Your Fav Meat-substitues brands?

Forum: Vegetarian Mommies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Vegetarian Mommies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 20th, 2005, 12:20 AM
Super Mommy
And specific products w/ in those brands if you want to list them.

Quorn- breaded chicken fillets, hot dogs (th eonly faux meat hot dogs my hubby likes (loves), chicken tenders (actually pieces), sausage links, and ground beef.

Veggi Deli- Awesome Teriyaki jerky!

Yves-Great faux bacon (more like canadian bacon) and good faux pepperoni!

Veggie Patch-Chicken nuggest (pretty danred good actually)

Nates-Meatless meatballs

Boca-Sausages (Italian, Bratwurst, and Smoked...all yummy) Just read Boca is owned by KRAFT!!!!! Of all companies AKA Phillip Morris! Shalt not buy Boca again clealry!
April 20th, 2005, 07:44 AM
Lilah's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Morningstar Farms Chik Patties
Morningstar Farms Breakfast Strips (my favorite and so far only type of fake bacon I will eat)
Boca Burgers
Morningstar Farms Grillers
Yves Bologna

April 20th, 2005, 10:14 PM
RandomRobot's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quorn, pieces, sausages, burgers
Dalepack, beanburgers, cauliflower cheese grills
Beanfeast spag bol mix
Tesco own brand vegeburgers/sausages

I Tried the Linda McCartney Meatless dishes and they were horrible!
April 20th, 2005, 10:44 PM
Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally posted by scattymum@Apr 20 2005, 10:14 PM
Quorn, pieces, sausages, burgers
Dalepack, beanburgers, cauliflower cheese grills
Beanfeast spag bol mix
Tesco own brand vegeburgers/sausages

I Tried the Linda McCartney Meatless dishes and they were horrible!
<div align="right"><{POST_SNAPBACK}>
[/quote]
I have always wondered how the Linda McCartney dishes tasted...guess I shall not try for myself!
April 21st, 2005, 12:09 PM
Eden's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I find Quorn to be a bit weird for me. I haven't found any meat substitutes that I actually like, so I tend to stay away from these.
Which one food would you recommend to regular meat eaters?
April 21st, 2005, 01:24 PM
Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally posted by Eden@Apr 21 2005, 12:09 PM
I find Quorn to be a bit weird for me. I haven't found any meat substitutes that I actually like, so I tend to stay away from these.
Which one food would you recommend to regular meat eaters?
[/quote]
What didn't you like about Quron brand and which products did you try of theirs?
Quorn is actually what I have recommended to my meat eating friends and served them and they are always shocked at how good it taste w/ out my even doing much to it and at the texture. I made a killer "chicken" Parmesan w/ the breaded fillets for a recent event at my hubbies work. No one knew who brought it and no one knew it wasn't chicken! After the dish was emptied I told those who ate it and the floored looks I got! It was fabulous!
April 21st, 2005, 03:51 PM
Veteran
Money s mushroom burgers are great as well as President's choice (I think they
are the same)
Our compliments Veggie burgers are also good
I like Yves baloney but not their burgers
Amy's organic pizza is good too.
April 21st, 2005, 04:00 PM
I haven't tried it, because of the concerns shared by friends of mine about it's processing.
Some people have a negative reaction to it. http://www.pccnaturalmarkets.com/health/Ne...003_10_23_2.htm and http://www.foodnavigator.com/news/news-ng....-quorn-a-fungus although people may theoretically respond negatively to any food.

I have no doubt that it may be tastey, and it is high in protein. But I haven't tried it. I've tried Boca and Morningstar farms. I'll try Yves next time.
April 21st, 2005, 05:25 PM
Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally posted by Eden@Apr 21 2005, 04:00 PM
I haven't tried it, because of the concerns shared by friends of mine about it's processing.
Some people have a negative reaction to it.* http://www.pccnaturalmarkets.com/health/Ne...003_10_23_2.htm and* http://www.foodnavigator.com/news/news-ng....-quorn-a-fungus although people may theoretically respond negatively to any food.

