Healthy finger foods for tots

Forum: Vegetarian Mommies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Vegetarian Mommies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 4th, 2005, 06:09 AM
Mega Super Mommy
My DD is an 18mo veggetarian and just now getting to "that" stage. You know the one, this week she won't eat anything green, next week she won't eat anything mushy....etc. She doesn't yet have all of her teeth just her 4 top front, 2 bottom front and her 2 year molars (don't ask, I don't know why either ) So food is stilll simi limited.

Anyone got some good food idea's for toddlers? She is getting bored with what I give her now. Also, what's a good nut butter that's not peanut or soy? I was thinking almond, but I've never tried it,and it's 13 bucks a jar, I don't want to buy it to find out it's horrible.

TIA!!

</div>
August 4th, 2005, 08:22 AM
dingledine's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to dingledine Send a message via Yahoo to dingledine
Almond butter is pretty good, as is cashew butter. If there is a Whole Foods store near you, you can grind it yourself. It tastes best fresh. As for foods, I don't recall what I fed my oldest guy, and my little one is going to be at that stage in just over a year. I will think about it and post soon!

Jewelry for yourself, or for a friend. Breastfeeding aides, beautiful bracelets, earings and more.

Store.beadsarebeautiful.com
August 10th, 2005, 12:11 PM
I am still stumped as for something special. I guess at that age my oldest ate what I gave him, which was what the rest of us ate. I never really cooked or made him anything seperate, or special. His dad would even have him eat his salad before anything else. Sometimes my guy had problems being a slow eater, or not enjoying something, but over time he got used to food different food and realized he needed to eat what was served. Even food that made him gag intially (pea soup) he now says he enjoys. Keep in mind, that for a new food, it should be given many times so a child has a chance to get used to the new taste/texture before a food is classified as one that the child does not like. Even then it should be tried again in a year or so.

Jewelry for yourself, or for a friend. Breastfeeding aides, beautiful bracelets, earings and more.

August 11th, 2005, 07:51 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Yeah, I'm stumped too. She eats the same as us, even salad too!, but she is getting bored. She likes the strangest foods.....she loves plain steamed veggies and plain rice, but also loves dill pickles and baked nachos chips with HOT salsa. I don't let her eat it often though because I'm afraid it will hurt her tummy long term. She doesn't like potatoes anymore, though sometimes she'll eat a little bit of sweet potates. She just doesn't eat much of anything anymore and I'm looking for snack type foods high in nutrician to cram in as much nutrician in as little food as possible. She eats lots of fruit, but is slowing down on the veggies, she only eats a couple of bites everyday. Grains are slow too. Protein is probably her best group atm, she loves those soy deli slices all of a sudden, but she hates beans and tofu, but she does like hummus on pita bread. Dairy isn't so great, she drinks maybe 6-12 ozs of milk a day, a little bit of cheese, but she's loves yogurt.

I've been doing things like chopping veggies REALLY finely and adding them to her pasta, and adding soy slices to her grilled cheeses for lunchs. A friend of mine just suggested spreading jared baby mixed veggies on her grilled cheese too, I might just picked some up and try it. I wish I could give her raw veggies, but I don't thin kshe can chew em.

</div>
August 17th, 2005, 09:40 AM
I just got a great book from the library, it has food suggestions and lots of recipes, including vegetarian ones, for up to 3 years old children. The book is called Super Food. I strongly suggest you borrow or buy the book.

August 17th, 2005, 02:23 PM
Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to HippyChickKelly
Yea The book Super baby food is a good book!!
August 17th, 2005, 03:52 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Thanks Ladies! I'll pick it up for sure! I need all then help I can get, getting this lil monster to eat

</div>
August 18th, 2005, 06:55 AM
RandomRobot's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
hi there, my DS is nearly 2 and really picks at his foods, he changes his mind from one day to the next. I tend to leave little plates of finger food around for him

quorn nuggets or quorn sausages cut up into smaller pieces
cubes of cheese
slices of cucumber ( he would eat cucumber all day if I let him LOL)
peas and sweetcorn
crackers

thats all i can think of at the moment - good luck!
August 18th, 2005, 07:14 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Thanks!!

</div>

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search