Does it drive anyone else crazy

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Hearing and Speech Impairments LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 2nd, 2008, 08:09 AM
HunterandLandonsmom's Avatar Super Mommy
when people throw in their two cents about your child being delayed? i have so many people tell me "oh isn't 2.5/3 young to tell if they are delayed"..."oh, my nephew didn't talk until he was almost 4, so i'm sure that is all this is" or my least fav. "oh, once he starts talking more you'll want him to shut up...enjoy it"...wth? Are you kidding me...i know some people are probably in some wierd way trying to make you feel better, but it annoys me to no end...

October 2nd, 2008, 08:37 AM
fiefer87's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
OMG, just wait until they get older and still don't talk. My dd is 6 and has major communication issues and of course her speech can still be difficult to understand. The looks I get, and some of the comments, I just want to shove my foot up someone's you know what.
October 2nd, 2008, 04:10 PM
LadyTkachenko's Avatar *~GreenTeamFeb2015~*
YES!!! It makes me what to whip someone! I always get that since she just turned 2. People are always telling me how they didn't start talking until they were 2 and how she is probably just fine.

October 3rd, 2008, 05:43 AM
jenniferleighxo's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to jenniferleighxo
OMG! I know! I think when people say things like that for me it makes me feel as if, is there something wrong? And the shutting up remark makes me SO mad! I had a friend who would say that all the time and I always waited for the "time" when Evan would talk so much and it never happened! So, that aggravated me as well!

It's so hard for them to know exactly what is going on with our children. And if you haven't dealt with it, it's hard!

</div><div align="center">

</div>
October 3rd, 2008, 06:33 AM
Quote:
It's so hard for them to know exactly what is going on with our children. And if you haven't dealt with it, it's hard![/b]
I definately agree. My dd is the only one in our extended circle of family and friends with serious medical issues and global developmental delays, so its been somewhat tough. Though I do think with her underlying visual impairment and autism, it makes it easier for those that know us to accept her limitations and differnt developmental pattern, but anyone who we don't really know, I can't stand it when they make comments like that.
October 3rd, 2008, 08:09 AM
HunterandLandonsmom's Avatar Super Mommy
I get alot of "oh he isn't that far behind, is he?"...like lets say that he isn't "that far"...he is still behind and needs help, why would i not get it for him. ...

And you know my DH just admitted to me like 2 months ago that he didn't think Hunter was "really speech delayed"(even though he was evaulted by professionals who said he was) ...just maybe a tad behind, until he took him to a party with kids only 2/2.5 and they talked WAY better than Hunter. He apologized and said that we need to do all we can for Hunter

October 3rd, 2008, 08:52 AM
Sometimes its hard, especially if its your first child (or oldest) and don't know what to expect so you may not really see the delays until they are with kids their own age who are developmentally normal. We sometimes had that problem, thinking Alexis was not as delayed as she was, until we saw her with developmentally normal children. Though, if a professional told us she was delayed, I believed it.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search