Having problems...

Forum: Vegetarian Mommies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By mgm78

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Vegetarian Mommies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 10th, 2012, 10:31 AM
Veteran
Ok I am trying to make my shopping list for two weeks.So I have to make meal plans...I've been working on it.Breakfast went easy.When It comes to lunch and dinner,its more complicated.I am use to working my meal around meat.Now I am at a loss.Do I just do couple of like sides with bread...this is a little harder than I thought.I also realized there is a lot of vegan meals that is really fattening also trying not to get that either.Any ideas of what I should look for to base my meal around..also what are the main ingredients that you keep in your house .Thanks
:mommyDeAnna 7/28 Whitney 4/7 Naomi 6/24 Katerina 1/27 Gracie 5/25 Magdalina 6/8Berachiah 6/8 Peter 2/20 Deanna 19,whitney 15,Naomi 13,Katerina 8,Gracie 7,Magdalina 5,Berachiah 3,Peter 4 months and counting.
July 10th, 2012, 01:05 PM
myfavoriteshoes's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Skype™ to myfavoriteshoes
Well, its really easy. Just make sure for every meal you have some sort of protein, veggie, fruit, grain and dairy substitute.

This sums it up well:

So to answer your question, if you wanna replace the meat part of your meal, do it with some sort of protein...
Protein in the Vegan Diet -- The Vegetarian Resource Group

In my house, we usually have tofu, seitan, beans, nut butters (peanut or almond, mostly) and some dairy-free yogurt or cheese as protein.

Also, if you combine grains and beans in the same meal, that is equal to a complete protein, as you would get from meat.
Building Complete Proteins from Nuts, Grains and Legumes / Nutrition / Proteins

EDIT: Oh, its even easier if you are just going vegetarian and still eat eggs and dairy. You have protein there too!

Last edited by myfavoriteshoes; July 10th, 2012 at 01:13 PM.
July 10th, 2012, 03:39 PM
Veteran
Well I know it sounds like I am air headed or something lol...I have a lot of recipes and I don't know what to put for main or side ya know..lol...They all look like sides to me I guess.lol. I got most of my list done.Its just so new to us but I am very excited and wondering what a meal would be like in your house.Thanx
:mommyDeAnna 7/28 Whitney 4/7 Naomi 6/24 Katerina 1/27 Gracie 5/25 Magdalina 6/8Berachiah 6/8 Peter 2/20 Deanna 19,whitney 15,Naomi 13,Katerina 8,Gracie 7,Magdalina 5,Berachiah 3,Peter 4 months and counting.
July 10th, 2012, 05:14 PM
mgm78's Avatar Zoe's mom Meredith
Send a message via Yahoo to mgm78
I make most of my recipes from fat free vegan's blog and those are healthy and not fatty. you can have a protein and sides, like you would with meat (like baked tofu, sauteed seitan, bean dish, etc) or you can do a mixed meal, like black bean enchiladas, rice and beans, a casserole, vegetarian bean chili, etc. You can do a lot of sandwiches like hummus wraps, chickpea "tuna" salad, etc. Also check out Happy Herbivore, she has a lot of healthy recipes. She has a really easy tempeh loaf (like a vegetarian meat loaf) that is good and a good centerpiece for the meal. I like making loaves, they are easy, nutritious, cheap, and feed us for several meals.
myfavoriteshoes likes this.

July 11th, 2012, 06:08 AM
myfavoriteshoes's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Skype™ to myfavoriteshoes
That reminds me, I need to make a new seitan loaf for a slow-cooker roast in a few days. Mmm!

July 15th, 2012, 07:24 AM
spicymustard's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Like the others said just build your meal around a protien. Stir fry with tofu and veggies, chili, beans and rice, lentil soup, etc. this gets much easier with time.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search