Did you know Altoids uses pork derived gelatin????

Forum: Vegetarian Mommies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Vegetarian Mommies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 20th, 2005, 12:55 AM
Super Mommy
Once I found this out I was so grossed out and I contacted them and they actually had the nerve to tell me their definition of a vegetarian which included eating chicken, seafood, and many other animal by products in addition to trying to convince me that animal by product by definition are not considered meat product! They claimed that to obtain the texture of the breathmints they needed to use pork gelatin! I have had other breathmints which have this same texture or better and do not use gelatin of ay kind! So their breath mints are basically Porktoids! Even as a meat eater I would be grossed out by this! I remember when I was a meat eater and finding out beef broth was in those sugary half moon shaped "fruit" and/or custard pies you'd find in mainstream grocery stores that coem in many different flavors and coated in an icing... I was so grossed out by that cause meat anything has no place in foods like that!

MMMMMMMMMM....nothing refreshes the breat better then PORK!
April 20th, 2005, 07:05 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Ewwww

SciGuy,14 Butterfly Girl,12 Wyldchild,7 FlowerFairy,5 and Babybird,3

and RK, 13, exchange student from Japan

My Homeschooling Blog:
April 20th, 2005, 07:45 AM
Lilah's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I am not surprised by their attitude.
April 20th, 2005, 11:12 AM
Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally posted by autumnsun@Apr 20 2005, 07:45 AM
I am not surprised by their attitude.*
<div align="right"><{POST_SNAPBACK}>
[/quote]
I can't say I was surprised as it takes a lot to surprise me when it comes to foul attitudes from customer service. I was surprised in a sense though that they had the nerve to define for me (knowing I'm a vegetarian) their definition of a vegetairn (which was so not accurate and I emailed them the actual definition of a vegetarian which was the exact opposite of theirs) and then trying to tell me that animal by products are not legally considered animal ingredients. Like I'm supoosed to go Oh Okay, well then bring on the porkmints!
April 20th, 2005, 01:09 PM
Lilah's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Yep - sometimes it seems like they make it up as they go along and expect you to blindly follow.
April 20th, 2005, 04:00 PM
Eden's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
OMG! I knew that post looked familiar! You're veggigoddess, right? That's cool!

and btw, gelatin is another reason I don't eat Jello.
April 20th, 2005, 04:08 PM
Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally posted by Eden@Apr 20 2005, 04:00 PM
OMG! I knew that post looked familiar! You're veggigoddess, right? That's cool!

and btw, gelatin is another reason I don't eat Jello.
[/quote]
Yes...I am veggigoddess. That name was taken so I had to use my alternate! How do you know of me?
Hain brand makes a vegan jello derived from veggi not animal gelatin. Tastes just like "regular" jello too!
April 21st, 2005, 01:27 AM
From veggieboards.
Where do you buy the Hain brand?
April 21st, 2005, 01:37 AM
Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally posted by Eden@Apr 21 2005, 01:27 AM
From veggieboards.
Where do you buy the Hain brand?
[/quote]
I have seen it at every Healthfood or natural food store. When I buy it I get it from Whole foods. http://www.hainpurefoods.com/store_locator/index.php
How did you know I was veggigoddess BTW? eBay or something?
April 21st, 2005, 12:05 PM
On veggieboards. You had the same post about Altoids and I new I read it elsewhere before.
April 21st, 2005, 12:12 PM
Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally posted by Eden@Apr 21 2005, 12:05 PM
On veggieboards. You had the same post about Altoids and I new I read it elsewhere before.
[/quote]
OHHHH!!!!! How funny! I am on 3 different boards trying to feel them out.
May 9th, 2005, 11:02 AM
MissyPrincessEha's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Well goodness that is gross!

May 10th, 2005, 12:01 AM
Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally posted by MissyPrincessEha@May 9 2005, 11:02 AM
Well goodness that is gross!
[/quote]
I know! Even before I became vegetairan I would had thought that was gross! I just don't get adding animal by products to something that shouldn't have any animal by products in it to begin with. Not so it's suitable for vegans and vegetarians, just because it's unnecessary all around.
May 10th, 2005, 10:22 AM
MissyPrincessEha's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
It really is uncalled for. There are so many things I don't eat because they add an animal by-product to it for no reason. I really feel that we have become mass murderers of these animals. People just use and use and they don't think of it as a live creature or that it lived a life of hell just so they could consume mass quantities of them. To them it is just a "ham" sandwich or a "steak"....no it is PIG sandwich and a massive hunk of cow tissue still oozing on their plate. Makes me so sad for the animals.

June 5th, 2005, 06:19 PM
Jynnie-Pooh's Avatar Veteran
Send a message via Yahoo to Jynnie-Pooh
Many sweets have gelatin in them like jelly worms, starburst, or skittles. It does not suprise me about the altoids...that is why I read all of my labels, even though it may be a bother at least I am not eating something I could have easily avoided.

The day I lost my little angel, even heaven cried...
June 5th, 2005, 10:13 PM
Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally posted by Jynnie-Pooh@Jun 5 2005, 06:19 PM
Many sweets have gelatin in them like jelly worms, starburst, or skittles. It does not suprise me about the altoids...that is why I read all of my labels, even though it may be a bother at least I am not eating something I could have easily avoided.
[/quote]
I know almost all gummie textured candies have gelatin, but was very surprised a hard candy such a Altoids woudl use gelatine. Have never seen any hard candy which used gelatin before.
June 13th, 2005, 09:25 PM
dingledine's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to dingledine Send a message via Yahoo to dingledine
Yes I know. Gelatin: Frosted Pop Tarts, Frosted Mini-Wheats, any marshmallow cereal, marshmellows, some Pasta Roni, tons of other dishes/foods also. Also as Mexi Rest. those have chicken based in most refried beans, rice dishes and their red sauce. Born a vegetarian and I am sure I will be until I die, I am TOTALLY into reading labels.

Jewelry for yourself, or for a friend. Breastfeeding aides, beautiful bracelets, earings and more.

Store.beadsarebeautiful.com
June 14th, 2005, 01:09 PM
Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally posted by dingledine@Jun 13 2005, 09:25 PM
Yes I know.* Gelatin:* Frosted Pop Tarts, Frosted Mini-Wheats, any marshmallow cereal, marshmellows, some Pasta Roni, tons of other dishes/foods also.* * Also as Mexi Rest. those have chicken based in most refried beans, rice dishes and their red sauce.* Born a vegetarian and I am sure I will be until I die, I am TOTALLY into reading labels.
[/quote]
I found out a couple years ago that many Mexican restaurants use lard in their re-fried beans as do most of the mainstream canned brands and since then I always make sure to ask when at a Mex restaurant. Most of the chain one's use lard I have discovered. Considering re-fried beans w/out the use of lard either taste way better if not exactly the same (including texture and consistecny) I haven't a clue why lard is still used in beans? So nasty!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search