cravings while pregnant

Forum: Vegetarian Mommies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By mgm78

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Vegetarian Mommies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 27th, 2012, 06:25 PM
Super Mommy to be
I'm 98% vegan (I know technically I'm not vegan if not 100%) ....... I don't eat meat (chicken, pork, lamb, beef etc) and have stopped fish recently too since it hurts my stomach when I do try it but I still eat some seafood. I don't eat cheese, dairy etc...Am mostly plant based.... I'm not preggers yet but still have 8 days to go to my next expected AF to find out for sure.

Just wondering if any of you had any big urges to eat meat after becoming pregnant? I read about crazy craving and really hope I don't go crazy with the cravings.........what did you crave?

Also I was told if I was going to still stay away from dairy chew some tums since they are a good source of calcium. What did a typical meal plan a day look like for you? Ex. lentil loaf, tofu this or that, seitan something, soup? salads?

Thanks for your responses.
Hebrews 11:1
Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see.
Romans 8:28
And we know that all things work together for good to those who love God, to those who are the called according to His purpose.
'Blessings' by Laura Story (What if trials of this life, are your mercies in disguise)
Glorious Ruins

Last edited by left_field; January 1st, 2013 at 08:35 PM.
December 28th, 2012, 12:25 AM
Lucy S.'s Avatar POAS addict
I did have cravings but none were meat...
Most cravings are because something is lacking and it's not always what you are actually craving.
You should be taking a solid prenatal vitamin and that should cover your calcium. And so many things are fortified too- like I drink almond milk. In fact I have too much B12 so I pulled back on supplementing as much.

What are you eating now? It shouldn't have to change if it is balanced once you are pg. I try my best to not eat too much soy and will be even more strict once I get pg.
Due with #3
10 IUIs= one confirmed /IVF= BFN / FET= / FET2= Baby!
My blog

December 28th, 2012, 05:16 AM
Super Mommy to be
Thanks. I'm on materna right now. My meals typically are something with beans or lentils (loaves, meatballs), falafel, or seitan, stirfrys etc with tofu, I cook quinoa occasionally, a lot of beans and rice, and veges on the side or a BIG salad.....oh I do soups too.... I add nutritional yeast flakes and flax meal to a lot of stuff ... I make hummus for snacks........... I used to take the sublingual b12 drops but haven't since starting materna.... I will admit (not proud) that in makin things for my visiting family we have eaten things with mayo in it because I ran out of veganaise...I have to make my own sometimes as where I live I can't easily get veganaise.....as far as calcium goes I eat a lot of veges and greens but not so much soy milk or almond milk but am taking the materna so....... but the nurse at my doctors office who is a very close friend suggested chewing the tums sometimes for more calcium....

PS.... for those interested vegandad blog is great to get recipes from..try cajun chickpea cakes! and also holiday vegan cookbook is great and Chef Choloe's cookbook is great!!
And we know that all things work together for good to those who love God, to those who are the called according to His purpose.
'Blessings' by Laura Story (What if trials of this life, are your mercies in disguise)
Glorious Ruins
December 28th, 2012, 12:34 PM
cheerfulsunrise's Avatar Super Mommy
I was vegan before becoming pregnant, and after about 3 weeks or so, I caved and added dairy back into my diet. For some reason I was really turned off my my normal vegan foods. I have been satisfied for the most part by just adding dairy back. Hopefully after the baby is born, I will be able to go vegan again at some point.

December 28th, 2012, 02:57 PM
mgm78's Avatar Zoe's mom Meredith
Send a message via Yahoo to mgm78
I was vegan and when pregnant craved cottage cheese and ate it. I am 99% vegan now. Basically we are vegan at home and if we go out to a friend's house or something, i am not going to go crazy if there is not 100% vegan food. They try!

I basically craved tater tots. And toast.
myfavoriteshoes likes this.

December 28th, 2012, 03:51 PM
Super Mommy to be
Thanks guys. Glad you understood my position when I said I was 98% vegan, LOL! My concern is because of where I live and limited access things if my baby can be vegan?! It's doubtful but it upsets me because I know the cons of meat and dairy and it will be heavy on my mind if I have to resort to it....But I will have to say like I have been saying 'I can only do my best and I do better than I used to so yay for me and hubby!'.................. and as one of you posted above, if we go out we aren't anal about mayo in something of dairy butter but we won't eat meat........ thanks for hearing me out.
Glorious Ruins
December 28th, 2012, 07:15 PM
I am not sure what I will do with my baby.
My boys are only vegetarian and I am just nervous with their poor eating habits to have them be vegan. Only the older has asked tho.
Due with #3
My blog

December 29th, 2012, 03:59 AM
My kid is vegan at home, not sure what the issues would be? We eat a lot of beans, she nursed until almost three and drinks soy or almond milk. We get dairy alternatives for yogurt and ice cream and cheese. She eats tofu, seitan, hummus, tofu dogs, veggie burgers, etc.

