not vegetarian, question for you

Forum: Vegetarian Mommies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Vegetarian Mommies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 27th, 2005, 11:57 PM
Veteran
Hi everybody,
I'm not vegetarian, but I have a few questions for anyone who would like to reply. If it's not ok, then you can delete my post.
What do you think of people who eat free range animals (wild), like deer, moose, rabbit, muskrat (personally ewww)? Are some of you only opposed to the living conditions that meat farm animals are raised in?
Do you believe that plants have a life force in them (or whatever you prefer to call it)?
I have thought about become vegetarian, but I do like some meat.
Expecting #2 in October
May 28th, 2005, 11:42 AM
Eden's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hi there, Bee!
You have some very interesting questions.

Firstly, people choose vegetarianism for various reasons: e.g. health, against cruelty to animals, religious beliefs, weight loss, etc.

For those concerned about animal cruelty, there will be a range of opinions about what you're asking about.
For me, I see myself as a self-named 'meat reductionist'... So personally, I do what I can to limit animal products because they are not necessary, unhealthy in large quantities for me, and can be cruel.

IMO, if this hunting is not just for show/ entertainment, if it doesn't lead to suffering (I know, this is hard to tell), and it doesn't disrupt the food web, I'm not overly disturbed by it. People will do what they want to do, especially if it's legal. I don't support it, and I sure don't supprt the cruel practices of farm/ factory raised animals.

For plants: sure they're alive. That's why we have the plant kingdom of living things. But I don't believe they can feel because they don't have nervous systems like most animals. So I don't believe they feel pain, etc, because they weren't made with pain receptors.

Why are you interested in vegetarianism? I do like some meat too, but my body does better on vegetarian ways of eating. However, I personally don't like to nit pick about foods when I'm someone else's guest. So I try to have no meat, or limit my consumption. At least that's where I'm now.

Good luck to you!
May 28th, 2005, 09:05 PM
Veteran
Thanks for the reply. I'm interested in vegetarianism because of a few reasons, weightloss, and improved health. But, hunting for meat is a major cultural tradition for me and my family. We fish, and hunt for some of our meat.
The only vegetarian person I know is my sister. My sister doesn't eat meat, but by no standards is she on a healthy vegetarian diet. So, if I were to become vegetarian I wouldn't want to eat like her. I'm also concerned about the food habits that my DD will be picking up if I don't start to eat healthy. She already wants to eat the junk that I eat.
In the nearby town where we buy groceries there isn't any organic produce. So, I'd have to travel 45 minutes if I wanted to buy organic. I understand that I could just buy regular produce instead.
I was asking about the plant life force or energy because traditionally in my culture some plants were considered animate, and others were inanimate. The animate ones were used as medicines. I don't fully understand the whole animate/inanimate thing though, so I wouldn't be able to elaborate any further.
Expecting #2 in October
May 29th, 2005, 06:26 AM
Eden's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Bee,
I know there are quite a bit of vegetarians that feed mainly on sweets, fries, potato chips, and other junk. That definitely isn't healthy and won't help with weight loss at all! Lots of veggies and fruits and whole grains are the best and most nutritious ways to veg.
Organics are definitely better, but you can be realistic with respect to where you can get your food.
I think it would help you to find out more about your culture's view on plant life. Culture is very important, as you know, and you may want your child aware of your culture without contradictions.

Please let me know what you decide to do. If you need support, let me know
May 31st, 2005, 02:49 PM
Lilah's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
What do you think of people who eat free range animals (wild), like deer, moose, rabbit, muskrat (personally ewww)? Are some of you only opposed to the living conditions that meat farm animals are raised in?

For me, I am an animal lover who just doesn't feel it is necessary to kill animals for food. I could never go out and kill an animal myself so I don't feel it is okay for me to eat what someone else has killed. But I really do find it disturbing how cruel this industry has become to animals. The way they are caged, killed, overall treated is way beyond inhumane. I really wish we would have stricter guidelines as to how animals should be treated.

Do you believe that plants have a life force in them (or whatever you prefer to call it)?

Yes, I do believe they have a life force. But I wouldn't be able to live if I didn't eat something. But it is something I think about.

This is slightly different but I find it really interesting so I will share. My mom was telling me about some research study they did where they brought these machines (which detected energy or something similar to that) into a forest to see how trees responded to humans. They would strike a tree and notice the spike in levels. Other times they would pretend to strike the tree and the levels weren't as high. So they were able to determine that the trees knew what was going on.

I try to take that one step further. All I can do in my life is to treat things as respectfully as I can. If I see little kids (or grownups )abusing a tree (hitting it with a bat, etc.) I always ask them to stop. I do not ever pick flowers because I don't believe in killing them just to enjoy their physical beauty for a few days. That actually started when I was a young girl. I would go out into our garden with my mom and lay there while she picked flowers. I would pretend to be the flowers and tell her that she was "killing me" and plead "please don't kill me". It drove my mom crazy and she would get really upset because she WOULD feel too guilty and wouldn't be able to pick anymore.

So, yes, I have always been very sensitive about these things.

June 5th, 2005, 06:15 PM
Jynnie-Pooh's Avatar Veteran
Send a message via Yahoo to Jynnie-Pooh
Your questions are interesting but not unusual to me because I hear them all the time. I became a vegitarian 5 years ago and when I did eat meat I did would have never ate free range animals and I really think that is wrong now adays.
Personally I do not eat meat because of the health message that is taught in my religion as a seventh day adventist. I do not like the way that animals on farms are treated and I probably never will.
Lastly, the only force that I believe plants have is the force that God gave them and I do not know what it might be.
Hope I answered your questions to your liking. Become a vegitarian, I promise after awhile you will not be able to tell the difference between veggie meat and real meat and then you will be able to see that meat is not the greatest.
RPM

The day I lost my little angel, even heaven cried...

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search