Social Security Income?

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Hearing and Speech Impairments LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 22nd, 2008, 07:33 AM
jenniferleighxo's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to jenniferleighxo
If this is not too personal, does anybody receive this for their children? I have been told to apply for this, but not sure.

</div><div align="center">

</div>
September 22nd, 2008, 08:44 AM
fiefer87's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I tried to apply for my dd, who is autistic, visually impaired, and has moderate MR, but even with all her disabilities, they still counted our income, and we made too much money. We are going to go through a group here that set up case workers who deal specifically with these kinds of things. Don't want to scare you away from it, but we had a lot of problems, and still didn't get it, even with all of her disabilities.
September 22nd, 2008, 03:16 PM
That's horrible, because I know other's with far less disabilities who get it, ugh.

I was told they take bills into account and deduct that from your income, is that true?

</div>
September 23rd, 2008, 09:22 AM
They didn't with us, but even if we met the income, we would have had trouble with the investment/saving portion. You could only have 1 car deducted and we own 3, one being a summer convertible, not owrth much, but of course worth more than the allotted amount, and I got a settlement from Woreker's Comp from a knee injury at one of my jobs. That was a very substational amount and we invested it which very easily put us over the top of the limits.
September 23rd, 2008, 10:49 AM
okay, I understand.

We (blushes) don't have savings, it was all used to buy our first home last summer. We don't "own" any cars. We make payments on our, one car. I know my mom applied for my brother w/ speech issues and got it, but she also makes next to nothing. We shall see.

</div>
September 23rd, 2008, 12:51 PM
The really crappy thing is, is if I really had the time to fight for it and take all the time off, and do the appeals, and maybe even go to court, I could probably get it for her, regardless of our income. I find it soooo frustrating because we aren't "poor" but we really aren't even close to middle class. I think we made like 4 grand more than the limit, and then add in our cars (which we own, except for one) and of course my settlement which I didn't have to pay taxes on b/c it was comp and now we are getting screwed because we have it invested? Yeah its crap. But I am working on getting a case manager through one of the offices that represent developmentally disabled children and this one thing I am really gonna work with getting for Alexis, especially our medicaid waiver.
September 23rd, 2008, 06:22 PM
Quote:
The really crappy thing is, is if I really had the time to fight for it and take all the time off, and do the appeals, and maybe even go to court, I could probably get it for her, regardless of our income. I find it soooo frustrating because we aren't "poor" but we really aren't even close to middle class. I think we made like 4 grand more than the limit, and then add in our cars (which we own, except for one) and of course my settlement which I didn't have to pay taxes on b/c it was comp and now we are getting screwed because we have it invested? Yeah its crap. But I am working on getting a case manager through one of the offices that represent developmentally disabled children and this one thing I am really gonna work with getting for Alexis, especially our medicaid waiver.[/b]
I understand totally. It's like to the government you make too much, but in reality it isn't! =(

If you don't mind me asking - what is your annual household salary? I am asking because, I don't want to even get my hopes up, if say we make the same - you could pm me if you didn't mind, but if you mind I totally understand!!!

I hope you are able to take it on and get help!

</div>
September 24th, 2008, 07:14 AM
sending pm

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search