December 29th, 2012, 06:08 AM
Super Mommy to be
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgm78 View Post
My kid is vegan at home, not sure what the issues would be? We eat a lot of beans, she nursed until almost three and drinks soy or almond milk. We get dairy alternatives for yogurt and ice cream and cheese. She eats tofu, seitan, hummus, tofu dogs, veggie burgers, etc.
mgm78, that is a good idea too....simply at home still be vegan as much as possible and if we go out or they are invited to a party oh well! I have been begging our local grocery store to order Almond Dream or So Delicious icecream....

I'm hoping I'll be able to breast feed too...
Glorious Ruins
December 29th, 2012, 03:24 PM
With so much soy out there and not having them 100% of the time (they are their dad's on 3 weekends) I worry about phytoestrogens (esp with boys).
We also do 100% of the time vegan-ism whether at home or out and the boys are the same with their vegetarianism, so I don't think they would go for one way here and another elsewhere (especially since we do it for ethical reasons and we don't do exceptions).
Just one less worry for me I think I worry A LOT LOL!
I figure when they get older they can make the choice
Due with #3
My blog

December 30th, 2012, 05:30 AM
the soy is fine. the only research they have done that showed any concern was more when the male child was in utero, not post birth. There are so many options besides soy, almond, coconut, rice milks, etc. We get almond milk puddings and yogurts too. otherwise, the soy should not be too much of an issue.

December 30th, 2012, 03:58 PM
I have read so much and often times I am torn as what to believe. It depends on the source, possible benefit either way to sway an on so on.
So just as with everything regarding parenting, I go with my gut.

And while I don't think soy is a bad thing, I can't ignore the fact that it is used for things such as encouraging ovulation and helping menopausal women. The idea that a food creates enough power to alter our hormones is enough to make me take a step back. And I know other foods in higher concentration have powerful effects on our bodies, even the carnivore diet is bombarded with soy. It is in so much as is corn. And if i could have complete control of their diets I would try it with them. My ex doesn't follow my beliefs that too much of a good thing isn't. If the boys could, they would live off soy chicken nuggets and soy milk. I can't control their food there. Not to mention when they are with my folks once a week or with other friends or family. We homeschool so i don't have to worry about that, but they have pretty active social lives LOL! And luckily everyone respects the vegetarianism but my sister is a die hard carnivore that loves soy chicken nuggets or soy boca as a go to when the kids are there LOL!

So our compromise is a fully vegetarian diet while eating mostly vegan with me since that's all we eat.
Due with #3
My blog

December 31st, 2012, 04:37 AM
Have you tried the Quorn nuggets? they are not soy.

Hormone therapy is high doses of hormones. I work in healthcare and mostly with women TTC. Eating tofu is not going to really affect your hormones, HOWEVER, processed food is full of soy and milk byproducts and the overexposure is not good, though processed food is not good for anyone and one theory on the prevelance of food allergies. We eat almost no processed foods, except DD eats smart dogs and crackers. In countries with very high soy consumption, you do not see any issues with fertility or reproduction due to the soy consumption. but everything in moderation. We balance what we eat and make soy one of the may things in our diet, not the focus. We eat a lot of beans for protein and beans and whole grains are a complete protein, so we try to focus on that. And it is cheaper. Instead of all soy milk, we drink almond milk as well. We get coconut milk ice cream and rice milk yogurt and puddings if we buy those things for DD. Living in the US, and you are in CA, you should have a wide selection of these non-soy options available to you and your family.

December 31st, 2012, 02:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgm78 View Post
Have you tried the Quorn nuggets? they are not soy.
I used to love those but last I checked they weren't vegan so I haven't bought them in forever... I normally shop at Trader Joes because I live in a smaller town in the bay area and our grocery stores suck :/ Although they do carry Quorn!
I get up to Whole Foods about 2x a month if I can and they have more selection but more expensive.

Gonna go check and see if they changed the Quorn ingredients!
Due with #3
My blog

December 31st, 2012, 03:56 PM
the nuggets are not vegan, but if you are looking for soy substitute. The quorn burgers are vegan. Happy herbivore has chickpea nugget recipe.

January 3rd, 2013, 09:42 AM
miamor
i cant say i craved any meat while pregnant. the one thing i craved like crazy tho was giardiniera mix and the first trimester i craved natural grapefruit soda.
i developed a serious aversion to garlic and still cant eat too much garlic in my food. i used to cook with it like crazy, but now i barely buy it.
there was a lady in my due date club who was "vegetarian" but then went out and ate arbys because she was craving meat. weird. call me crazy, but i wouldn't exactly be reaching out for arbys if i had a meat craving!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search