Need some advice

Forum: Vegetarian Mommies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By mgm78
  • 1 Post By cybele
  • 1 Post By miamor

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Vegetarian Mommies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 29th, 2012, 09:36 PM
Veteran
This might be a hard one.

I would like to give my family a more vegetarian diet. Maybe save meat for only once or twice a week and only poultry or fish. I could happily be a pescetarian for the rest of my life.

However, there is one thing that is a bit tricky. My husband is a very picky eater and doesn't like any vegetables. Well he likes corn and potatoes, not the healthiest, and green beans from KFC. I've tried to get him to try vegetables, but he often gags on them because of the taste. I know I could just make meals for me and the kids, but then he would just get the greasiest and grossest stuff that was common in college and I would like him to be around when I get old. And yeah I know that if I went vegetarian and he retained his diet that it doesn't necessarily mean that i'll live longer.

Finding a protien substitute will also be difficult. Here are the things he will not eat.
Vegetables except for the ones listed above (Though he'll eat spaghetti sauce)
beans
lentils
I don't think he will try soy

He does like almonds and peanuts. He likes fruit but its hard to get him to eat it. His parents raise chickens as a hobby and we get eggs from them. I don't think I can get away with cutting out milk.

Any recipe ideas that might hide the vegetable taste? Or any other ideas where we can eat vegearian several times a week that only include the vegetables as a side but still might be healthy?

Last edited by Rinchan; July 29th, 2012 at 09:43 PM.
July 30th, 2012, 05:10 AM
mgm78's Avatar Zoe's mom Meredith
Send a message via Yahoo to mgm78
has he really ever eaten those things he claims he won't eat?

I am thinking you could do lasagna easily and you can easily hid tofu ricotta in there, especially if you mixed it with cheese. have you ever tried the Morningstar Crumbles? they are in the frozen aisle in a green bag, they taste like ground meat in recipes like meat sauce, sloppy joes, tacos, chili, etc.

We rarely eat meat substitutes, but that may be a good starting point for your husband. I find the morningstar crumbles and some of the sausages out there are the best in terms of tasting like the real deal.

no beans, no veggies, no soy, that is pretty limited!!!

here is a peanuty noodle salad
Reci”peas” : Peas and Thank You

i really am going to have to think on recipes that exclude all those things and are a good meal for your family. what about refried beans?
Rinchan likes this.

August 1st, 2012, 12:05 AM
Veteran
Yes sadly my husband eats like a young child. If he wasn't married to me I can't imagine what he would be eating. He loves mac and cheese, chicken fingers, french fries, hot dogs. That and he and his co workers go out to eat way too much.

I sometimes wonder how he was fed as a child. He's not over weight at all and is quite thin, but that doesn't necessarily mean healthy. Cooking meals is seriously the most stressful event of the day because there is so little he will eat.

He does try things and he tends to gag if he doesn't like the taste. I try to blend in vegetables but if I tell him that they are in the food, he'll manage to taste them. If I don't tell him until after he eats it, he gets all upset for tricking him. I literally dread dinner time.
August 1st, 2012, 09:23 AM
Wow. Did you tell him he needs to put on his big boy pants? LOL!! I make my food and DH can eat it or fend for himself, this is how i handle it in our home. I love to cook and over the years, DH has become mostly vegetarian (atleast at home) and will eat a good amount of what i make. DD eats almost everything but her school is also a little hippy school and they feed them all organic and vegetarian-- bean casseroles, bean and veggie soups, millet and veggies, etc.

August 1st, 2012, 02:06 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Honestly, I would just serve it up for him and too bad if he doesn't like it. He's a bit too old to be doing the "vegetables are icky" thing.
myfavoriteshoes likes this.
August 1st, 2012, 05:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybele View Post
Honestly, I would just serve it up for him and too bad if he doesn't like it. He's a bit too old to be doing the "vegetables are icky" thing.
YES!!!!!!! sorry.

August 2nd, 2012, 07:07 AM
miamor
have you looked at the book deceptively delicious? she hides vegetables in meals...it's not a vegetarian book, so you may find ways to hide veggies in his food.
Rinchan likes this.
August 2nd, 2012, 10:09 AM
Veteran
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamor View Post
have you looked at the book deceptively delicious? she hides vegetables in meals...it's not a vegetarian book, so you may find ways to hide veggies in his food.
I'll have to look into that! That may help to ease him more towards vegetarian meals!

Sometimes I do want to say "Screw it! Make your own food!" But currently, I'm unemployed and he works long hours. So I kind of feel like I should prepare meals for us because I'm practically living off of him. The company that I worked for shut down in may and tomorrow I'll be nine months pregnant so it will be a while before I find another job. If we were both working, I would just say "screw it get your own food!"
August 3rd, 2012, 05:21 AM
meh i would still say eat it or make your own. its not like you are not making any food.

August 3rd, 2012, 11:27 AM
Veteran
Lol yeah I wake up at around 3 am every night craving ice cream or these vegan cookies I bought. It's annoying and I do sometimes give in. As soon as I was diagnosed I started to crave sweets nearly every day when before I was more of a salty person.
August 3rd, 2012, 11:54 AM
myfavoriteshoes's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Skype™ to myfavoriteshoes
I am craving sweets like crazy lately, too. I dunno if its the point of pregnancy where I just wanna eat eat eat whatever I feel like, or if its due to the fact that now I know I have GD. Anyway, I want cookies! Preferably a whole box of Oreos haha (they are vegan!)

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search