I have no doubt that it may be tastey, and it is high in protein. But I haven't tried it.* I've tried Boca and Morningstar farms. I'll try Yves next time.
[/quote]
Wow! I had never heard of any issues w/ Quorn brand before! Shocking! Hubb I and anyone else that I knwo who's had it has had zero issues luckily. It's the best meat substitute for things like chicken, ground beef, and hot dogs we have found. Used to eat Veat brand faux chicken until I discovered Quorn. Veat was decent texture wise and really good for stir fry's, but had zero flavor by it self and until we tasted Quorn we were fine w/ Veat. Veat was prompty eliminated from our diets once we discovered Quorn brand though.
April 21st, 2005, 05:39 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by veggirocks@Apr 21 2005, 07:25 PM
It's the best meat substitute for things like chicken, ground beef, and hot dogs we have found.*
[/quote]
I have no doubt that's the case. I've heard that it's really yummy.
April 21st, 2005, 07:18 PM
Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally posted by Eden+Apr 21 2005, 05:39 PM-->
Quote:
<!--QuoteBegin-veggirocks
Quote:
@Apr 21 2005, 07:25 PM

It's the best meat substitute for things like chicken, ground beef, and hot dogs we have found.*
I have no doubt that's the case. I've heard that it's really yummy.
<div align="right"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
[/b][/quote]
If you end up not trying Quorn, but are looking for a decent faux chicken to use in cooking then try Veat. They have chicken pieces which are good for things like stir frys and such and breast fillets which are good in sandwhices and cutting into strips. They have a faux fish fillet which tastes noting like fish, but it does have a good flavor on it's own and is great when making an Asian influenced dishes. I'd recommend Boca sausages, but no longer since I discovered they are owned by Philip Morris. Need another good source for seasoned sausages now
April 21st, 2005, 10:40 PM
RandomRobot's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I've never heard of adverse reactions to Quorn, I certainly have never had any.
I've been eating it since 1993, I was at Uni and one of my friends worked in the Quorn Factory a few miles away, They only made the Quorn Chunks at that time and I got a great discount LOL - a lot of my friends ate it because it was cheaper than meat because of the discount we got, as far as I knew neither of them got a reaction to it. I suppose there is always some food product that someone has a reaction too... If you polled me whether Fish fingers were safe then I would put no because I had a terrible reaction to them 25 years ago LOL

Veggierocks, As for the Linda McCartney stuff - you may like it - I found it very strange tasting....but then I'm very fussy LOL
April 21st, 2005, 11:17 PM
Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally posted by scattymum@Apr 21 2005, 10:40 PM
I've never heard of adverse reactions to Quorn, I certainly have never had any.
I've been eating it since 1993, I was at Uni and one of my friends worked in the Quorn Factory a few miles away, They only made the Quorn Chunks at that time and I got a great discount LOL - a lot of my friends ate it because it was cheaper than meat because of the discount we got, as far as I knew neither of them got a reaction to it. I suppose there is always some food product that someone has a reaction too... If you polled me whether Fish fingers were safe then I would put no because I had a terrible reaction to them 25 years ago LOL

Veggierocks, As for the Linda McCartney stuff - you may like it - I found it very strange tasting....but then I'm very fussy LOL
[/quote]
Never had any reactions to Quorn either! Just wish I had discovered it sooner!
I'm actually not really into frozen dinners and such so I'm fine never trying LM dinners. Just surprised they aren't at all good.
November 11th, 2005, 02:24 PM
dingledine's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to dingledine Send a message via Yahoo to dingledine
1. Quorn
2. Morningstar
3. Worthington
4. Loma Linda
5. Gardenburger

Jewelry for yourself, or for a friend. Breastfeeding aides, beautiful bracelets, earings and more.

Store.beadsarebeautiful.com

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search