Hoping someone heard this or experienced this?

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Hearing and Speech Impairments LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 21st, 2008, 06:17 AM
Mom of 3 Preemie girls
My daughter Crystal was born at 32w 3d gestation because I had HELLP Syndrome and spent roughly 2.5wks in the hospital. She came home and is right on track with 90% of development etc.
She was diagnosed with GERD and gastroparesis at a early early age and has been on a string of medications to help with that. She has had a string of ear infections, RSV, upper resp. etc. Shes never been a "healthy" kid by any stretch of the imagination but nothing serious.

At 12m she was saying dadadada and mamamama but not mommy or daddy just the sounds. She can say a few things but not often or frequent. So I wasn't worried since kids sometimes aren't vocal.
When we talk to her she seems to act like she just doesn't care we counted it as stubborn then anything because of her personality.
Well they sent us to a ENT because the last 2 ear infections her ears have ruptured both times. So I got the appt for yesterday after we returned from Disney.

Well they first did a hearing test. She looked left 2 times only and maybe looked right 1/2 the time. I held her for the entire test and she did part one with the headphones on no problem minus the hearing part and then they checked again with them off. I could hear everything with them on and off so I knew she wasn't responding at all. So I like any mother am freaking out.
The ENT said that there is a lot of fluid in both her ears built up and he wants tubes and adneoids removed immediately. I asked why so quick and he said we need to see if the hearing corrects itself after the fluid is draining properly.
So I asked should I be concerned about her hearing. He explained that there is lil to no hearing in her left ear and her right is considerably decreased. He said he wants the tubes placed immediately to see if it corrects otherwise we will be going thru more testing and go from there.

I am concerned that I didn't push this hard enough and made my daughter deaf. They tried to tell me to worry but not to worry because it could correct, COULD. That makes me worry. I feel horrible like I let her down.

So Oct 30th we go for the surgery unless they have a cancellation we will be bumped up he said and only giving 24hours notice. I am not scared about the surgery, I had it done 2 times as a kid and she has been under general before for GERD testing. I am concerned that I didn't push the ear situation and her speech harder and its been going on 7m plus

Sorry done rambling. It doesn't help that I am the reason she was born at 32wks so I blame all her 'problems' on it and then add that I am pregnant again in another high risk pregnancy (not by choice, both girls were fertility meds this one is a miracle). I am scared I could "damage" another child.

October 21st, 2008, 07:25 AM
quietsong's Avatar Just Another Slacker Mom
Send a message via MSN to quietsong
First off, hon, don't beat up on yourself! These things happen, and you did NOT cause it. Even the best doctors will be very hesitant to do anything like tubes at such a young age. My ENT said that in most babies he won't do them until they're a year old because so many kids grow out of that stuff quickly. One rupture during an ear infection is also fairly common and not generally considering a huge issue - you did the right thing by getting to an ENT after the second one. Unfortunately, no one would have pushed any harder ... don't think that you failed. If there was ANY indication that it was going to be an issue, your doctor would have picked up on it and let you know. Especially considering she does babble some! As someone with a deaf baby, I certainly wouldn't have suspected a hearing loss if my baby was babbling like that.

Also, I absolutely agree that once the fluid drains you will see an improvement in her hearing. Danny didn't have any fluid on his ears, just a dull looking ear drum, and when he got the tubes put in he got a 5dB increase in his unaided hearing, so getting tubes and the fluid drained should definitely help!

For your next child, honestly, it will be FINE! Now that you know what has happened with Crystal, you will know what to look for with your next baby.

Good luck! I look forward to hearing what goes on going forward. If you have any questions about hearing loss, I'll be glad to do whatever I can to help.

Visit My Blog, and come join me at the JM Blogs!
Thank you Jaidynsmum for the siggy!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search