weaning vegan

Forum: Vegetarian Mommies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By mgm78
  • 1 Post By Spider123

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Vegetarian Mommies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 25th, 2013, 06:55 PM
Erin.minus.thyroid's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I am starting the weaning process with my DD who is almost 18mo old. She has had cow milk but its a rare occurrence. My son who is 7 still drinks cow milk and we are in the process of transitioning the cow milk out. My DD doesnt really care much about the cow milk, she drinks mostly water, occasionally coconut water or juice and breastmilk. Now she is only nursing in the morning, at naptime and at bedtime so I feel like she probably needs more but not necessarily cow milk. She does eat cheese and yogurt which we are also transitioning out of the house.

What should I give her instead of cow milk? I feel like we can just totally get rid of milk altogether instead of buying almond or coconut milk. We wont do soy milk because we dont eat soy.

Right now she eats quite a bit of fruit, some veggies (pretty much anything that isnt a leaf, she hates leaves), some seeds and nuts, loves dark chocolate (the 85% cocoa bars). She has had meat and dairy and eggs (she doesnt like eggs at all) because we have not been totally veggie since before I was pg with her and it threw a wrench in my diet. We want to totally get rid of all animal products and stick with as much whole foods as possible. I just worry about her the most since she is transitioning away from the breastmilk. Any advice?
DD born 1/3/12

June 26th, 2013, 05:18 AM
mgm78's Avatar Zoe's mom Meredith
Send a message via Yahoo to mgm78
we did unsweetened plain organic soy with a little flax oil in it for fat. You can use any non dairy milk and put a little flax in it for fat. My DD is vegan, but she did nurse until 3yo. I do not see any issues, as long as she is getting enough calories, fat, and hydration.
myfavoriteshoes likes this.

July 22nd, 2013, 08:26 AM
myfavoriteshoes's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Skype™ to myfavoriteshoes
either hemp milk, or soy milk are good replacements because they are higher protein then say almond milk.. we do a mix of almond and hemp here

August 3rd, 2013, 10:46 AM
myfavoriteshoes's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Skype™ to myfavoriteshoes
ohhh i found a link to an article's suggestions for milk alternatives for weaning toddlers...

7oz fortified unsweetened almond milk (plain or vanilla) + 2tbsp hemp protein powder (Bob's Red Mill brand) + 1tbsp cream of coconut (Goya brand)

that makes an 8oz cup

http://can.sagepub.com/content/4/1/8.full.pdf+html (on page 15)

Last edited by myfavoriteshoes; August 3rd, 2013 at 10:49 AM.
August 12th, 2013, 07:42 AM
Spider123's Avatar Veteran
We're vegan and ds is mostly weaned. He drinks water, kombucha, various herbal teas, smoothies, and the occaisional glass of juice.

I very rarely buy those cute little aseptic packages with white beverages in them any more because it's so easy to make your own: just toss 1 part almonds, hemp seeds, sunflower seeds, etc. and three parts water in your blender and push the appropriate button. You can add your own sweetener and a dash of vanilla extract or a spoon of cocoa powder if you want.

If she's already eating nuts and seeds, there isn't really any need to get your blender dirty, though.
myfavoriteshoes likes this.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search