Pediatricians

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Hearing and Speech Impairments LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 14th, 2008, 06:22 PM
jenniferleighxo's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to jenniferleighxo
I do not know if it's only me, but I put a lot maybe too much faith in the Pediatrician. You know every visit they ask you questions to make sure your child is developing at the right rate and are staying on track with their peers. We'll, do you notice most of the questions are on physical activity? I feel they need to be more educated in the speech field. I, as a first time mother to Evan never once thought he was delayed. It took family & friends to come to me! I really wish the doctor would have questioned his growth and development & SPEECH!

I think they should have more training in this field, so it can be caught early!

</div><div align="center">

</div>
September 14th, 2008, 06:27 PM
Chunky Monkey's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Chunky Monkey Send a message via Yahoo to Chunky Monkey
I thought so too. They were worried about Cody's lack of eye contact and how rigid and stiff he was, she recommended he se a developmental pediatrician for the possibilty of autism.

September 14th, 2008, 06:30 PM
Evan always met his milestones - early. He was crawling on time, but started walking at 9.5-10 months. They were so happy with that. But, no questions were ever geared towards how his speech was going. I think it should be brought up more. But, I am grateful we have found it early, and I can't wait to get on the road to success and happiness with Evan's speech! That feeling will be priceless for years to come! I have so much faith in our boy!

</div>
September 14th, 2008, 06:32 PM
Send a message via AIM to Chunky Monkey Send a message via Yahoo to Chunky Monkey
You are doing great mama! Getting him tested and in the right interventions is important. Often time too many parents ignore the signs of any problems and figure it will "correct itself." Sometimes it will, sometimes it won't. You are doing what you feel is necessary for Evan.

September 14th, 2008, 06:35 PM
Thank you!!!

</div>
September 14th, 2008, 06:40 PM
No problem. I just wish I would have heard that more when I first started going through this with Cody almost 3 years ago. I soent many days wondering if I was worrying over "nothing" because Scott refused to think there was something going on with our son. Or that it might have been my fault. My MIL found something on the 'net about how it's all enviromental and that we needed to go totally organic blah blah blah. So I started blaming myself till I found out how ridiculous it was.

September 14th, 2008, 06:44 PM
It's so true.

I went through a lot emotionally. A friend came to me and was worried and thought I should have Evan evaluted for Autism. I was so heart broken. I spoke w/ Evan's pediatrician and as we as the evaluators and they said no way does he have autism. So, that was a relief, so sometimes things are brought up to bring light to a matter, I believe. As when this friend told me the symptoms my youngest brother came to mind and he is being evaluated in October for it. Everything happens for a reason, I believe that.

</div>
September 15th, 2008, 10:01 AM
fiefer87's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My pediatrician has always been super wonderful, asking about gross motor, speech, and as she got a little older school work and the likes, but she also has had a diagnosis from 6 months of age (the septo-optic dysplasia) that leads to all of these delays, and the autism, and mental retardation, and the likes, so I think that has made it easier for us becuase her pedi was expecting to see these kinds of things.
September 15th, 2008, 10:16 AM
I wish there were more out there like that! To me mine always seem rush rush to get the next patient in.

</div>
September 16th, 2008, 09:33 AM
fiefer87's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We are very blessed with her pedi. He is soo wonderful. Though there are doctors in the practice (its a family medicine place) that i do not like for those reasons, always making me feel rushed

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search