cook books...

Forum: Vegetarian Mommies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Vegetarian Mommies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 23rd, 2013, 08:40 AM
miamor
ok, i just ordered the "everyday happy herbivore" and i ordered a vegan slow cooker recipe book. i'm hoping these will help me create fast/low effort low fat meals. i've been preparing more vegan dinners since i'm trying to eat lower fat.
i'm trying to find things i can cook in 30mins on weeknights, or things i can put in the slow cooker and have it cook itself. i just hope carlos eats some of this stuff...i never thought feeing him would be such a struggle...

do you have any go-to cook books or websites with easy meals? i'm tried of those recipes that have like 40 ingredients!!!
February 23rd, 2013, 02:49 PM
mgm78's Avatar Zoe's mom Meredith
Send a message via Yahoo to mgm78
The Happy Herbivore is what I would have recommended I did not really care for any slow cooker books, nothing really appealed to me i will be interested to see what you think. Happy herbivore, I have made sooooo many of her recipes. I have all her books and her first two i would highly recommend, the third (abroad) i would not. I also find a lot of the fat free vegan recipes easy and tasty. Get your butt on pinterest!!! make a dummy twitter PLEASE!!!

February 26th, 2013, 03:13 PM
miamor
books arrived! A LOT of the stuff in the happy herbivore book looks great and i plan on trying it out. i'm going to see if there'a anything i can make this week.
i'll have to figure out this twitter thing!
February 26th, 2013, 03:20 PM
miamor
omg, i signed up but now it's telling me i need to follow 5 random a** people i dont know in order to continue???
February 27th, 2013, 03:55 AM
My user name is merigayle, find me!!!

There are so many super easy recipes. There is a tempeh loaf, where you grate tempeh, and i usually add grated carrot to it as well. Super duper easy. That may be dinner tonight

February 27th, 2013, 06:29 AM
miamor
ok i'm gonna follow you as soon as i figure out what the heck i'm doing. i'm totally useless with all of this stuff since i use 0 of these social media things. i'm not hip to any of this
February 27th, 2013, 12:32 PM
miamor
ok, i got everyday happy herbivore not happy herbivore. do you have both?
February 28th, 2013, 04:37 AM
yes, i think everyday is the 30 min or less one, right? both are really good!

February 28th, 2013, 09:09 AM
miamor
man, your pinterest looks so organized and pretty. i still dont know what i would do with it...i guess i'll just use it to look at your recipes. i dont know what i would create boards for or whatever. i'm totally boring.
February 28th, 2013, 10:39 AM
You could start with recipes LOL!!!!

HA! just looked and saw your user name

February 28th, 2013, 04:44 PM
miamor
ha...yah. they asked for my last name and i totally dont do that on things that are so public and searchable.

anyway, i made the kidney bean/quinoa burgers out of the everyday happy herbivore book today. they were good,i just think they may have been better with an oil/more moisture. i know they're supposed to be lower fat tho.

my husband doesn't appear to be a fan of the vegan cooking so far. he said he doesn't like that they try to emulate meat things and they never taste right, yadda yadda.
March 1st, 2013, 04:30 AM
none of my meals emulate meat. a bean and quinoa burger is not trying to be a hamburger, just a bean and quinoa patty. i do feel like a lot of recipes i need to adjust seasonings, usually increase.

March 1st, 2013, 06:22 AM
miamor
that's how i see it too, it's supposed to be a bean patty or whatever, not a hamburger...he likes the stews and soups and salads, but he hasn't been a big fan or whenever i make a patty or loaf..i always ask him to rate them and he gives them like a 4 or 5. he says it's basically just "something to eat". how awful!!
i think he's just missing cheese and the eggs!!!
he's never complained about the vegetarian cooking. he's been eating vegetarian with me since 2002. (tho he still eats meat out places)
March 1st, 2013, 03:14 PM
keep me posted on what you make.

March 1st, 2013, 03:58 PM
miamor
i saw a salad with rainbow chard on something you were following on pinterest and the organic rainbow chard was three bunches for 5$ today at whole foods and it looks GORGEOUS so i picked some up, now i have to look through and find it again. i guess i should PINNED IT!!! i'm learning!!
March 2nd, 2013, 03:11 PM
Yeah! Once you figure out pinterest, it is all over from there I am so addicted.

I made the Happy Herbivore Hippie loaf tonight, YUM!!! I used white beans, because that is what i had, no flour, a tiny bit of diced tofu and i adjusted seasonings (probably doubled) to taste. IT was delicious, it did not hold together (prob because no flour and i forgot to mash the beans) but was just as tasty.

March 3rd, 2013, 04:28 AM
was the slow cooker book by kathy hester?

March 4th, 2013, 08:19 AM
miamor
no, it's robin robertson, she had a vegetarian slow cooker book too. this book seems a bit boring and weird to me. some of the desserts look promising and the breakfast. but some of the other stuff just seems like side items to me and not exactly hearty meals. she does have a few things that involve grains and makes things more complete meals. i guess we'll see how things taste out of it.she's got some pumpkin quinoa breakfast recipe that looks interesting.
March 5th, 2013, 04:26 AM
Yeah, nothing really appealed to me. There is one breakfast recipe i may make over the weekend, but that was it.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search