blaming women for getting GD. I was just diagnosed and I ran from the computer crying and nearly suffered from an eating disorder at 6 months pregnant.

This is what I don't understand about the paleo diet. What era of the paleolithic time are they talking about? What region? What culture?

That and paleo people did not exactly choose what to eat. They had to be opportunist. They could be eating anything from small rodents, to grass clippings to tree bark to fruits and vegetables. It wasn't like they were all going out and killing mammoths! In fact, because doing so would be dangerous, and that they didn't exactly have modern medicine, they mostly likely never did.

Also, if they truly wanted to eat what the cavemen ate, then they have to get rid of broccoli, cauliflower, kale, lettuce, and bananas because all those crops were developed by humans during the agricultural revolution. (And there are others)

There are a few primitive tribes left in the world in South America, Africa, and in parts of Asia. I would look at what they eat. Some of them have quite brutal practices and as a woman I would not want to live like that!

Last edited by Rinchan; August 2nd, 2012 at 05:37 PM.
August 3rd, 2012, 05:20 AM
yep

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search